Sponsored

upgrade just speakers

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
If you guys are upgrading your speakers.. and just keeping the factory radio.. I recommend letting me turn the factory processing off.. it really will help take advantage of the new speakers.. the factory puts processing in the radio to protect the factory equipment.. so as you turn the volume up it rolls frequencies off that could damage or blow the speakers..

If I turn that off it makes a big difference.

This is only if you have the base audio no shaker.. if you have the shaker I just recommend replacing the factory amp.. the main processing is in the amp.. there is still processing in the ACM just not to the extent of the base
Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
If you guys are upgrading your speakers.. and just keeping the factory radio.. I recommend letting me turn the factory processing off.. it really will help take advantage of the new speakers.. the factory puts processing in the radio to protect the factory equipment.. so as you turn the volume up it rolls frequencies off that could damage or blow the speakers..

This is only if you have the base audio no shaker.. if you have the shaker I just recommend replacing the factory amp.. the main processing is in the amp.. there is still processing in the ACM just not to the extent of the base
Thanks for the offer. Do you also do repairs, because there will come a day when our radios break and we will need repairs. I know there are companies that repair factory radios. Right now I am interested in your services but don't want to pull the radio from a new car. Glad you're around... Right now my biggest concern is getting a no wire cut solution to add amps to my base system. Going to try it with a JL Audio 5 channel amp and see how it sounds. The factory radio already has a time alignment feature called "occupancy mode" that works great. But I am concerned that if I try to use it with a sub added (because the amp will pull the sub channel from the front channels most likely), that it will make the bass sound muddy from summing 2 slightly out of phase bass waveforms. I may not notice it on bass. Will be interesting to see. If it does not adversely affect the bass then the factory time alignment will negate the need for an outboard DSP. Do you change anything with the factory time alignment settings? If we're messing with firmware on the factory unit? How much is possible? It's just a computer. Can we add the ability to decode DTS CD's, which are just redbook audio until they hit the computer. Now THAT would be awesome. My last car was a 2005 Acura RL and I am seriously missing the 5.1 surround.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Thanks for the offer. Do you also do repairs, because there will come a day when our radios break and we will need repairs. I know there are companies that repair factory radios. Right now I am interested in your services but don't want to pull the radio from a new car. Glad you're around... Right now my biggest concern is getting a no wire cut solution to add amps to my base system. Going to try it with a JL Audio 5 channel amp and see how it sounds. The factory radio already has a time alignment feature called "occupancy mode" that works great. But I am concerned that if I try to use it with a sub added (because the amp will pull the sub channel from the front channels most likely), that it will make the bass sound muddy from summing 2 slightly out of phase bass waveforms. I may not notice it on bass. Will be interesting to see. If it does not adversely affect the bass then the factory time alignment will negate the need for an outboard DSP. Do you change anything with the factory time alignment settings? If we're messing with firmware on the factory unit? How much is possible? It's just a computer. Can we add the ability to decode DTS CD's, which are just redbook audio until they hit the computer. Now THAT would be awesome. My last car was a 2005 Acura RL and I am seriously missing the 5.1 surround.
No.. what I turn off is the frequency roll off.. as you turn the volume ups the radio starts to back frequencies off.. I don't offer repairs.. its just as cheap to get an ACM off eBay.. well the other thing is in your situation is I can turn off the processing and change the output of the ACM from high level to low level.. so you would have basically a aftermarket equivalent signal output.. I can send you a file and then your dealer can pull it in and you don't even have to pull your car apart

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
No.. what I turn off is the frequency roll off.. as you turn the volume ups the radio starts to back frequencies off.. I don't offer repairs.. its just as cheap to get an ACM off eBay.. well the other thing is in your situation is I can turn off the processing and change the output of the ACM from high level to low level.. so you would have basically a aftermarket equivalent signal output.. I can send you a file and then your dealer can pull it in and you don't even have to pull your car apart
Does this void the warranty? Will the dealer allow this to be done?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Does this void the warranty? Will the dealer allow this to be done?
They are more likely to void your warranty over the amps and speakers.. this is just an as built data change..

Sponsored

svtguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Vert
Base V6 -6 speaker guy here - Interested in your file, Hi just looking for advice thinking of swapping out all 4 -6.5 speakers with Kickers as shown at Stage3 maybe adding a 10 inch subwoofer fed off the rear speakers? You are the man- looking for the best bang for the buck? I have read that a aftermarket stereo unit is finally in the works-probably a year off?:thumbsup:

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Base V6 -6 speaker guy here - Interested in your file, Hi just looking for advice thinking of swapping out all 4 -6.5 speakers with Kickers as shown at Stage3 maybe adding a 10 inch subwoofer fed off the rear speakers? You are the man- looking for the best bang for the buck? I have read that a aftermarket stereo unit is finally in the works-probably a year off?:thumbsup:
Hi.. yeah the best bang for the buck is turning off the processing.. it really makes a difference.. you can actually enjoy your new speakers..

Ford puts so much processing into the radio to protect the factory equipment that it really makes it hard to upgrade.

If you decide you want to do it just PM me and I can get you fixed up.. I will need to know if you are adding an amp for your kids and highs or just replacing the speakers..

Thanks Guys!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

If you don't mind me asking and since I don't have access to the S550 Shop Manuals, where is the Shaker amp?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
If you don't mind me asking and since I don't have access to the S550 Shop Manuals, where is the Shaker amp?
I think its in the rear right of the trunk.. I will have to check.. I will get back with you when I get a chance to look.

Sponsored

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

This is something that alot of the 6-speaker folks might be interested in. I think you should start a new thread with all the details and I bet you get quite a bit of traction :thumbsup:

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
This is something that alot of the 6-speaker folks might be interested in. I think you should start a new thread with all the details and I bet you get quite a bit of traction :thumbsup:
I may do that.. thanks for the recommendation!

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
?

anything new?

Retroflect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Hi.. yeah the best bang for the buck is turning off the processing.. it really makes a difference.. you can actually enjoy your new speakers..

Ford puts so much processing into the radio to protect the factory equipment that it really makes it hard to upgrade.

If you decide you want to do it just PM me and I can get you fixed up.. I will need to know if you are adding an amp for your kids and highs or just replacing the speakers..

Thanks Guys!
Any news on the new harness you were working on? I'd be interested in the processing elimination.
Sponsored