OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Thank you! I appreciate your response. Unfortunately I don't own mine quite yet but when I get it at the end of the year I will be buying this :D
Glad we could be of assistance!

-Sara
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
We're Working on a Cooler Coyote: Mishimoto's Mustang GT Oil Cooler R&D Part 3

In our last post, we took a look at the fabrication of our oil cooler bracket and the prototype heat exchanger. We’ve settled on the final bracket design, and now we are moving on to the heat exchanger.

Heat Exchanger Fabrication

The lead engineer on this project, Dan, plans to test several designs, including an all new heat exchanger design for this project. Exciting stuff! Before we test, we first need to fabricate our test subjects with the help of our expert welder, Mike. We will be creating a small cross-flow oil cooler, a large cross-flow oil cooler, a small dual-pass oil cooler, and a large dual-pass oil cooler.

We began with the cores of our new oil cooler designs. First up was welding the mounting points to the top edges of our cores. We have a pretty cool mounting design for our oil cooler, and we were pretty excited to see it come together.

Test-fitting the Mustang oil cooler

Test-fitting Mustang parts

After fitment was confirmed on our GT, Mike began welding the end tanks onto our oil coolers. We have two types of end tanks which will join with the cores to become the two different style coolers; dual-pass and cross-flow. Dan will be testing both styles to determine which is the better option to cool our Coyote.

Fabricating Mustang parts

Mustang oil cooler prototypes

Mustang oil cooler prototypes

Mustang Parts Prototypes

After our functional prototypes were completed, it was time to test them for leaks and fit them on the GT. Our leak test method uses a very scientific soap-and-water concoction combined with several spotters looking for bubbles.

Leak testing Mustang oil cooler prototypes

Once we were sure that our prototypes were impenetrable fortresses of cooling, we introduced them to the GT.

Large Mustang oil cooler prototype installed

Both the small and large prototypes fit to our standards and meet our objectives, which included leaving as much room as possible for installing aftermarket heat exchangers behind our oil cooler. To free up as much room as possible, we have aligned the back of our oil cooler with the wiring harness that runs along the crash beam. Take a look at the space we saved the in the next photo, shot from beneath the GT. The arrow indicates the backside of our oil cooler and how it ends evenly with the wiring harness to maximize the space between our cooler and the A/C condenser.

Oil cooler clearance with Mustang parts

Coming Up!

Time for testing! We will be posting the results of our testing as well as the final oil cooler design, so stay tuned. In the meantime, sound off in the comments below and let us know what you think.

Thanks for reading!
-Sara

Ruby15GT

Ruby15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
Will the cooler be compatible with your new aluminum radiator given the increased thickness?

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
YES!

It looks to be a great mod. Thank you!!!
*edit* if you need a first gen product tester let me know, available! :D

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Will the cooler be compatible with your new aluminum radiator given the increased thickness?
Great question, even though our radiator is quite a bit thicker than the PP radiator, it still occupies the same general space. In the last photo that I posted above, you can see that there is quite a bit of space between where the oil cooler ends and where the AC condenser is located. The AC condenser will stay in the same location with our radiator so you can use the photo above for general reference as to where our components will be located.

To answer your question more clearly, yes our radiator will fit with all stock and Mishimoto components.

It looks to be a great mod. Thank you!!!
*edit* if you need a first gen product tester let me know, available! :D
Thanks for the kind words, if we need additional testing we will keep you in mind!

-Sara

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Mishimoto's GT Oil Cooler Pre-Sale is Live!

Mishimoto's Mustang GT Oil Cooler Pre-Sale is live! We are kicking off the pre-sale for our Mustang GT Oil Cooler so everyone has enough time to place their orders. More info and photos are on the way, but until then check out the pre-sale and let us know if you have any questions!

Pre-Sale Link
ford-mustang-gt-oil-cooler-kit-2015-8.jpg

Sale Price: $609.95

MSRP: $780.00

Estimated Ship Date / Pre-Sale Expiration: September

Includes:
(1) Application Specific Mounting Bracket / Air Diversion Shield
(1) Bar and Plate Oil Cooler (Silver or Black)
(1) 2ft 5in Stainless Steel Braided Hose w/ -10AN Fittings
(1) 4ft 11in Stainless Steel Braided Hose w/ -10AN Fittings
(1) M22 Thermostatic Sandwich Plate
(1) Application - Specific, M22 x 1.5 extended length center bolt
(2) M20 x -10AN Straight Fittings
(2) 1/8"" NPT Plugs
(1) Large O-ring
(1) Lower Radiator Hose w/ worm gear clamps
(1) Mounting Hardware Set
Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

Pre-Sale Link

If you have any questions let us know in the comments below!

-Sara

Last edited:

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Ordering.

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
You should send one of these to that one vendor you guys work with in Utah... I think you know the one I mean, they have an employee who would love to test fit this for you ;)

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
I would assume that the oil cooler as well as your radiator are compatible with the Roush Phase 1 Supercharger kit? (In fact they both would be very helpful for S/C'd roadcourse duty, no?)

When can we expect test results? Thanks in advance for your contribution to the platform.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Any way to use this in combination with the stock oil cooler?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Ordering.
Thanks for your order!

You should send one of these to that one vendor you guys work with in Utah... I think you know the one I mean, they have an employee who would love to test fit this for you ;)
We will certainly keep that employee in mind if we need additional testing data!

Thumbs up!
Thanks for the kind words!

I would assume that the oil cooler as well as your radiator are compatible with the Roush Phase 1 Supercharger kit? (In fact they both would be very helpful for S/C'd roadcourse duty, no?)

When can we expect test results? Thanks in advance for your contribution to the platform.
We have not been able to test fit this or our radiator with any aftermarket supercharger setups yet. However, both of these products were designed with supercharger setups in mind. Our oil cooler sits flush with the wiring harness on the back of the crash beam to allow for the most room behind it. The radiator sits in its factory location and moves the fan shroud back about a half an inch to account for the larger core.

If you want to PM me with some photos of your engine bay, I would be happy to share them with the rest of the team to determine any fitment issues you may have.

Any way to use this in combination with the stock oil cooler?
The stock oil cooler should be removed to use our oil cooler setup. However, with a thermostatic sandwich plate and our large heat exchanger, our setup was designed to be sufficient without the stock cooler.

-Sara

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Any pics with the bumper installed?

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base performance pack
are you still on par with shipping mid july or is that not likely?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
The stock oil cooler should be removed to use our oil cooler setup. However, with a thermostatic sandwich plate and our large heat exchanger, our setup was designed to be sufficient without the stock cooler.

-Sara
So that's a no lol. Kinda disappointing. I would think the more cooling the better. Any particular reason you decided to design it that way aside from it being "sufficient"?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.