Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

lyarbrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2.9L Whipple S/C
Same here, I was really hoping the new belt and routing would make the chirp go away. As Dustin mentioned, they are working on it and I have total confidence this issue will be resolved.
Definitely, I am not too worried about it, although I can't stand driving the car right now, haha.
Sponsored

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Anything new?

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
My car sheared a tensioner the other day and began to eat my belt. Starting to lose my patience with the belt system :rant:
tensioner.jpg

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
My car sheared a tensioner the other day and began to eat my belt. Starting to lose my patience with the belt system :rant:
Wow, hope mine doesn't come to that. It is getting worse everyday but I don't push it hard because the noise juts becomes more intense and is just embarrassing.

Sponsored

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I had my Whipple installed 2 weeks ago in the UK so I assume it included the new routing.
I was there on first start up and immediately the belt squealed loudly in two places,one was the top pulley and the other lower down.I am no mechanic and was also trying to keep out the way,but the lower one was fixed by torqueing up the pulley with the balancer.
For the upper one the mechanic put a rope around the main pulley plate and pulled it hard with the engine running,the noise immediately stopped.He then took off and machined down what looked like a half inch spacer with a raised centre ring ,refitted it and the squeal was totally gone ,and 1000 miles later still silent.

Sorry can't be more specific but I can find out exactly what he did if required.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
In for updates from [MENTION=13288]Whipple SC[/MENTION]

lyarbrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I e-mailed last week looking for an update, but did not hear anything back.

Car has been sitting for 2 weeks now, can't stand the noise it makes and don't want to risk possibly making something worse. I am sure Whipple is working on a solution for us.

For now, I'll just keep driving the girl friend's bad ass 2007 Mazda 3 with 145,000 miles. :'(

lyarbrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my Whipple installed 2 weeks ago in the UK so I assume it included the new routing.
I was there on first start up and immediately the belt squealed loudly in two places,one was the top pulley and the other lower down.I am no mechanic and was also trying to keep out the way,but the lower one was fixed by torqueing up the pulley with the balancer.
For the upper one the mechanic put a rope around the main pulley plate and pulled it hard with the engine running,the noise immediately stopped.He then took off and machined down what looked like a half inch spacer with a raised centre ring ,refitted it and the squeal was totally gone ,and 1000 miles later still silent.

Sorry can't be more specific but I can find out exactly what he did if required.
I would be curious to hear how it was fixed, but I can't imagine all of our chirps/squeals are due to the same exact issue. The noise is coming from misaligned stock components, so it sounds like the mechanic may have added the spacer to offset that misalignment.

Mine definitely makes noise from two locations, too, the top where the s/c pulley is, and from the water pump pulley. :shrug: I wish it was just the original chirp I had now, haha.

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I would be curious to hear how it was fixed, but I can't imagine all of our chirps/squeals are due to the same exact issue. The noise is coming from misaligned stock components, so it sounds like the mechanic may have added the spacer to offset that misalignment.

Mine definitely makes noise from two locations, too, the top where the s/c pulley is, and from the water pump pulley. :shrug: I wish it was just the original chirp I had now, haha.
The RHD cars should have exactly the same pulley setup ,but I am sure he removed the spacer( maybe wrong word ?) and machined it down ,as I watched him take it off.I will contact him to find out exactly what was machined and post back ( he is in Cancun at present).

Sponsored

lyarbrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The RHD cars should have exactly the same pulley setup ,but I am sure he removed the spacer( maybe wrong word ?) and machined it down ,as I watched him take it off.I will contact him to find out exactly what was machined and post back ( he is in Cancun at present).
I see, I think I read it wrong originally.

I would be interested to hear the solution. I am surprised you heard squealing right as it was installed, my noise did not happen until about 500 miles, and I believe most did not have issues until a few hundred miles, at least.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Most of us had the noise develop over time, and some more than others. I noticed some misalignment of the whipple idler plate when installing on my new engine. My thoughts are variances in the timing cover are an issue. Some of the location the idler plate and spacer mount aren't meant as a exact machined surface to have something like the idler plate mounted to. The other issue I found is the very top of the plate bolts to the supercharger and that has a variance because of the mount of the lower intake to the heads and then SC to the intake. Whipple explained to me that they are developing a new system or fix that can tolerate these variances.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This is the second time a picture of a broken tensioner dowel has been posted could there be some common problem that's causing this ? For the older S197 and GT500 the THUMPER tensioner was known to be a fix for many squealing and belt slip issues maybe they need to make one for this application.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
This is the second time a picture of a broken tensioner dowel has been posted could there be some common problem that's causing this ? For the older S197 and GT500 the THUMPER tensioner was known to be a fix for many squealing and belt slip issues maybe they need to make one for this application.
The breaking of the pin is due to the tensioner slamming closed. Most of the time that is related to setting up with minimal travel, allowing the tensioner to bang during rev limit or speed shifting as the engine miss causes the belt to stretch.

We originally had called for 19 ft/lb of torque on the 8mm bolt holding the tensioner on. We changed that to 25 ft/lb to help eliminate any chance of the tensioner moving during these events and circumstances.
Sponsored