Sponsored

TRANSMISSION ISSUE. Ford Engineering asking me to put more miles on the car

Rizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Uh-Oh, I am a happy driver of an MT 2015 Mustang GT Performance Package. I took my vehicle in for scheduled maintenance earlier this week and to have the local Ford service dept take a look at an issue I've had with the car.

The issue is a strange metallic clicking/skipping sound coming from the transmission area when the clutch pedal is pressed in (could also be felt in the pedal) and also some difficulty shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear at times.

The local dealership/service representative went ahead and contacted Ford Engineering to which we were both told to "put more miles on the car" and if the issue was still there after a week, to take the car back in and remove the transmission. My car is at about 3,600 miles. Purchased in July 2015 with 12 miles on the odo.

I am slightly concerned because the car was doing this but very lightly when I first drove it off the lot. I just figured it would go away after a few miles, since everything was still new it would take time for everything to align properly and lube correctly, but it unfortunately got worse.

So now we will see, I am picking up the car tonight.

How costly is this? Does anyone have any previous experience with issues like this?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I you are hearing sound with pedal pressed in, it's probably a throwout bearing

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
How costly is this? Does anyone have any previous experience with issues like this?
It's under warranty, so not your problem. Do what they say, if it goes away great. If not, they'll diagnose and fix the issue.

OP
OP

Rizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Oooh...... Dang, just looked it up. Looks severe. Does this type of part usually wear out this quick? I was told not to race the engine or accelerate hard in the first 2000 miles, to which I followed religiously. I'm on 3600 now.

OP
OP

Rizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Was planning on it, I'm just a bit worried about the whole "wearable parts" thing... Thanks for the reply though, does help with the worrying!

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
the metallic clicking/skipping sounds like a defect

difficulty shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear at times may be normal if its cold. Don't muscle the shift

racing the engine and accelerating hard shouldn't hurt the transmission. Unless you are rushing or forcing a shift, in which case you can load up the syncs and clutch. But that's at any mileage.

I doubt most of us are babying our cars for 2000 miles :eek:

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
I came out side ways off the dealer's lot and at 1500 miles, still no noise or chatter on the pedal. There's no such thing as breaking in transmission or at least that I know of. I drove my car semi hard first 500 miles to break the engine in and made sure rpm was at various level and never constant. I'd take it back after a few miles and say noise exists please fix. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Pretty sure the manual says 1000 miles...! Not sure why they doubled that for you!
^^^^
TRUE

Owners manual states not to push the car to its limits during the 1st 1,000 miles.

OP
OP

Rizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah, I saw that on there too so I was confused as to why they would tell me 2,000 as well. either way, didn't push it hard for those first 2,000. also small update, its is still making the noise but not as frequently... hmmm... they are smart. haha.

Now hoping the shifting fixes itself the same way. I have realized that shifting into 2nd gear is butter smooth past 5,000 rpm anything below then and it takes extra strength to make the shifter go into 2nd...I'll give it another week.

Thank you all for your feedback guys I really appreciate it!

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
The only fix for MT82 problems, is to not own one. I had one in my 13. This time I went with the auto, and no regrets.
Sponsored