Sponsored

Upgrade to Torsen Differential?

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Most of you didn't read his post completely or only read what you want to read. He said he's fine with 3.55 gears. He's just asking if the Torsen is an upgrade. The answer is yes, the Torsen is an upgrade. It is a better LSD that gives better bias and never needs service or parts replaced, no clutches or springs to wear out. The best way to do it is to swap in a complete 18-23 auto PP1 3.55 Torsen diff assembly. Just pop your axles out remove your assembly, install the Torsen assembly, pop the axles back in.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Just pop your axles out remove your assembly, install the Torsen assembly, pop the axles back in.
That's a little more of a job than you're making it out to be.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The Torsen is a better diff than the Traction-Loc, no question. You can put the carbon fiber plates from FP in the Trac-Loc to improve it. The easy button is finding a rear housing that already has the gear and diff you want and install it that way. If I actually had to go buy a new diff, I'd get a Giken.

OP
OP
Edgemere

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Most of you didn't read his post completely or only read what you want to read. He said he's fine with 3.55 gears. He's just asking if the Torsen is an upgrade. The answer is yes, the Torsen is an upgrade. It is a better LSD that gives better bias and never needs service or parts replaced, no clutches or springs to wear out. The best way to do it is to swap in a complete 18-23 auto PP1 3.55 Torsen diff assembly. Just pop your axles out remove your assembly, install the Torsen assembly, pop the axles back in.
Thanks for your answer. You mentioned Auto in your answer. I have a manual transmission. I am assuming that it would be the same for swapping out the differential?

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your answer. You mentioned Auto in your answer. I have a manual transmission. I am assuming that it would be the same for swapping out the differential?
For 18+ the auto and manual use the same pinion flange. The 18+ auto PP1 had a 3.55 Torsen and the manual had a 3.73 Torsen.

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's way less of a job than swapping R&P and setting up new bearings.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
No, not really. Once you drop the driveshaft and pop out the axles, it's only 4 bolts and the whole center section comes out. It's not rocket science.
The hardest part is getting the rear suspension out of the way so you can pop the axles.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You can buy a used 3.55 loaded Torsen diff pumpkin out of a 2018+ PP Auto car. This is what I did. Swap the diff and you're good to go.
Sponsored