Sponsored

Well I did it... i effed up my shift knob swap and now need a new shifter.

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
The last thing I want to do is to take it to them with the shift knob all jacked up on a car that has legally been in my possession all of SEVEN DAYS tomorrow. So I'll make sure I get the MGW, get it installed, and then take it to them and have the other stuff taken care of.
Yes, this is the correct solution. Replace with MGW immediately and brag it up about how crappy that stock shifter was and it had to go! It wouldn't have lasted to 8 days anyway! All the dealer tech's will surely be impressed. :hail:
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
wont have this problem on the MGW since they use jam nuts to secure the knob

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
lol if you take a torch to it please video it

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
See what happens when you send a woman to do a mans job!:doh::D
:first::gossip:
Yeah, the woman has enough self esteem to admit it.
:cheers:
Quite the "knob job". :doh: (j/k)
really?
get a pipe wrench and if you don't have the strength have someone help you. the pipe wrench will tear up the knob but that seems moot at this point. a pipe wrench and the power will remove it and the sifter should be able to withstand it. Id hate to think about the flakes from a dremel or saws all all over they once car.
good idea with reason:cheers:
just ordered the MGW......

and another new shift knob, but seeing about going directly through Epco instead of CJPP or Speed Dawg to see if I can get it in the same Candy Red but with white lettering and stripes. I didn't like the contrast of the black even if my car is Red with black stripes. if not it'll just be identical to this one.

My spouse is mad at me, and I do not under any circumstances suggest this as an idea for anyone that wants to get a shifter upgrade on a week old car.
Then aybe the spouse should've did/helped
well here's the deal and why i want to resolve this right away.

The dealership still owes me my FRPP suspension and FRPP exhaust - installed.

The last thing I want to do is to take it to them with the shift knob all jacked up on a car that has legally been in my possession all of SEVEN DAYS tomorrow. So I'll make sure I get the MGW, get it installed, and then take it to them and have the other stuff taken care of.
This girl takes care of herself and honest, someone is lucky

Sponsored

Nac79

NAC15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Ford Mustang GT with PP
Got my fancy EPCO/SpeedDawg shift knob in the mail today. Was going to just put it on the stock shifter, and then down the road get a MGW.

Well in my idiocy of not paying attention, and not really thinking about it when installing, I grabbed the red loctite instead of the blue, and boy that sets fast.

It literally completed bonding and would not budge before I could set the shift knob in place 100%. I was about half a turn from perfection when it set.

Not to mention that I won't be getting it off without cutting it off, and if I cut it off I kill my stock shifter, soooooo I guess I'll be upgrading right away with all of 120 miles on the car.

I marred the heck out of it trying to get it to even move so it's a bit gouged now.

LESSON LEARNED, ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH LOCTITE BOTTLE YOU GRAB, BECAUSE THEY LOOK ALIKE - since both bottles are blue in color.

So I'm out $60 for the shift knob I destroyed, and I'm gonna change the shifter right away instead of later. Could be worse.

I feel so dumb. not my first car that's stick. not my first car that I've changed shifters or shift knobs on either. just didn't pay attention to which loctite I grabbed.
I knew I should had responded earlier, maybe would've save you some money. I read your post earlier, but ran out of time on my lunch break to respond.

First, don't feel bad. I did some thing similar to my mustang shift knob. My wife purchased a aftermarket shift knob me for Christmas. After visiting all the family for Christmas weekend, I was in a rush to install the aftermarket shift knob. I screwed on the shift knob to see what it looks and unscrewed it. I put the red locktite on the shifter and screwed the shift knob waiting for it to tighten, before making my half turn back to line it up. Well, I over tighten it and the top popped off of the shift knob. I tried to take it right off as I had messed up to put the stock one back on, and it didn't bulge. I tried muscle and clamps to unscrew it. Nothing work. I ended making the shift nob unrecognizable trying to take it off. Nothing worked.

Well, I purchase another shift knob with upgraded shift boot due to the fact that I turned so hard that I damaged the boot. I also replaced the reverse lock out with CJ Pony parts due to issues other people were having with it not going to reverse due to cheap lockout mechanism Ford put on. Plus, I thought I may damage the reverse lock out or will trying to get it off. I also purchased the GT350 steering wheel to make me feel better about the situation.

When everything came in, I purchased a heat gun and powered mini blade. I covered the entire interior of the car with a sheet that blocks heat. I then sawed the plastic shift knob to get to the shifter & shift ball attachment. Once done, it left the shifter and metal attachment that was inside of shift ball. Use the heat gun to heat the metal attachment, until the red locktite goes away. Make sure you give it time to cool off or use a wrench to untighten the metal attachment. It will come right off the shifter. You're done!

I had to replace my shift boot as well, so I had to take off the aluminum trim around the shift and sailer the old one off and sailer the new and improved shift boot on.

After that, I put the GT350 steering wheel on.

After the headache, the mustang is all better now! A lot better now! Hope that helps!

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
So totally separate question... Sorry OP, but I noticed your car has "Shaker" painted in white. Do you have the 401A package with the upgraded stereo? I do, and mine isn't white font.
White is the 400a no sub. But it's still a shaker

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have one of the oldest 15 GTPP's with 401A and mine is black! I am guessing it is a late 15 model and 16 up thing!

You may be right as mine is a late 15 with the sub and it is white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
WOW some of you guys need to chill about all this massive damage that will be caused to the car. If you put a decent sized pipe wrench on that knob its coming off and NO the shifter will not be damaged before that red lock tite breaks loose. Christ its locktite not welded! Also don't be cutting into it inside the car you will never get rid of the shavings. 16 inch pipe wrench> any locktite. OP if you don't want to spend $$$ on a new shifter assembly feel free to PM me.

Sponsored

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
isnt the actual shift lever symmetric? Meaning the metal piece that goes down into the transmission. would it be possible to remove it from the assembly and flip it around? or at least work on it outside the car?

the part that this guy's holding at 10:01
[ame]

OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
update - got a pipe wrench. i got maybe half a turn out of it before the entire assembly itself started to turn.

so i'll just leave it to the professionals. BUT that means the reverse lockout, and my boot will basically have to be cut off for me to get it off.

I tried searching on levittown, but gave up. I'm going to need a new boot and the chrome retainer around it (that also broke - seperated from the bottom half. for a redline interior. if someone can find a part number that would rock. I have a '16 so it now just says "sync" instead of '15 "sync by microsoft"

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
update - got a pipe wrench. i got maybe half a turn out of it before the entire assembly itself started to turn.
:shocked:

so i'll just leave it to the professionals. BUT that means the reverse lockout, and my boot will basically have to be cut off for me to get it off.
take it to the dealership for warranty repair ! :lol:

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Maybe someone installed the knob with Locktite. The knob should not be that difficult to remove under normal circumstances.
Sponsored