Which car do I choose ? M1 vs 13’ GT500

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Would really love some outside perspectives and owners thoughts.
just clarify who I am, and where I’m coming from.
I want to buy a daily driver that I keep forever. Like I want to pass this thing down to my son who’s only 2. We have a family car that gets most of the miles so this car really just takes me to work (mostly highway)with some bumper to bumper traffic at times, and the gym/small errands.

It’s always been a dream to own a GT500 and I owned a ‘12 and 13’ mustang convertibles so that style is something I love. So naturally the GT500 is a perfect match in theory. I also used to be big into convertibles. Buts it’s been 6 years and a whole family built since then. I also know there’s a lot of tech missing there when it comes to a DD vs today, let’s be honest it was pretty dated tech even in 13’

Originally I wanted the 19’ GT350, I thought the car was special, but after a deep rabbit hole I’ve decided it’s a bad daily and unbelievable, maybe it isn’t but it’ll keep me up at night sweating a engine rebuild eventually.

which lead me to a mach 1, it’s classic badging, the front grill some-what reminds me of a 13’ I love the body, the track pack wing ect. The jet fighter grey is gorgeous and of course and maybe most importantly the brilliant tremec. I know the 5.0 is bullet proof and will last forever, it has all the new comforts and tech. It is a brilliant car top to bottom.

would love some owners thoughts on these cars maybe someone has owned both and can give me new things to consider on my buying process. I actively have both cars close by, I’ve driven both and love both for different reason they are very different cars
Sponsored

VVG_MACH-1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach-1 HP
I've driven many 2007-2014 mustangs (GTs and GT500s) and while they are fun for their age they are not fun to drive often. The interior is especially bland and ugly IMO, like staring at a wall of cheap plastic. And their transmissions/motors leave much to be desired for me. (I know later years have better motors than 2007-2011). I have been DDing my Mach-1 for a year now and its such a easy car to enjoy, relax, or drive hard in.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I've never driven a S-197 based GT500 but the trinity engine was the peak for that platform. They were 662 hp stock for 13-14 only. But like you said the tech was dated even when they were new.

My suggestion, get a mach 1 equipped how you like in your favorite color and throw a whipple on it. The mach's are 480 hp stock and with a whipple, you'll easily surpass a stock 13-14 GT500. You'll have the better car car with more power than a stock 500. And you'll have a better looking car too. To me the 21-23 mach is the best looking mustang to roll out of detroit since the 69 boss 429

BTW since the mach's are fairly new, the chances of finding exactly what you want are a lot better than finding a pristine 13-14 500 how you like it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I've never driven a S-197 based GT500 but the trinity engine was the peak for that platform. They were 662 hp stock for 13-14 only. But like you said the tech was dated even when they were new.

My suggestion, get a mach 1 equipped how you like in your favorite color and throw a whipple on it. The mach's are 480 hp stock and with a whipple, you'll easily surpass a stock 13-14 GT500. You'll have the better car car with more power than a stock 500. And you'll have a better looking car too. To me the 21-23 mach is the best looking mustang to roll out of detroit since the 69 boss 429

BTW since the mach's are fairly new, the chances of finding exactly what you want are a lot better than finding a pristine 13-14 500 how you like it.
I have thought about that, but I know me, and I won’t actually drop the 10+ grand to do it. Once I buy the car that’s it for me outside small bolt ons or exhaust at the most. Speed isn’t the most important thing to me necessarily as much as how the car feels driving it. Like the GT350 5.2 Is just a “special” experience, it’s not the fastest, but the feeling, the sound is …special idk how else to say it.
that “special” feeling matters, and to each cars credit I think they are for very different reasons

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'd still get a mach 1 and throw on some long tubes and tune it for E85 and enjoy the car then.

Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I suggest the Mach 1 because the ride (with independent rear suspension and Magneride) is so much better. You'll enjoy it, and your 2-year-old will appreciate the forethought.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I haven't driven a '13 GT500, even though I used to think that car was so badass when it came out, and (like many people in the forum you're asking) I'm probably biased towards the M1 now since I own and love it... but being as practical and logical as I can, I just cannot imagine very many worlds where one would enjoy driving an S197 GT500 over a Mach 1 day-to-day.

To me, the new Mach 1 is in many ways the peak overall Mustang experience. Ever. The balance of performance, reliability, engagement, comfort/modern amenities, practicality... It doesn't do everything better, but it's total score for all those categories may well be untouched. Only downside I can think of is that it's possible the additional fancy tech will have slightly more issues/higher costs in the long term.

... Well that and it's more expensive, and will cost even more on top of that if you want comparable straight-line performance. Holy hell those GT500s have held their value stupidly well. OK, all the more reason to get the Mach 1.

Last edited:

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Definitely, positively, absolutely get the M1. Then as a few years pass, you never know, you may be able to buy the 500 as well for a fun weekend ride. “ Life is like a box of chocolates.”

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
The Mach 1 is a nice looking vehicle. Stock startup exhaust noise is really nice and way louder vs the Bullitt. I wouldn't want to change the exhaust at all. It will look good even after 15 years.
I would just do the typical stop the hop kit and front K-member extreme brace.

There is one at my work and I always look at it. There is something special about it.

20240319_141951.JPG
20240327_113825.JPG

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP I mean you really can't go wrong with either.
Personally, I've always been a convertible lover so GT500 vert would be my choice. Truly something special since the convertible Shelby gets high performance + top down fun. Hearing the engine burble with the top down is just a crazy experience. The Mach is certainly cool, reliable and much newer but I would go the Shelby route.
Maybe also ask your son on which one he would like if it comes to that?
You won't regret either.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Having owned a '07 GT500 (and a vert at that) for many years, that choice is easy: Mach 1.

The '13-'14 GT500s are better cars than the earlier S197 units, but still not as good of an all-rounder as the S550, IMO.

I never really loved my '07, but in retrospect I think a lot of it was because it was a vert. Too compromised in terms of handling (nose heavy, lots of cowl shake), and I found out the hard way that convertible performance cars aren't my thing. Convertible tops are for Jeeps. :wink:

NoCo302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Got rid of my 14 GT500 and recently bought a Mach 1 and added a Procharger. I prefer the coyote platform. I think the 13-14 GT500s are going to be expensive to own and maintain in the coming years with parts being difficult to find. My favorite S197 is the Boss 302 and I'm fortunate to own one.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
Oddly I have been thinking of getting a 13/14 once I pay off the mach 1 to add to the stable. I am worried every time I get in it i am gonna go

"the mach is better in almost every way."

I am thinking of switching platforms just to avoid any disappointment of constantly comparing the cars and say "I tried something different"

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
I'd personally go 13/14 GT500 all day. I'm not owning/driving a muscle car for the tech. I want it for 662hp of fury under that hood.
Sponsored