Sponsored

VW... seriously, are you surprised?

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
The difference between German thoroughness vs others?
VW engineered their MPG cheat, Ford + Hyundai simply printed false window stickers
Sponsored

high_glove_side

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 AGM 1LE
Sadly, this whole issue is not only getting blown out of proportion, but getting outright stupid with reports of more manufacturers failing more rigorous, realistic driving tests.

Well.. no shit? Make a test more stringent, and you're going to have more failures. The media would be thrilled to catch more auto makers cheating, but if they can't, I guess implying it is good enough. Dieselgate needs to stretch for a few more weeks. :)

The only thing I thought through all of this was "this would be a good time to buy VW stock".

*shrug*

We own an '11 GTI, and while there are some things I don't like about the car, I can't argue about it's all-around ability. Reasonably good handling, a snappy enough motor, and tons of utility and room. Effective but a bit soul-less, you could say. The DSG is probably the worst aspect of it.

As far as reliability goes, 40k miles so far, and zero issues aside from a dead battery (user error) and a faulty water pump, fully covered under warranty.

Tristar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
A Moron started this thread !

I of course have a 2015 GT and I love it, My son has a 2015 GTI and he loves it.

The fit and finish on his VW is about 1000% better than my Ford.
His seats are built maybe twice as good and his dash does not make any odd creaks and croaks like my Stang does.

I think VW builds a good car and I am willing to bet a bunch more Diesel Mfg get caught up in this mess. VW should not have done what they did, but there cars are well built, good quality and well designed vehicles.

Chris

OP
OP

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I've hear that over the past 35 years "VW builds a good car"... but go back for the past 30 years... 1980-2010. VM is by far the worst manufacturer there is on initial quality and reliability. Its actually really bad, even Kia was beating it and how did you feel about a Kia say 10 years ago?

Its kind of a Stockholm syndrome that is well know to exist in more extreme cases of car fanaticism... the thing can be falling apart but they still love it.

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
From someone who has no care for cars other than the Stang, I have owned several VW, mostly GTI's and have had no major problems with them. :hail:
With that being said, what has happen recently is a major consern to the public and the air we breathe. :mad:

IMO, VW wanted to sell cars that had great fuel mileage with horsepower to attract customers and that's what they did and it worked. They even have the nerve to raise the speedometer to make you think your going 65 but you are actually only doing 3 to sometimes 5 miles less then the speedometer shows you.

Fines will be paid, updates and recalls will be served but at the end of the day, people will forget about this and VW will hold on to most of there new customers they realed in.

:cheers:

Sponsored

smidra

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB PP / 2011 Focus EB Titanium
Starman's monthly soap box:

VW and its problems, is this really a surprise?

Consumer Reports:

These have multiple years of much-worse-than-average reliability among 1999 to 2008 models. Listed alphabetically. (just an example from their page today)

Volkswagen Cabrio
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen New Beetle
Volkswagen Passat
Volkswagen Touareg

I've been saying this since the early 90's. I really watched cars pretty hard from 1990-2010. That is a 20 years. In those 20 years VW across the board was ranked by any source that ranked car reliability as the worst manufacturer. Each car in its individual class was ranked by far at the bottom (with the exception of the Passat which was average). These things were known to fall apart within the first year of owning them. Every person I knew who bought one had major issues such as the entire stereo system blowing up in the first year.

Yet VW's *amazing* marketing prevailed and they sold like hot cakes (very much like pre-Ipad/iphone Apple in those days, terrible products, sold on "fan'ism and marketing).

Am I surprised today that their diesels omit 40 TIMES EPA pollution levels... no. What were the owners thinking? These were magic high hp diesel engines that didn't pollute? Have they not seen diesel semi trucks starting up?
It's really this bad, whats going to happen is that the EPA may just tell owners that they can't register their cars. VW is going to have to come up with some *major* engine change to stop the emissions, those cars are going to lose half their horsepower.

...But as I have said for 20 years... That's what happens when you buy a VW.

For someone who's been watching cars pretty hard for the last 20 years you should know that this is a problem of EVERY SINGLE low emission diesel manufacturer in the world. Emission and consumption testing is full of cheats and measurement adjustments. What WV did is just another way of bringing the emission down when measured. Just another cheat.

Quite honestly, I do not care about this at all. The cars are as good as any other brand and they cheat to pass the test as anybody does. At least here in Europe. The only thing that VW did wrong that they were stupid enough to use the same cheat in the USA and their damage control. They should not have apologized.

OP
OP

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Quite honestly, I do not care about this at all. The cars are as good as any other brand and they cheat to pass the test as anybody does. At least here in Europe. The only thing that VW did wrong that they were stupid enough to use the same cheat in the USA and their damage control. They should not have apologized.
You do nothing more then prove my point. The engine could drop out the bottom of your VW and you'd rationalize it in some way.

I remember a secretary at a place I used to work at bought a new Jetta in around 2004. the entire electrical system fried (among other things like some massive suspension clunk in the rear) in the first year and she still absolutely loved her Jetta.

smidra

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB PP / 2011 Focus EB Titanium
You do nothing more then prove my point. The engine could drop out the bottom of your VW and you'd rationalize it in some way.

I remember a secretary at a place I used to work at bought a new Jetta in around 2004. the entire electrical system fried (among other things like some massive suspension clunk in the rear) in the first year and she still absolutely loved her Jetta.
I do not have a VW. Never had one.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Sadly, this whole issue is not only getting blown out of proportion, but getting outright stupid with reports of more manufacturers failing more rigorous, realistic driving tests.

Well.. no shit? Make a test more stringent, and you're going to have more failures. The media would be thrilled to catch more auto makers cheating, but if they can't, I guess implying it is good enough. Dieselgate needs to stretch for a few more weeks. :)

The only thing I thought through all of this was "this would be a good time to buy VW stock".

*shrug*

We own an '11 GTI, and while there are some things I don't like about the car, I can't argue about it's all-around ability. Reasonably good handling, a snappy enough motor, and tons of utility and room. Effective but a bit soul-less, you could say. The DSG is probably the worst aspect of it.

As far as reliability goes, 40k miles so far, and zero issues aside from a dead battery (user error) and a faulty water pump, fully covered under warranty.
What don't you like about the DSG?

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470

I don't think he's rationalizing anything. The fact is, if it's not spewing black smoke and it doesn't stink, most people don't care as long as they like the way it drives and they get good fuel economy. Most people have no knowledge of NOx emissions or why it's regulated(and if they did, they still wouldn't care).

But they will care when it comes back with a shitty torque curve:

Sponsored

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had a Volkswagen once. It pissed me off so bad I bought a toyota. Ten years later and zero problems, and I still have the Toyota and it still runs like new.
I don't think I could make a less reliable car if I tried.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
Personally If I owned a TDI I'd be trying anyway I could to avoid having it "fixed" I've not owned a modern vw. My daughter owns a '08 gti. Fun car for sure but I would NEVER own a vw out of warranty...not...even...kidding.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
The simple fact is, they couldn't make the motor pass emissions. They won't be able to with tuning alone and keep power the same. Couldn't happen then, won't happen now. Will be a lot of pissed off owners.

VW (and brands) quality has been in the shitter for years but advertising suckered people into buying them.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
The simple fact is, they couldn't make the motor pass emissions. They won't be able to with tuning alone and keep power the same. Couldn't happen then, won't happen now. Will be a lot of pissed off owners.

VW (and brands) quality has been in the shitter for years but advertising suckered people into buying them.
That's the thing, I've seen plenty of places reporting 'blah blah begin recall by January' or something but I don't see how this isn't just as big of a cluster as Takata. You can't tune this out of the car, it needs the Urea injection system to be installed on an exhaust system not designed for it. Where are they going to fit the 5-8 gallon tanks to store the fluid either? Crazy.

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
VW owners would retaliate by saying FORD = Found On The Road Dead. It's hard to find a perfect everyday car. They all have issues here and there.
Sponsored