Sponsored

What about stripping the hood's understructure down to loose some weight?

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I'm sure it serves several purposes, from sound and heat insulation to fire safety. I do know that it collapses in the event of an engine fire and melts over it (thus smothering the fire); that's always been one purpose of a hood liner in all modern vehicles. Even if it only slows down an oil or petrol-based engine fire, that could be the 15 seconds you need to escape an accident before the car is engulfed in flames and you burn alive. To me, taking the hood liner out is like not wearing your seatbelt, I just wouldn't do it because you may think you don't need it until you suddenly need it.
Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
other ways to cut the fat

Today i was looking at my GT's hood's structure and I've seen that even if the upper part is made of alu, there is an under side which seems to be made of heavy steal and that seems to be the very cause of its huge weight.

what if I stripped that steal structure down? Did any of you guys did that mod to loose a good few lbs?

I'm tempted to...

thanks.
other ways ... how about rear seat delete?... remove carpet and insulation? headliner? aluminum drive shaft?

I would leave the hood alone especially if daily driver..

Remove or replace the passenger seat.. lighter wheels?

even after this if you are serious you will need a multi point roll cage.

Think before you do !:headbang:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Orgalorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Might as well get rid of those seat belts, speakers, radio, A/C, passenger seats, all the carpeting, headliner, glove box, center console, etc. I mean that stuff is all useless weight right? Doesn't serve any structural purpose...

Seriously man?! :headbonk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
other ways ... how about rear seat delete?... remove carpet and insulation? headliner? aluminum drive shaft?

I would leave the hood alone especially if daily driver..

Remove or replace the passenger seat.. lighter wheels?

even after this if you are serious you will need a multi point roll cage.

Think before you do !:headbang:
Well, I've already deleted the rear seats, I've dumped front ones and have fixed two racing Sparcos intead...I have a lighter then stock aftermarket catback.

Next are going to be lighter wheels and brakes... and that's going to be enough, for the moment.

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Might as well get rid of those seat belts, speakers, radio, A/C, passenger seats, all the carpeting, headliner, glove box, center console, etc. I mean that stuff is all useless weight right? Doesn't serve any structural purpose...

Seriously man?! :headbonk:
Take it easy, Orgalorg...:D

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Delete your backseat and A/C.

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Delete your backseat and A/C.
Backseat already gone, for the A/C I do not have a clear view of what would be the weight savings, any of you guys have any figures?

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Backseat already gone, for the A/C I do not have a clear view of what would be the weight savings, any of you guys have any figures?
The compressor is heavy and it consumes hp. Although I think as a DD you shouldn't do so

Sponsored

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
:) Buy a new Mazda Miata to save weight. Only 2400 lbs. But, has a cramped cockpit and a rough/vibrating idle.

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
:) Buy a new Mazda Miata to save weight. Only 2400 lbs. But, has a cramped cockpit and a rough/vibrating idle.
Frankly, I don't need a Miata... I have a TVR Griffith 500 that weights only 1940 lbs and instead of a shitty japanese half engine it has a full 5 ltr V8 bad guy under the hood.:)

Orgalorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So what the hell are you mangling up a Mustang for?
Is this a/going to be race car? If not, you're using the logic of an 18 year old. :lol: