Uh.....Guys?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
That car just loves you, doesn't it? hehe

(can you smell the sarcasm?)

I've gotten to the point where I'm quite certain what the noise is (mild piston slap). So, I just drive it like a Mustang, and let it scream like a banshee on the back country roads.

As for the thud that Flanagan mentioned. I had that thudding type of tick, which basically followed engine rpm once over 1,200. I think that may actually be the A/C compressor, but who knows? All I know is mine does idle smooooother, and that tick is gone. Only random tick I have now is warm up.
I wondrr what could be different between engine starts. In my case it's not a matter of shutting the engine and then starting it. Some time should also pass.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Makes sense, I can see why tunes made the problem worse, make more power, possibly pull harder to one side with tune, makes tick worse.. At least it did on my 2018!

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
IMRC? Yes, I have heard about it. However, my noise is more like a grind, not just a tapping that follows engine rpm. I have a feeling it's not the IMRC.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tried it. Didn't work.
That grind I had on my video was more like some minor gear lash when in neutral, or maybe even the floater plate rattling in the clutch. It was definitely clutch/tranny related. Especially since it started the day I got the clutch replaced.

Sponsored

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Condor1970; thanks for posting all the info. Very constructive. Any further updates on how this has been working for you?

After the dealer having my car new car 3 weeks, changing the exhaust solenoid, and discussions/tests directed by Ford, they told me my tick is determined to be normal. I went in and re-created the tick immediately on demand (car was cold), and tech heard it clearly. Apparently they went back and forth with Ford all week, and they claim it’s normal. So I’ll probably give the tensioner a try. Tech told me to keep driving and bring it back when it gets worse. Only driven the ticking car 1,200 miles since new.

Has anyone else with an 18 or 19 tried this? Reading through the entire thread, I see it didn’t seem to work for 15 and 17 models when others tried it. However watching videos of Gen 2 tick, they seem much more mild and infrequent than Gen 3.

Last edited:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Comdor1970; thanks for posting all the info. Very constructive. Any further updates on how this has been working for you?

After the dealer having my car new car 3 weeks, changing the exhaust solenoid, and discussions/tests directed by Ford, they told me my tick is determined to be normal. I went in and re-created the tick immediately on demand (car was cold), and tech heard it clearly. Apparently they went back and forth with Ford all week, and they claim it’s normal. So I’ll probably give the tensioner a try. Tech told me to keep driving and bring it back when it gets worse. Only driven the ticking car 1,200 miles since new.

Has anyone else with an 18 or 19 tried this? Reading through the entire thread, I see it didn’t seem to work for 15 and 17 models when others tried it. However watching videos of Gen 2 tick, they seem much more mild and infrequent than Gen 3.
Drive your car..

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Drive your car..
Yeah but in another thread you commented on my video, and said it was way worse than others. I also blew threw 1.5 qt of oil in last 1,200 miles, and only achieved 11 mpg on last tank.

I didn’t drop $40,000 for this ticker. Love driving it, thus interested to see if this mod has held up for Condor1970.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Yeah but in another thread you commented on my video, and said it was way worse than others. I also blew threw 1.5 qt of oil in last 1,200 miles, and only achieved 11 mpg on last tank.

I didn’t drop $40,000 for this ticker. Love driving it, thus interested to see if this mod has held up for Condor1970.
Sorry I cant keep up with who posts what. Forget the tick, the oil consumption is what you should be only talking about. You need to tell that to the dealer, tell them about the oil.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I believe the reason they spent two weeks discussing and testing with Ford is because of the oil drop. Frustrating to say the least.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I believe the reason they spent two weeks discussing and testing with Ford is because of the oil drop. Frustrating to say the least.

The a/c tensioner doesn't fix the rattle or bbq tick. It fixes a thumping kind of knock that is at idle qnd sometimes up to 1500 rpms. Regardless, if you're burning oil, the tensioner won't do anything to help that.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That is my car :)

The manifold was faulty. However the sound which sounded like slap disappeared more or less with the new manifold from the top of the engine, at least when in neutral an reving. However the 2k slap is still there but it sounds very similar. I wrote in another thread if it the 2k sounds are related to the manifold.... as the sounds are very similar to what I had with the first manifold, but it was very amplified with that manifold.

Just throwing it out there...

My car is not with me at the moment (it's at the dealer where I purchased the car from as we speak) was thinking of disconnecting the IMRC and go for a test drive and see if it disappears, but this is not possible at the moment.

Condor, this guy found source of his rpm drop rattle.

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That is my car :)

The manifold was faulty. However the sound which sounded like slap disappeared more or less with the new manifold from the top of the engine, at least when in neutral an reving. However the 2k slap is still there but it sounds very similar. I wrote in another thread if it the 2k sounds are related to the manifold.... as the sounds are very similar to what I had with the first manifold, but it was very amplified with that manifold.

Just throwing it out there...

My car is not with me at the moment (it's at the dealer where I purchased the car from as we speak) was thinking of disconnecting the IMRC and go for a test drive and see if it disappears, but this is not possible at the moment.
The rattle was still very much there even when disconnected. Curious though, as to another issue. I get the same rapid ticking at idle that doesn't go up with RPMs. Hasn't caused any idle issues but the only thing I could see it being is the CMCV. Do these being faulty require a whole new intake, or just a new solenoid? I find it incredibly weird that it's the same intake manifold swapped over to the longblock, but now this rapid ticking is going on.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I was going to, but now I have the rattle even with the A/C off when the engine is cold. I had eliminated it for a while by not running the A/C. At this point, all I can do is keep driving it and hope for the best.

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You guys are more committed than I am. I had the rattle and believe the beginning of the tick. That combined with the potential transmission issues led me to just trading it in on a 19 1SS manual Camaro. Chevy offers an additional $2k rebate for mustang owners (if you ask for it). Lost a bit of dough but for me it was worth the piece of mind not having to deal with engine or transmission replacements.
Sponsored