Sponsored

Tuners have a thinking outside the box exhaust sound question

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
Ok for the most part 95% wish our little EB sounded a bit better. So I had an idea and wanted to see if tuners could do this with DI engines. So SRT-4s are probably one of the best sounding turbo'd 4 bangers. It has a lot to do with the way the pcm is programmed on the car. The higher the stage PCM the louder the pops and crackles got. They all add a little fuel right before and during deceleration to give it that sound. - "Backfiring is the combustion of unburned fuel in the exhaust (or intake for that matter). So, the reason we get it during deceleration is because the flow is slowing down allowing any unburned fuel to heat up (autoignition temperature ~ 500 F). The reason Stage upgrades have more is because they allow more fuel to be delivered to the engine thus more fuel can get through unburned. Installing a 3" DP or turboback allows the flow to slow down even more during deceleration which give the fuel more time to heat up to that magic ~500 F." -

So I was wondering is it possible for any of our tuners to add this.... Maybe try it out and see how it sounds and responds to our little EBs.
Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
The crackles, gurgles, and pops are the best part of a turbo 4's sound. The more the merrier, I say!!:headbang:

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping one of the tuners can hop in here

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
Adding fuel on deceleration is not going to change the exhaust sound if that's what you are going for. As for the "pops", the less sound muffling pieces you have the more prominent it will be. Stock exhaust I had none but deleting that res and muffler I get a good amount almost every time I let off even on stock tune. If you have a cat, resonator and muffler than a tune designed to pop is going to need to dump a bunch of unnecessary fuel to sound "cool" kind of like the ghost cam from Lund. Sounds cool to some but zero gains either way that's something to ask your tuner.

JGato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Base Ecoboost
Crazy part is that the SRT-4 did not even come with mufflers stock. I love that sound! I remember my buddy bought one when we got back from Iraq in 04. I always wanted to drive that car because it felt so damn fast! I had a slow ass 2004 civic SI that I dropped $5k into just to get hydro locked two weeks later.

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Hoping one of the tuners can hop in here
I agree. These cars really don't have a great sounding exhaust at all. My Magna Flow setup helped mine some.

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Hold up! SRT 4 best turbo 4 banger sound?! I think this is up for debate.

I'd have to say a WRX/Sti with a nice exhaust takes the win on turbo 4 bangers engine sound. There's no tune or exhaust on any other car that can replicate that boxer engine note.

*Speakers with subwoofer required to appreciate true sound:

i4gains

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver EB Mustang with PP
actually, not to be a technical douche but it's not the boxer engine, but its actually the headers thats on the north american version on the STI's, in fact here in Oregon, Cobb has a store, Cobb surgline and he has the japanese version of the STI, which uses a different header, and it sounds like a ricer, nothing like the typical badass sounding subis

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
I remember that it seems like audi RS6/RS7 is programmed to spit a drop of oil to the exhaust when downshifting to provide a pop sound or anything. I wonder where do those oil come from tho

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump for a tuner to add to this

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
actually, not to be a technical douche but it's not the boxer engine, but its actually the headers thats on the north american version on the STI's, in fact here in Oregon, Cobb has a store, Cobb surgline and he has the japanese version of the STI, which uses a different header, and it sounds like a ricer, nothing like the typical badass sounding subis
That's the difference between unequal length headers (typical Subaru sound we all know) and equal length headers (standard sounding 4 cylinder sound).

Here's a video comparison of the two different header setups.

Jdach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB 50th pp
I asked Adam about this a few months ago-
"Is there any way that you can make one of my tune slots pump in extra gas when I take my foot off the gas so it crackles? I know the jaguar f type and focus RS use software tuning to make it crackle and I was wondering if you could do something for my mustang ecoboost."

"There are no off throttle fueling tables unfortunately, so this wouldn't be possible."

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Is there any way that you can make one of my tune slots pump in extra gas when I take my foot off the gas so it crackles? I know the jaguar f type and focus RS use software tuning to make it crackle and I was wondering if you could do something for my mustang ecoboost."

"There are no off throttle fueling tables unfortunately, so this wouldn't be possible."

And there you have it.... Thanks for the answer :(

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
That's the difference between unequal length headers (typical Subaru sound we all know) and equal length headers (standard sounding 4 cylinder sound).

Here's a video comparison of the two different header setups.
Equal length headers on a boxer still sounds different then a typical inline 4 cylinder.

The very nature of the boxer has the headers unequal length unless you do some weird bends to make them equal out, like shown in the video. So it's somewhat a byproduct of the engine design which is why I said it has that boxer "engine note". Also, the firing order is completey different as opposed to a inline 4. It goes 1324 as opposed to the inline 1342. All the Porsche 6 cylinder flat engines sound nothing like the V6s due to the firing order.

It's kind of like the difference in the GT350 with a different firing order using the flat plane crank which has more of a Ferrari V8 sound as opposed to the American v8 burble, its mainly attributed to the difference in firing order which is even for the GT350 just like in Ferrari V8s.

Kbrewer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium ecoboost mustang AT

I too asked Adam this question last week and got the same answer :(
Sponsored