Tuning and Modes

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
Sorry for the noob question, but I am a noob.

When I switch from normal mode to Sport or Track, am I using a different tune that's programmed already into the car?

If I purchase a tune, like Lund, will it change all driving modes?

Thanks in advance (TIA)

Buzz
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
No you keep all driving modes. You'll just have added power in each mod.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
If I am not mistaken, the only difference is how deep your gears are in Sports mode compared to regular driving mode. So your RPMs stay in the power band longer. Some tunes like Ford Performances give the regular drive mode and sports mode in automatic platforms a more aggressive shift schedule.

Drive modes are just how aggressive your gears are.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Regs,
Drive modes are purely electronic and affect throttle response and traction nannies.

They are not alternative tunes either.
So, if you get a tune, they work the same.

To test it, try a launch in each mode, and see how it feels.
Wet snow feels like you just lost 100 hp, normal is well, normal, sport sharpens throttle response, and track is sharper and affect your traction control.

OP
OP
buzzcii

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
They are not alternative tunes either.
So, if you get a tune, they work the same.
Chef, can you elaborate?

If I put on a CAI, headers, cat/res delete and 3" exhaust thereafter, I will need a tune. Like a Lund tune for example.

My questions is, will all modes be affected by the new tune? Or just Normal Mode? Or does the new tune account for all modes?

Buzz

Oops, I think Bluebeast answered my question.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

JRENIGAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT A6 3.15 premium
I can tell that in normal drive mode my trans shift is alot firmer than in any other drive mode. IDK about engine tuning but I dont think the trans tune is changed in all modes.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Lund make global changes to the throttle maps and driver demand tables, so all modes except wet mode are effected. In short they turn up driver demand to make the throttle more sensitive.

Some of us like myself requested this was put back to stock as I prefer a long linear peddle. :)

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I can tell that in normal drive mode my trans shift is alot firmer than in any other drive mode. IDK about engine tuning but I dont think the trans tune is changed in all modes.
I noticed this too. The car shifts hardest/fastest in normal drive (D) mode. S/S+/TRACK mode shift the 2nd hardest/fastest and paddles come in third.

Too bad the paddles can't be made to be shifted how it does in D mode.

OP
OP
buzzcii

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
I noticed this too. The car shifts hardest/fastest in normal drive (D) mode. S/S+/TRACK mode shift the 2nd hardest/fastest and paddles come in third.

Intriguing yet confusing. It doesn't sound like the tune improved Sport+ and track mode.

Are Norm and Sport+ now closer in comparison?

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have an Auto and Procharger.

For me normal and sport+ feel basically the same in terms of throttle response/sensitivity. Lund stated that they must be the same to reduce the chance of surging with the blower. So I assume in N/A tunes Sport+ is still made more sensitive than Normal.

However, Sport+ changes the behavior of the transmission alot. Shifts harder, up and down shift points are completely different, holds higher RPM for longer before downshifting, and cruise RPM is higher below 6th gear. I haven't used Track mode, Snow/Wet still retains it's Honda Civic properties.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK

Get a Lund tune and enjoy the hardest, fastest shifts you will find from a 6R80. No less instantaneous than any DSG out there. And the paddle shift tune is F'ing impressive!!!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Get a Lund tune and enjoy the hardest, fastest shifts you will find from a 6R80. No less instantaneous than any DSG out there. And the paddle shift tune is F'ing impressive!!!
+1 to that. My car chirps and sometimes fishtails shifting into 3rd. Probably would even chirp into 4th too but don't think thatll ever happen at WOT :D :headbonk:

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
+1 to that. My car chirps and sometimes fishtails shifting into 3rd. Probably would even chirp into 4th too but don't think thatll ever happen at WOT :D :headbonk:
Drag radials are the only thing keeping my car from turning into a YouTube video during shifts :first:
Sponsored