Sponsored

What would prevent you from buying the S650?

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
The dark horse is overpriced imo...so cost. The Supra will probably replace my 21GT when the time comes.
Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Why would I buy a car from a truck company? This is the Mustang a truck company builds as they're trying to milk the last penny of profit from a dying platform.

I hate the gaping maw look and generic SUV lights on the front. The sides and rear are not an improvement but at least tolerable.

The interior is worse than anything I would have imagined. Worst case I would have bet on a proper hooded digital dash with a tacked on iPad. Instead we get two tacked on iPads with virtually no Mustang cues in the interior at all. The horror.

This is the new malaise era Mustang.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Here are the numbers for the 2001

2001 Mustang Bullitt Specs
Specification2001 Mustang Bullitt GT
Base Price$26,230
Models ProducedTotal produced (coupe only): 5,582 - Dark Highland Green: 3,041 - Black: 1,819 - True Blue: 722
Engine90-degree SOHC 16-valve 4.6L V8
TransmissionTremec TR-3650 5-speed manual
I wish those jokers would release the sales numbers for 2020.

From what I understand there were more black in 2019, but the 2020s were only by order, so far fewer.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
My bank account balance.

Also I think they are ugly. But to be fair, I didn't like the 2010 refresh but then bought a 2012 Mustang 3 years later. Oh and when the S550 came out I swore I would never own one. However, I love my 2017 Mustang GT

So clearly my taste in cars is fickle. Not sure my bank will ever catch up though
I think when it comes to exterior styling you are probably right.

However the interior as it currently is in both the base and the upper trans is unforgivable and intolerable.

I think I said this earlier, but I'm not opposed to the digital screens. It's how they integrated them, *correct that..... how they just tacked them on and didn't integrate them.

Last edited:

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Why would I buy a car from a truck company? This is the Mustang a truck company builds as they're trying to milk the last penny of profit from a dying platform.
Excellent point.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I did some checking on rising prices, taking inflation into account.

It's staggering how expensive cars are now. Hell, back in 1968 you could get a 911 S for something like $57K, and a Mustang GT started at $21,822.00
Ummmm.... Me thinks you meant 1986 :-) hahaha

I recently specd out a base 911 with only adding paint wheels perforated seats and the glass sunroof. $137k..... The S was closer to $150k...

A stripping off the glass sunroof I still was over $120k. In the immortal words of Dickie Richard's childhood star "That's nukin futs"

If I was making $$$ I am now and planned to work another 10 years I'd be driving a 911 right now. However retirement is a year away (60) and I want to be realistic with my new fixed income, and enjoy life before cutting slingload.

When it comes to cost of ownership insurance maintenance and repairs you really cannot beat a modern Mustang for cost of ownership, ease of wrenching and fun/performance quotient.

I test drove 10 to 15 cars in my search and the Bullitt was the Goldilocks car for me. I briefly considered going to the Mach 1 in fighter jet gray, but could not find one with a stripe package deletion.

I wonder if the marketing folks over at Bud light and Miller light had anything to do with the S650 design?

I'm sure it will sell, but to who?

If Ford is smart they'll trim and round off some of the edges, go with a less minivan style headlight design and integrate the screens into the dash with the classic twin cowl Mustang dashboard.

Last edited:

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm with you on this... I was an '04-'09 fan, didn't much care for the '10 plus until my son came home with one and I really liked the interior better than my '08's rubbermaid interior. Then the S550 was announced and I thought "No way"...doesn't even resemble the retro re-do that Ford did on the S197. Then about 2017 I started lusting for the '18's and now finally have a '22.

Took that long for my bank account to get caught up.

I can't get past the exterior of the S650. I'm not "mad" at the interior but all the reasons against it others gave have merit.

Unless the S650 gets better looking in a future refresh - or the next gen Mustang looks/performs better - my S550 may be my last Mustang. They may all be electric by then anyway...lol.
I hear you, I think my 2017 Mustang will be my last new Mustang purchase........oh wait I have said that before. I mean in 1985 I thought the new mail slot looking grill on the Mustang was fugly. So much so that I have owned two 85GTs - one is parked next to my 2017. Fickle.....

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I like the style and features. The auto start/stop is something you can deactivate in most cars that have it, so it's just a minor inconvenience. I don't like the price and have not been impressed with Mustang quality.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I want to buy another V8 before the great gig in the sky. I wish it could be a Mustang. I also wish they would have learned sooner that we don't want to adjust the radio with an ipad, but with a knob. I fear it's too late now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I want to buy another V8 before the great gig in the sky. I wish it could be a Mustang. I also wish they would have learned sooner that we don't want to adjust the radio with an ipad, but with a knob. I fear it's too late now.
C6 or C7 z06 maybe? I loved my c6 z06 the time I had it. Wish I would’ve kept it. That and my 04 cobra :(

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
C6 or C7 z06 maybe? I loved my c6 z06 the time I had it. Wish I would’ve kept it. That and my 04 cobra :(
Yeah, not a huge fan of the bowtie. Ford was my first domestic automaker, tbh. I'd love to stick with them. Maybe I'll just run these wheels into the ground. I don't have any complaints now - I honestly don't see what they can improve on what I have now.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Yeah, not a huge fan of the bowtie. Ford was my first domestic automaker, tbh. I'd love to stick with them. Maybe I'll just run these wheels into the ground. I don't have any complaints now - I honestly don't see what they can improve on what I have now.
No worries, hope you find something. Maybe an 03-04 cobra?

I never had bias against one company or another. I’ve had corvettes, mustangs, and even a SRT 8 charger back in 2013. They were all fun cars and I would have kept the vette if these Houston streets didn’t suck so bad, lol.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the electric acceleration will excite my soul. We'll see. Hard to see how the butt dyno can be convinced without the V8 bark, tho. Maybe I should just STFU and drive.
Sponsored