Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I used to have more museum pieces than drivers. I had a CTS-V for 3 years that I only put 4000 miles on. My C7 had 2300 miles. My C6 had 5000 miles over 7 years. My brother always kids me saying "Wow, the next owner is going to love this car" as I switch cars often. I've now decided to drive the sh*t out of my GT350. Life is too short to make payments on a car I hardly use. Especially when it's in storage from Dec-Apr.
LOL what your brother said. I agree with you and glad you enjoy your car(s).

If I hadn't made it clear, I never intended on pampering the car for when I eventually sell it. I do like to take care of my cars, but I drove the GT350 daily. I even was daily driving it to work even though I have a beater car that makes more sense to use for my boring 15 minute commute (could be worse, I know, I've had 60 mile commutes in the past). I even planned on driving my car from TX to FL for my wedding later this month (I think I mentioned this already), putting 3,000 miles on it when I didn't really need to.

I'll be happy to get it back, and hope that I can enjoy it before it gets sketchy to drive in our "mild" winters here. Perhaps in a few months after this is all resolved I will be happily enjoying the car again, and not worried about any more issues.
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Good luck Kyle!
I hope your issue gets resolved quickly and you get to enjoy it! Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I updated the title of the thread. Nothing else to report. The dealer that's servicing my car has been all out of loaner cars but they have provided me with a rental through Enterprise so far.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I talked with the Ford Performance hotline this morning. They aren't aware of any common issue with the oil pump of the voodoo engine. I was told my [likely] failure is very unlikely to happen again on a new engine. They don't recommend switching a billet OPG or trying an aftermarket crank dampener. Not that I'd do this things and risk my warranty, but I asked anyway.

I was told that they use a billet OPG in some/all of their crate engines, and it's not because the engines need it. They do it as a safety measure because they know most people buying those engines will modify them with forced induction, crank dampeners, etc.

Also, apparently the 5.0 coyote runs similar high oil pressures. The person I spoke with said that they can see the oil pumps being similar or the same between the coyote and the voodoo. I found this out while asking if the voodoo's oil pump is bespoke/special to deal with the high pressures, high rpm, and vibration.

----

I hope to get my car back, repaired, without any damage or signs of carelessness from the servicing dealer, and enjoy many miles driving it without this issue ever coming back.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I talked with the Ford Performance hotline this morning. They aren't aware of any common issue with the oil pump of the voodoo engine. I was told my [likely] failure is very unlikely to happen again on a new engine. They don't recommend switching a billet OPG or trying an aftermarket crank dampener. Not that I'd do this things and risk my warranty, but I asked anyway.

I was told that they use a billet OPG in some/all of their crate engines, and it's not because the engines need it. They do it as a safety measure because they know most people buying those engines will modify them with forced induction, crank dampeners, etc.

Also, apparently the 5.0 coyote runs similar high oil pressures. The person I spoke with said that they can see the oil pumps being similar or the same between the coyote and the voodoo. I found this out while asking if the voodoo's oil pump is bespoke/special to deal with the high pressures, high rpm, and vibration.

----

I hope to get my car back, repaired, without any damage or signs of carelessness from the servicing dealer, and enjoy many miles driving it without this issue ever coming back.
ME TOO! LOL
When I called FP the said my failure is the first for the Voodoo, HA! I was 1st!!!

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
ME TOO! LOL
When I called FP the said my failure is the first for the Voodoo, HA! I was 1st!!!
Damage control marketing, they're trained real good at that.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Agreed, they told me I was the first with the axle CV boot failure too.
To this and the above "1st" reported to FP, I would think there'd be more efficient communcation within Ford divisions...Thanks to all for posting here, I feel I have a good understanding of potential issues with my GT350 :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The CV joint I think someone linked to shipping methods.
That's interesting, I hadn't seen/heard that. I did see one member on here post that his dealer found the brand new replacement part arrived with it's outer boot already damaged/leaking.

In hind sight, I'd rather have been dealing with that issue as a recurring issue then going through this engine replacement!

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
That's one way to look at it.

I prefer thinking about the depreciation and how I'm no longer going to fully trust accelerating/revving out this car with the new engine, and that makes me :(.
Fascinating story.

I had a 94 Honda Civic Si engine seize with 1500 miles on it and it spooked me because it happened near redline. The dealer did the same thing, swapped the engine and sent the broken one back to a factory for inspection. It took me almost a year to get an answer to what happened which was a defective fuel injector washed out a cylinder which lead the seizure. But I was always nervous about winding it out after that. Still got 130k miles out of it before I traded it for my jeep. Trade in value seemed unaffected, the dealer didn't even check the Honda's service history.

This OPG failure might have been an issue with a certain production run of gears used in the assembly of the pumps. If that's the case the bad pumps could be sprinkled through a number of engine in no particular order. I think it's highly unlikely you would get another bad pump gear on a new engine.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Fascinating story.

I had a 94 Honda Civic Si engine seize with 1500 miles on it and it spooked me because it happened near redline. The dealer did the same thing, swapped the engine and sent the broken one back to a factory for inspection. It took me almost a year to get an answer to what happened which was a defective fuel injector washed out a cylinder which lead the seizure. But I was always nervous about winding it out after that. Still got 130k miles out of it before I traded it for my jeep. Trade in value seemed unaffected, the dealer didn't even check the Honda's service history.

This OPG failure might have been an issue with a certain production run of gears used in the assembly of the pumps. If that's the case the bad pumps could be sprinkled through a number of engine in no particular order. I think it's highly unlikely you would get another bad pump gear on a new engine.
I appreciate the info, thanks for sharing! I am going to try to find out from Ford what they find when then dissect my engine.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe you can ask to get extended engine warranty for your troubles? e.g. 8-10 years. Even if you don't keep the car that long, at least its something. edit: I would at least try for an extended engine warranty that covers an oil pump / low oil pressure failure.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Maybe you can ask to get extended engine warranty for your troubles? e.g. 8-10 years. Even if you don't keep the car that long, at least its something. edit: I would at least try for an extended engine warranty that covers an oil pump / low oil pressure failure.
Yea that's a good idea, I'm going to try and see. I already purchased the Ford ESP for I believe 6 years, can't remember the mileage. I need to check and see.
Sponsored