Sponsored

Unlocking the mustang without a key?

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Race Red
My sister has a 2013 Nissan Altima which has push to start and a button on the door handle that you can press when you have the key close so you can unlock the car. I have been looking all over at pics of the mustang trying to see how they implemented this feature and I don't see a button on the door handle.

So, I am wondering if anyone has a clue at how they did this or have they read/heard how it is going to work? I know on the ford fusion they have the button code thing that pops up where you can enter a certain code to unlock it but I would prefer a button or something along those lines.

I know this is a small topic compared to the rest of the car, but just something I thought of.
Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
Maybe an indentation or something on the handle? Less intrusive?

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I'm sure there's a button on the door handle. Probably on the back side. I know the button for the Trunk is located under the edge of the Tag Pocket.
attachment-5.jpeg

MadMoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stuff
On my wife's escape you just touch the inside of the door handle like you're about to open it and it unlocks if the key is in your pocket

OP
OP
brookdo

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just found this about the Ford Explorer:
"Keep your keys in your pocket to gain access to the Explorer. It’s pretty much that simple, thanks to the Intelligent Access with push-button start feature. Simply have the Intelligent Access key in your pocket or purse near the driver’s door. (The system senses when the key is nearby.) Then touch the door handle to unlock the driver’s door or all the doors. Once inside, just press the brake pedal and then the start button. Shift into gear and go. Standard on the Explorer Limited."

All you have to do is put your hand on the door handle and it will unlock. The explorer does have a button to lock it back so not sure if you would be able to lock it this way on the mustang. Also this video shows how it works on the explorer. Pretty cool.

Oh and thanks for the pics and other info!

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Why can't it lock and unlock simply by sensing if remote is near or not?

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Why can't it lock and unlock simply by sensing if remote is near or not?

It can, but what happens if you're standing around near your car talking to someone? It will keep happening. My Kia Optima has the keyless start and doors and the way that works is if I go near the car the interior light comes on for a few seconds, assuming I am about to get in. If I don't it goes off. I have to press a button on my door handle to open. Great feature though, keys never leave my pocket.

Ford already mentioned this new Mustang will have keyless start. I am assuming based on the seamless design we've seen and the picture someone shared of the hidden trunk button that this will have the buttonless handles like the other Ford cars mentioned that will allow a keyless entry.

evilrazor

Threads
Reaction score
The way by bmw worked is when you reached for the handle the car would unlock. When you got out and slide the back of your hand across the handle it would lock. No buttons or anything like that.

S550 64G

Threads
Reaction score
My sister has a 2013 Nissan Altima which has push to start and a button on the door handle that you can press when you have the key close so you can unlock the car. I have been looking all over at pics of the mustang trying to see how they implemented this feature and I don't see a button on the door handle.

So, I am wondering if anyone has a clue at how they did this or have they read/heard how it is going to work? I know on the ford fusion they have the button code thing that pops up where you can enter a certain code to unlock it but I would prefer a button or something along those lines.

I know this is a small topic compared to the rest of the car, but just something I thought of.
Works the same way as all the other Ford vehicles with push-button start. Touch the inside of either front door handle and it unlocks, touch the "button" on the front of the door handle to lock. Like the Focus and MKZ the "button" on the Mustang is just a raised dimple and painted body color.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
We have a 2008 Volvo (created under Ford's ownership) and to unlock the doors you just pull the handle. There is a small button on the handle that is used to lock the car when you leave. Works great!

-T

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Mustang has PUSH START... I didn't read anywhere where it had keyless entry.

OP
OP
brookdo

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang has PUSH START... I didn't read anywhere where it had keyless entry.
This is from the ford website on the 2015 mustang page.
THE TECH
This is not technology for technology’s sake. Every feature Mustang offers enhances your driving experience – whether it’s the advanced sensors that detect cars in your blind spots or the advanced communications system.

Intelligent Access with push-button start
As long as you have the key on you, you can unlock the door and start the car without ever having to reach into your pocket.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I think some NISSAN's auto unlocks the doors when you are close enough... (or they silently unlock them the instant you try the door handle). Nice feature, but I was a bit paranoid with my rental --- always wondering if the car was locked or not (eventually walked away and had my kid run back to check the doors :D)

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Have You not noticed there is not a single Key Hole Anywhere on the car?
Sponsored