Sponsored

Transmission Whine

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
Did a search, but came up with nothing.

I have some very noticeable whine from the transmission, especially when decelerating in low gears. Normal?

If it is normal then I'm fine, I don't mind the sound in a track-bred machine like this, but if it's not something I should be hearing then I'll take it in. Again, there's NO grinding, just whine. Synchros?

If I have to, I'll take a video, but if this is normal then I assume everyone will know what I'm talking about without a video.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Did a search, but came up with nothing.

I have some very noticeable whine from the transmission, especially when decelerating in low gears. Normal?

If it is normal then I'm fine, I don't mind the sound in a track-bred machine like this, but if it's not something I should be hearing then I'll take it in. Again, there's NO grinding, just whine. Synchros?

If I have to, I'll take a video, but if this is normal then I assume everyone will know what I'm talking about without a video.
I get the same thing, especially in 2nd or 3rd when slowing down. I read in the manual (can't remember where) that some drivetrain noise is normal. Wasn't too specific about it though.

OP
OP

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
I get the same thing, especially in 2nd or 3rd when slowing down. I read in the manual (can't remember where) that some drivetrain noise is normal. Wasn't too specific about though.
Cool. Thanks for the response!

Anyone else?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
No whine for me either. Got the same vibration as trackaholic tho.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Page 24 of the supplemental manual states the following.

"Your vehicle is equipped with a twin disc
clutch. Due to the high performance of the
powertrain, a certain amount of noise from
the transmission is normal."

Not real specific.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Kinda interesting. The few issues that are coming up, they just say it's normal - then we just roll with it?

Piston slap. "It's going to do it cold, then it might and might not go away when it's warm, but it's normal"...

Transmission whine. "It's high performance so it will make some random sounds that we aren't even going to describe, but it's normal"...

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
At least it isn't like the Pinto or Corvair. "may explode on contact" But it's normal.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Kinda interesting. The few issues that are coming up, they just say it's normal - then we just roll with it?

Piston slap. "It's going to do it cold, then it might and might not go away when it's warm, but it's normal"...

Transmission whine. "It's high performance so it will make some random sounds that we aren't even going to describe, but it's normal"...
Yah, not the most helpful explanations. But, it does go with the territory owing higher performance cars like these. They definitely make a lot more noise and different ones than a regular car.

Sponsored

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I don't want to be that guy saying "if you think that's bad, you should see ..." but...

Compared to a 2009 Nissan GT-R I had, this car has barely any "becauseracecar" noises!

With my GT-R I was concerned enough about the strange noises that I made videos and asked on the forums. The bellhousing rattle ended up being a $7k~ warranty service :headbonk:

[ame]

[ame]

Maybe this will be comforting lol

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350

Yes! We all just roll with it. Embrace it as part of the amazing soundtrack these cars produce. Get used to it so that your auditory radar will be able to identify an actual problem when it starts to make a new and unexpected sound.

As I've stated in other threads, naturally-aspirated high-performance cars rely on lots of mechanical wizardry (as opposed to forced induction) to make power. Mechanical stuff makes mechanical noises.

My go-to case-in-point are the last raw M3s of E46 vintage. The 100% completely normal -- yet completely pants-soiling to first-time drivers -- mechanical sounds emitted by those cars make our GT350s sound like your grandma's Caddy rolling down the highway at 48 in the left lane.

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I don't want to be that guy saying "if you think that's bad, you should see ..." but...
LOL guess I'm "that guy" too, so at least you have company. :cheers:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Well I "am" just rolling with it. My trans is pretty quiet at 350 miles...but the piston slap at full temperature is a little unnerving, to be honest.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
kratty;1376498My go-to case-in-point are the last raw M3s of E46 vintage. The 100% completely normal -- yet completely pants-soiling to first-time drivers -- mechanical sounds emitted by those cars make our GT350s sound like your grandma's Caddy rolling down the highway at 48 in the left lane.[/QUOTE said:
My DCT M4 had a lot of different clunks and noises as well. You could also here the DI clatter if out of the car at idle very easily.
Sponsored