Sponsored

What about stripping the hood's understructure down to loose some weight?

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You have managed to negate every reasonable post to help your cause. :crazy:
Well, I didn't see any serious attempt to 'help my cause' apart from the advice to go buy a Miata, stop thinking like a young teen and, generally, leave the hood as it is altogether...
Sponsored

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
These guys don't know anything. You can totally remove that bracing. It comes right out with a plasma cutter.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well, I didn't see any serious attempt to 'help my cause' apart from the advice to go buy a Miata, stop thinking like a young teen and, generally, leave the hood as it is altogether...
Remove doors, windows, interior, even the driver. Make it radio controlled.
Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
These guys don't know anything. You can totally remove that bracing. It comes right out with a plasma cutter.
Then what happens when the hood folds in half eventually? Can't have just a skin on there.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, not sure about the GT but the hood on my new Ecoboost all ready flutters in the air which I don't care for, I would never take even more weight off of it but that's just me.

Terry :ninja:

Sponsored

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
If you are messing with a camaro or anything, Id say go for it. But as mustangs do have issues about hood lift, I suggest you shave off some weights elsewhere

SkapeGote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1997 f150
I did this to a 1970 Charger. The hood collapsed in at high speed. It didn't open but it made the hood concave. It wasn't my car, but I did not think that would happen. Then again, a 2015 Mustang hood probably isn't as hard to come by.

Skape

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you are messing with a camaro or anything, Id say go for it. But as mustangs do have issues about hood lift, I suggest you shave off some weights elsewhere
True, maybe it's better to leave the hood alone...

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The Ecoboost is 200 pounds lighter under the hood making it a more balanced car over the GT and the performance package makes the EB handle like a Porsche 944 Turbo. The GT is too heavy up front IMO unless you get the GT350 of course.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
The Ecoboost is 200 pounds lighter under the hood making it a more balanced car over the GT and the performance package makes the EB handle like Porsche 944 Turbo. The GT is too heavy up front IMO unless you get the GT350 of course.
I doubt its actually 200lb lighter under the hood tho... Might be an 100lb difference at most

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read it and weep VW boy. The moral of this story, if you are concerned about weight don't buy a V8.

The GT auto is about 3,729 lbs / weight distribution 47/53
The Ecoboost auto is about 3,532 lbs / weight distribution 48/52

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a8332/2015-ford-mustang-by-the-numbers/

Though it gains a few pounds compared with the outgoing model, this 2015 Mustang carries its burden more evenly. In EcoBoost guise, weight distribution is 52/48 front-to-rear; wearing 5.0 trim, it's slightly more nose-heavy at 53/47. Still, that's a vast improvement over the previous 57/43 split, and the closest any production Mustang has ever come to perfect 50/50 allocation.

From Autobloag:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/26/2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-review/

The EcoBoost automatic is roughly 200 pounds lighter than the 5.0-liter with the same transmission, with the vast majority of the weight savings found under the hood. Based on plenty of experience with the big engine in the last-generation car, there's reason enough to believe the pointy, sharp handling character we experienced will be exclusive to the turbocharged 2015.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
The Ecoboost is 200 pounds lighter under the hood making it a more balanced car over the GT and the performance package makes the EB handle like a Porsche 944 Turbo. The GT is too heavy up front IMO unless you get the GT350 of course.
They are way lighter up front once the engine blows and it's pulled out of the car to be replaced.

I'll stick with my heavy V8 that's reliable even when modded to +100% over stock HP.

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
Most EB owners can't even drive the car to limit on the street, and shouldn't try, to even try to justify the minor handling advantage LOL

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You GT boys stick to red light racing, burnouts and loud exhaust. Don't try racing any EB's on curvy roads or you will be picking tree limbs out of your grills.
Sponsored