Sponsored

What is your benchmark?

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My benchmarks will be my 2011 V6, the 2014 I test drove back in April and my father's 2013 Lexus GS350.

I'll be comparing everything to my Mustang , expecting it to be improved in every single way. The finish , material used, the buttons , trim pieces , etc.

The steering for my V6 is extremely light and easy...That was one of the first things I noticed when test driving the '14 GT. Much heavier, and felt "stiffer". Not a bad feeling, just not what I'm used to. So it will be interesting to see how the 2015 compares.

I'm hoping for a happy medium.

Power/acceleration wise...Well I know I won't be disappointed!

I'm curious as to how loud the exhaust will be as well. I did have a Magnaflow Comp. Catback (the loudest one). It only really droned past 80 mph. That or my brain filtered out the drone from 65-70 , because I stopped hearing it after awhile ;) I hate quiet cars. Hearing the noise is half of it, Feeling the noise completes it :D

I want an audible exhaust, and if the Autocross video is any indication I think I'll be happy.

Now for the Lexus GS350. Pretty much the only IRS /Summer Tire car I've driven regularly.

While Lexus' are regarded as one of the most comfortable cars in the world, I don't expect the Mustang to equal them, but that's okay. My seats are just fine and from what I've heard the stock 2015 seats are miles better.

Comfort wise, I'll take whatever. Mine is lower and stiffer so I'm used to being jostled on highway bumps.

As long as I feel what I'm driving on and not floating on it, I'll be happy.

The biggest difference compared to my current car is The IRS /Summer Tire combo inspires much more confidence on all surfaces and is still surprisingly compliant yet stiff enough for some-what spirited driving.

Right now I'm pretty confident the 2015 will surpass nearly all cars I've bench marked it against.

The 2015 Mustang will be the best car... In the World (Clarkson Voice) :ford:

Edit: I will be going around more twists and turns in the 2015 than my 2011. Or should I say I will be taking turns faster and more confidently? I'm expecting the handling to be excellent with the Performance Package.

Probably won't take it to the strip as often as I go for a spirited drive down the back roads.
Sponsored

jeebuspwnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
m3
I want it to outperform e9x M3s on the track and AutoX while achieving better fuel economy in daily driving and it needs to have better steering feel than the F8x M3/4.

Mark's M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'15 L.E. Auto WW
Brilliant post Aipaloovik, couldn't have had a more similar experience with my '05 after suspension, supercharging, etc, etc. Had the pleasure of owning an '11 M3 for a couple of years but just wasn't satisfied with the "in town" performance all of the time. If our new cars can manage to blend the best of both worlds.....life will be good!!

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
Great post, funny to see so many BMW owners here (you'd think from reaction to the S550 on BMW boards that this car is some kind of joke). I expect a s550 GT to surprass the performance of any BMW I own. Just concerned about comfort of driving position, especially on long trips. BMW's telescoping wheel can be put in so many positions while Ford's have been quite limited and seem to be made for tall people. Hopefully the S550 won't have useless telescoping like the fusion does.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Great post, funny to see so many BMW owners here (you'd think from reaction to the S550 on BMW boards that this car is some kind of joke). I expect a s550 GT to surprass the performance of any BMW I own. Just concerned about comfort of driving position, especially on long trips. BMW's telescoping wheel can be put in so many positions while Ford's have been quite limited and seem to be made for tall people. Hopefully the S550 won't have useless telescoping like the fusion does.
I've been disappointed with BMW's direction since, eh, 2009ish and moving forward. Basically after they started the new design language with the F01 7-Series and developed a large emphasis on "efficient dynamics" and expanding into multiple sub-niches (not sure if that's redundant). Don't get me wrong, BMW is a fantastic brand to this day and I still believe that they're fiercely competitive with the others, I just don't think they fit my preferences anymore. I'd kill for a modern day E39 M5. That same level of no-bullshit design with a big ol' V8 lump in the nose and a sweet 6MT. That generation felt the most "German" to me.

I hate how regulations and the Asian market have shaped the brand so strongly now.

Sponsored

Macstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500
I've got high hopes for the new Mustang, some of which may be unrealistic. I want the GT w/PP to beat the Boss 302 LS in every way. If it does that, I have a feeling I may be taking one home.

I really wan the very same car to "out track" the Camaro 1LE AND the ZL1 as well as the M3/M4. I realize that may not be the GT's stoping ground but the rumored GT350 - and that's OK but then I'd like the GT350 to be released much sooner than one year from now. (Cause I can't wait that long...)

I can't wait to see lap times for the new Mustang on the Ring and the Lightning Lap...C&D's LL times feature in the current issue is a great measure of performance.

Above all, I can't wait for the first test drive of the new Mustang. Can't say I've ever been so excited for a test drive.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
I didn't really have a car to compare it to as a benchmark.

All I wanted is an American sports car. The only true sports car has been the Vette in my mind. I very specifically didn't want a Muscle car, which is why the Gen5 wasn't my style. The S550 is much more sports car to me than it is muscle car. Sure, it has beefy power, but much sportier than in the recent past.

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
I got to drive a friend's E93 M3 about a year ago; if the GTPP hits that mark, I'll be ecstatic. So I guess that's my benchmark.

Great post, funny to see so many BMW owners here (you'd think from reaction to the S550 on BMW boards that this car is some kind of joke).
Hahaha, possibly because BMW owners who own them because of how they drive and not for the social status they hope to convey aren't as common on the BMW boards :thumbsup:

I've been disappointed with BMW's direction since, eh, 2009ish and moving forward. Basically after they started the new design language with the F01 7-Series and developed a large emphasis on "efficient dynamics" and expanding into multiple sub-niches (not sure if that's redundant). Don't get me wrong, BMW is a fantastic brand to this day and I still believe that they're fiercely competitive with the others, I just don't think they fit my preferences anymore. I'd kill for a modern day E39 M5. That same level of no-bullshit design with a big ol' V8 lump in the nose and a sweet 6MT. That generation felt the most "German" to me.

I hate how regulations and the Asian market have shaped the brand so strongly now.
So true. Perfect way to put it: Asian market demands have shaped the brand to an outsized degree the last 5 years or so. Might have had something to do with that little ol' Great Recession that much of Asia was able to skip right on by. Doesn't matter though: whatever the reason, it's been bad for people shopping BMWs for real drivers' cars.

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
My benchmark is my 05 GT with blower. I just sold her and finally am ready to go to the dealer and finalize my order.
While bone stock I dont see my 15 GT being faster I am just hoping for similar acceleration, a nicer ride, better handling and modern creature comforts. The 05 GT was technology lacking. Actually the person who bought it just texted me where to plug in an Iphone. 05 did not have that option, only 07 and up.

sandbagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 kona auto
I guess my bench mark will be between our 2007 Super Charged mustang Gt ran 11.90s auto and my 2011 Gt that ran 12.60 bone stock straight from dealer ship

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Amazing how many expect the Mustang to punch above it's weight. Not that it won't, but expecting it to beat cars that are twice the price in performance or fit/finish seems...unfair? Again, not that it won't but would you be upset if it didn't surpass a high end luxury sports car?

I'm looking for an easy to maintain, cheap to repair, fun, reliable, and high-horsepower car. My 2011 was mostly all of that. I expect nothing less from my 2015.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My benchmark is my 05 GT. Suspension wise it has steeda springs, bars, shocks, camber plates, and balljoints. With the exhaust, intake, UD pulleys, and tune it put down 300 rwhp and 310 rwtq. With 3.73 gears I still get about 32-33 hwy mpg.
It all comes down to a test drive. Since the mpg on the 15 seems to have gone down from what I have it will have to really impress me with acceleration and grip. If I get hit with endless understeer I'm done.

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed
My bench mark would have to be my Legacy GT....that car for me had the whole package. The interior and creature comforts were miles above my STI. The only thing it lacked for me was some additional oomph, but to be fair i left it stock other than cosmetic and my STI was modified. I think the S550 Premium will give me the creature comforts I seek with the added performance on top.

rodslinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Mine may be laughable. It was my wife's 97, V6 coupe. I did put a Vortech blower on it but to be honest it was barely faster than my 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V at the time.

However she still has a soft spot for that car and mentions she misses it. So I'd like to give her a good Mustang she can build new memories with. And maybe this one will be fun enough that I can enjoy also.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Mine may be laughable. It was my wife's 97, V6 coupe. I did put a Vortech blower on it but to be honest it was barely faster than my 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V at the time.

However she still has a soft spot for that car and mentions she misses it. So I'd like to give her a good Mustang she can build new memories with. And maybe this one will be fun enough that I can enjoy also.
I find that awesome.
Sponsored