Sponsored

What Clutch Are People with MT82 & Boosted

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I made the switch from stock clutch to RXT after 6k miles. Well just passed 9k yesterday and boom 4th gear gone. So only 3k with the RXT and MT82 broke. Car is not tracked. It is only used for fun. I don't beat on it. I am having MT82 rebuilt by Calimer transmissions who said RXT will break the MT82 every time.

I am not pushing major power, recently made 591hp on a Mustang Dyno. Has a Roush Blower, 79mm, ID1000s, JLT CAI and Borla ATAK axle backs. Stock cats still in. Stock Driveshaft.

So I need a clutch other than RXT. What is everyone else using out there ?
Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Every time? His word is not gospel. Is it a harsh clutch? Yes. Does it break the mt82 every time? No. Plenty of people on this board have the RXT with no issue. Yet anyway.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Yeah, I don't think an RXT breaks the MT82 all the time as he said but a lot of people do run the RST instead on the stock tranny.

Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I made the switch from stock clutch to RXT after 6k miles. Well just passed 9k yesterday and boom 4th gear gone. So only 3k with the RXT and MT82 broke. Car is not tracked. It is only used for fun. I don't beat on it. I am having MT82 rebuilt by Calimer transmissions who said RXT will break the MT82 every time.

I am not pushing major power, recently made 591hp on a Mustang Dyno. Has a Roush Blower, 79mm, ID1000s, JLT CAI and Borla ATAK axle backs. Stock cats still in. Stock Driveshaft.

So I need a clutch other than RXT. What is everyone else using out there ?
Stock clutch on '17 GT w/ Vortech centri blower. No issues.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Rst or mantic twin disc will be easier on the mt82 than the rxt. Given a thicker wallet I would go with the mantic but many have good results with the rst. Contact McLeod. You may be able to convert your rxt to a rst for a price. Their service is pretty good, especially as big as they are.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
How does an aftermarket clutch break a trans? Does the stock clutch slip somewhat when we hammer the throttle lessening the impact on trans? Or does the force of the boost plus aftermarket clutch break the mt82?

GT_Tommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
TVS Supercharged Premium PP
How does an aftermarket clutch break a trans? Does the stock clutch slip somewhat when we hammer the throttle lessening the impact on trans? Or does the force of the boost plus aftermarket clutch break the mt82?
Yep. Its argued that the RXT grabs too hard and puts that force onto the trans instead of the clutch slipping. If my stock clutch goes, i'll listen to Ben Calimer and go RST or Mantic. Lots of great driveability reviews popping up about the Mantic setup. Definitely pay for it though. Other nice thing is if you ever swap to a TR6060 its very easy to convert the clutch so you don't have to buy twice.

Sultan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whippled S550
I broke two MT-82's because I had the RXT clutch. I did some research, and for sure talked to Ben and what I got is that the RXT is very aggressive on MT-82's. People with MT-82s should be going with RST because it's organic disks, and more forgiving.

Since I broke two of them, I finally went ahead and swapped it with Tremec T-56 Magnum XL, should've done it since I broke my first MT-82.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Stock clutch, so far so good. Now understand, I'm not out there on the 1/4 mile strips every weekend and hammering on it everyday. It really only gets driven on the weekends, but does get a good workout during that time.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Stock clutch, daily driven. 20,000 miles

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I went with the spec stage2+ hybrid. It is a little heavier pedal than stock, but doesn't chatter and has held everything I have thrown at it so far. Price is reasonable as well.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I had my Mt82 rebuilt by Ben C, the stage two build. Got it back and it lasted 2k miles before breaking third gear again. Swap transmissions or run a differently clutch. You don't want to join the "two broken MT82s club"

Sultan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whippled S550
I had my Mt82 rebuilt by Ben C, the stage two build. Got it back and it lasted 2k miles before breaking third gear again. Swap transmissions or run a differently clutch. You don't want to join the "two broken MT82s club"
To me is sounds normal. I broke two of them on 4th gear.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I have a Ben C Stage 1 MT82 and a Mantic clutch. Loving it so far!

I had an RST and it failed after ~2k miles. Had issues since the day it was installed. Sending it back to Mcleod to find out why.

michigan stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
65 coupe, 2015 gt pp stg 2 procharged
I have the RST and it is noisy at low speeds. To do it again I may try something else.
Sponsored