Sponsored

Uh.....Guys?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I don't doubt that people truly have a tick and a rattle but it seems like there's excess paranoia now about ANY sound coming from the engine.

Engines make noise. Mine does and it's a 2016.

We need to separate the truth from the paranoia here!
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
We need to separate the truth from the paranoia here!
I'll say again, I'm not paranoid. I can't speak for the rest of the people here, but I don't think anything significant is happening that would deteriorate the engine. It's simply a nuisance... It's annoying to drive past a wall with the windows down, and instead of hearing that beautiful V8 roar, hearing "tick tick tick"

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^ I think Jake is right. It seems to be more of a nuisance than a catastrophic problem. That said, it isn't paranoia when someone does take it in, and they find scored cylinders, and filters full of metal. That's one of the few occasions where the nuisance snowballed into an obvious mechanical problem.

Is this widespread? Not sure. The noise is certainly widespread, and it does appear to be happening a lot more than the 2015-2017 models. Whether or not it's a guarantee of engine failure, I have no idea.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'm with you 2 both but re-read my 1st sentence ... it's about those that are now making an issue about ANY noise that a NORMAL engine makes. That's all.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Yes, but I had a VERY slight amount of the 2k rattle to begin with. Almost unmentionable. That's why I have talked mainly about the BBQ tick. However, that slight 2k rattle does not appear to be there any more.

The tick was the most concerning to me, especially when it became a constant tick with engine rpm when revving above 1,200rpm.

I think in "some" cases, the A/C belt is just pulling too hard to the right, and that slight pull, causes just enough misalignment to create some very slight ticking/piston slap. I'm just glad I haven't found anything in my filters "yet."

Keep in mind, I can't say this is going to work for everyone. That's simply not true.I feel bad that accel tried it, and has reported no change. I wish it did. I think this kind of thing only works on occasion, and it's why Ford didn't really push the TSB all that much. They just offered it as a possible course of action to help the issue. It obviously seems to have helped with "some" owners though. Like, me, and the other guy with the 2015 in the original video I first posted.
the other guy is gen 1 coyote. I think we are the only ones who applied gen1 tsb to gen 2 and gen 3, besides someone else who mnetioned this thing fits 2018 at lmr product review page.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Great work guy's, this forum can and will help teach many enthusiast & hopefully Ford Management! These TSB's not followed up on is crazy, and yes money is the problem. Ethic's also play into this as legal,medical, and business ethics are ignored these days. Cheers! to all the "Tech's" here!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So has anyone else tried this? I'd be all over this if my car wasn't stuck at the dealership.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Are the f150s not having this issue?! It’s the same damn engine same compression and everything but I believe a different cam profile and that is it! I haven’t heard anything! With as many 5.0 f150s ford sells you’d think this would be a HUGE issue.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Are the f150s not having this issue?! It’s the same damn engine same compression and everything but I believe a different cam profile and that is it! I haven’t heard anything! With as many 5.0 f150s ford sells you’d think this would be a HUGE issue.
Some Ford trucks with the Gen2 Coyote have been reported to have the BBQ tick at idle also. Not sure about the 2000 RPM "rattle" in the 2018+ trucks with the plasma cylinder coating.

There was a TSB put out by Ford just recently that addresses a "rattle" (above idle, whie changing throttle) in the F-150s that requires an ECU update to change the control of a solenoid valve (if I recall correctly). But no simular TSB for the Mustang, so apparently not the same rattle going on between the truck and Mustang engines.

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
there are links to threads like this at f150 forums in this thread. same things.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
... and again... today I had one tick free ride...

which I'm pretty sure will be superseded by another one full of ticking

Last edited:

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Well I did ac tensioner today.. Results cold start intermediate tapping still there but the random light thud sound is gone..car does idle smoother.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
... and again... today I had one tock free ride...

which I'm pretty sure will be superseded by another one full of ticking
That car just loves you, doesn't it? hehe

(can you smell the sarcasm?)

I've gotten to the point where I'm quite certain what the noise is (mild piston slap). So, I just drive it like a Mustang, and let it scream like a banshee on the back country roads.

As for the thud that Flanagan mentioned. I had that thudding type of tick, which basically followed engine rpm once over 1,200. I think that may actually be the A/C compressor, but who knows? All I know is mine does idle smooooother, and that tick is gone. Only random tick I have now is warm up.
Sponsored