Sponsored

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've used Lund for E85 N/A and 93 Whipple and WOT is absolutely phenomenal.

Idle and drivability is hit or miss though.

My biggest complaint is the threshold to downshift in stop and go driving. Plenty of times I end up in scenarios where I'm going like 20mph in 4th or 5th gear and it won't downshift at what I'd consider a reasonable pedal %. If I give it enough pedal to downshift, it's too aggressive because now I'm in a lower gear at a higher pedal % lol.

Anyone know what I'm talking about with Lund, and can they confirm Wengerd tunes don't have this issue?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Example a vacuum leak would cause the car to assume its on e85 and run e85 timing while on 91/93.
On my Gen 2 I had a PCV hose split while running a flex tune. In the process of tracking down what was wrong I added 93 to make a calculated 30% E. The car learned and locked in with 31%.

After finding and fixing the leak I re-filled with E85 to what was a calculated E65. At the pump I pulled the PCV hose and drove off. The car learned 65%.

I'd like to see if more cars will do this as a one car sample does not make it true for all.

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
@Wengerd Performance I'm interested in what you might be able to do on my '19 F150 with the 5.0/A10, but I don't see anything but Mustang on your site. PM me if you like.

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged

My biggest complaint is the threshold to downshift in stop and go driving. Plenty of times I end up in scenarios where I'm going like 20mph in 4th or 5th gear and it won't downshift at what I'd consider a reasonable pedal %. If I give it enough pedal to downshift, it's too aggressive because now I'm in a lower gear at a higher pedal % lol.

Anyone know what I'm talking about with Lund, and can they confirm Wengerd tunes don't have this issue?
Mine does the same on occasion but I'm not tuned by Lund. I've had a few revisions done to help this but didn't like the normal driving shifts even though it fixed the downshift issue.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
@Wengerd Performance Does your tuning address the A10 at all? My primary motivation for a tune is to address the performance of the A10.
Yes! Night and day different. Especially in drive. Mine would not downshift hardly at all unless I gave over 75% throttle, even on the highway. Now the driveability is MUCH better in Drive. Previously I had to drive in Sport all the time to be driveable at all. It is a touch more agressive in Sport now but not an issue, when I want sport, I want sport.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
The 3 biggest selling points of the Motec (at the time) were A) Traction/torque control and slip B) True Flex fuel with a positive displacement blower and C) Boost/torque control by gear (which ties a little into A, just a more proactive means of keeping the wheel spin managed).

There are other lesser/incremental benefits, the 3 stage launch feature, engine protections, etc.

If some of the recent developments had been available at the time, I'd have seriously considered a different route (and possibly even chosen PCMtech).

PCMtech gives the ability for external inputs (aka ethanol sensor) for "user selected" flex fuel (not as sophisticated as fill up, turn it on and mash the gas, but not exactly a huge hassle to read the measurement and then select the appropriate map/mode and go on your way).

Then, recently it's been shown that it's possible to do torque/air load by gear with a PD blower, so 2 out of the 3 major MOTEC advantages are possible, but not common among big name tuning shops (PCMtech is becoming more familiar to everyone).

You've differentiated yourself through service and quality, but there's another opportunity and that's a deeper dive into torque management by gear, which is ESPECIALLY beneficial to positive displacement blower guys (who's only real option to that was the MOTEC or "smooth boost" which basically voids any warranties).

Imagine a tune that's truly customized and setup for my car's torque and gearing setup so that it doesn't haze the tires and overrun every gear or that I don't have to calibrate my right foot to within a micrometer in order to keep it from losing traction.

There are dozens of tuners out there that can setup the car to make good power/torque and send you out the door. On a 800 rwhp setup, that mostly works. But for 4 digit power and 800+ rwtq, the ability to modulate torque by gear is huge. Before that was really only an option for Motec or turbo guys through a sophisticated (and admittedly expensive) boost controller setup.

Now, it's been demonstrated that the Ford PCM is capable of limiting air load by gear and thus at least proactively dialing in the ouput of the car to just at or over what the traction can handle. HUGE BENEFIT. But no common tuners offer it.

Again, for the 700-850 rwhp crowd, maybe that's not as big of an issue. But to the big boy power PD guys, especially if they're running a 150 mm throttle body, being able to control the torque through something other than a touchy pedal is a huge improvement.

Guys like @engineermike are also trailblazing the world of fuel management and proving that the old "Just put a fore triple in it" days are unnecessary.

There's a LOT more capability in the Ford PCM than what most of the tuning market is offering. From output modulation, now to what PCMtech is bringing to the table to big power on returnless fuel, I personally think there's an opportunity for better, more custom tuning offerings that closes the gap between the factory PCM and crazy expensive aftermarket systems like MOTEC or Holly Dominator or Fueltech.

The MOTEC is awesome. But it's also absurdly cost prohibitive. The Ford PCM is CAPABLE of achieving much of what it can do (for practical street purposes) but it's unfortunate the most of the market is a max output, slap it on and make good power and away you go tuning.
So do you know anyone whos running a PCMtech?

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue

No experience with tuning Mustangs, but what you've described has been my experience with tuned cars in general.

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No experience with tuning Mustangs, but what you've described has been my experience with tuned cars in general.
Yeah -- well the idle has been good for the last week anyway. I had recently done a kam reset and trans relearn so could explain why my idle sucked for a bit.

I'm daydreaming about smooth power delivery with this A10 and I'd absolutely consider Wengerd if I knew for sure the part throttle improvements would be worth it. At times the car feels sluggish because it's in the wrong gear or whatever else might be the reason.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
Yeah -- well the idle has been good for the last week anyway. I had recently done a kam reset and trans relearn so could explain why my idle sucked for a bit.

I'm daydreaming about smooth power delivery with this A10 and I'd absolutely consider Wengerd if I knew for sure the part throttle improvements would be worth it. At times the car feels sluggish because it's in the wrong gear or whatever else might be the reason.
Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Wengerd has been sending a free tune to some people, not sure if it’s something that would help you.
Sponsored