Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Greetings,

I have a 2022 Mustang GT Premium, manual transmission, 3.55 gears, non Performance Pack. I bought the car used last Fall with only 500 miles on it. It was a great deal, but I wish it would have come with the Performance Pack. Because it didn't, I will be totally upgrading my suspension this Spring, with shock, struts, springs, sway bars, front control arms, vertical links, rear toe links, and a bunch of BMR IRS rear wheel hop stuff.

I will not be going to the track or drag strip. I am a weekend driver in the Summer months only. My main goal is to get a decent suspension. One that should have come with my Mustang. My question is, does it make sense upgrading my Mustang with the Torsen Differential too? If I do this what else is needed? Would I need a new Ring and Pinion gear kit? I am just fine with the stock 3.55 gears.

Trying to duplicate the Performance Pack ala cart, which I did not get, would be way to expensive to do. That being said, what are your thoughts on taking it one step further with the Torsen Differential? Please advise.

Thanks..........
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The torsen is smoother in the turns. To change it the entire center section or pumpkin needs to come out, then the internals need to come out. You can swap the 3.55 ring gear onto the torsen, then you need to set up the gears.

It is 12 hours book time to pull and replace the center section and probably another 5 hours swapping the diff and setting up the gears.

Easiest way would be to find a torsen equipped center section in a JY and just swap that. They usually have 3.73 gears. Still a pretty good labor hit unless you can do it yourself.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Personally, I'd swap the entire pumpkin for one with the Torsen and the 3.73 gears. The additional rear gear will be a benefit since your trans has taller gearing than the pre-'18 units.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
For what you do itā€™s wasting money IMO. Do the FP track or Street performance kit, upper and lower braces and the control arms. Consider Bilstein B6 also. put the FP PP2 or 3 tune on it and the PS4s tires and thatā€™ll do exactly what you want. I did it all to my 2016 non pp and it was GREAT. This removes the slightly floaty feeling our comfort compromised GTā€™s have and will give your car that hunkered down controlled sporty feeling youā€™re probably looking for.

Last edited:

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
For what you do itā€™s wasting money IMO. Do the FP track or Street performance kit, upper and lower braces and the control arms. Consider Bilstein B6 also. put the FP PP2 or 3 tune on it and the PS4s tires and thatā€™ll do exactly what you want. I did it all to my 2016 non pp and it was GREAT.
Agreed.

No need to overkill on suspension for a summer only street car.

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
For what you do itā€™s wasting money IMO. Do the FP track or Street performance kit, upper and lower braces and the control arms. Consider Bilstein B6 also. put the FP PP2 or 3 tune on it and the PS4s tires and thatā€™ll do exactly what you want. I did it all to my 2016 non pp and it was GREAT.
I am going to be taking mine to get 3.73 gears installed in my base car. It will be my DD with very light (super novice amateur for nowšŸ˜…) Autocross. Is the 3.73 gears in the normal diff fine? I donā€™t *need* the Torsen diff for this correct?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Depends on if you have an Auto or a Manual trans.

3.15 in the auto will need a differential change. 3.31 or 3.55 will not.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I am going to be taking mine to get 3.73 gears installed in my base car. It will be my DD with very light (super novice amateur for nowšŸ˜…) Autocross. Is the 3.73 gears in the normal diff fine? I donā€™t *need* the Torsen diff for this correct?
3.55 to 3.73 is pointless. Go 4.09 for the cost involved.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on if you have an Auto or a Manual trans.

3.15 in the auto will need a differential change. 3.31 or 3.55 will not.
Auto. It will need a diff change to make it work? Does the auto put too much stress on the stock diff with 3.73 gears?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Auto. It will need a diff change to make it work? Does the auto put too much stress on the stock diff with 3.73 gears?
Due to the size, (width), of the 3.15 ring gear it uses a different differential.

Sponsored

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Greetings,

I have a 2022 Mustang GT Premium, manual transmission, 3.55 gears, non Performance Pack. I bought the car used last Fall with only 500 miles on it. It was a great deal, but I wish it would have come with the Performance Pack. Because it didn't, I will be totally upgrading my suspension this Spring, with shock, struts, springs, sway bars, front control arms, vertical links, rear toe links, and a bunch of BMR IRS rear wheel hop stuff.

I will not be going to the track or drag strip. I am a weekend driver in the Summer months only. My main goal is to get a decent suspension. One that should have come with my Mustang. My question is, does it make sense upgrading my Mustang with the Torsen Differential too? If I do this what else is needed? Would I need a new Ring and Pinion gear kit? I am just fine with the stock 3.55 gears.

Trying to duplicate the Performance Pack ala cart, which I did not get, would be way to expensive to do. That being said, what are your thoughts on taking it one step further with the Torsen Differential? Please advise.

Thanks..........
Most would recommend just doing this first,: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-fr3a-m8a.html

Then see if you need the BMR lockout or Steeda STH kit of your choice. For your use, doubt the Torsen is worth the expense right now. Maybe later as the clutch-based LSD wears down swap out.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Due to the size, (width), of the 3.15 ring gear it uses a different differential.
You rock, thanks as always for your valuable info and time.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
3.55 to 3.73 is pointless. Go 4.09 for the cost involved.
This is what I was advised as well for a base model GT with 3.55.

3.73 not going to be too noticeable. Especially for the cost involved.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Personally, I'd swap the entire pumpkin for one with the Torsen and the 3.73 gears. The additional rear gear will be a benefit since your trans has taller gearing than the pre-'18 units.
This would be best option and cost the least as far as labor IF having a shop do the swap.

I would definitely make sure when buying loaded used rear diffs:

- If from a salvage recycler ask to see if they offer any type of warranty (usually 60-90 day) that the diff is good. Some of these facilities will document the VIN and mileage upon removal, as well as confirm the part was good/operational prior to removal.

- Make sure you know the difference between a Track Loc and Torsen; visit this thread if youā€™re needing to know how:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...pp1-a10-5-0-torsen.103184/page-2#post-3720075

- If buying used from private party - be very careful and again, make sure you know what youā€™re buying by the above thread. Some scammers are trying to sell Torsens that are standard Trac-Locs. Also just because someone says the rear diff may be ā€œ3.73ā€, you have to determine if that is true. I can pick up any diff and claim itā€™s ā€œ3.73ā€ and could pawn off a 3.55ā€¦ or less of a gearā€¦. So do your due diligence when buying a loaded used rear diff!

- If you are looking at a diff in person, try to manually turn the pinion flange. Listen for anything out of the ordinary such as grinding and make sure the diff will rotate without major binding. If the seller will allow it, pop the rear cover and check for any major metal debris or visible hardware damages.

OP
OP
Edgemere

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Most would recommend just doing this first,: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-fr3a-m8a.html

Then see if you need the BMR lockout or Steeda STH kit of your choice. For your use, doubt the Torsen is worth the expense right now. Maybe later as the clutch-based LSD wears down swap out.
Thanks, I already have the FRPP shock & strut kit w/ Steeda Minimum Drop Springs in my garage for a spring install. I was just wondering since I was already replacing my suspension what everyone's thoughts were on the Torsen differential.
Sponsored