Totaled? Advice/Discuss

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
They will not total that car. You will not be able to tell there was ever any damage once the body shop is done. Assuming of course that you take it to a good shop. Your insurance company can reccomend one I'm sure. Carfax will eventually note it.
You are at fault simply because you were last in line. At least for your car and the damage you caused to the truck. I'm surprised you weren't ticketed. Perhaps the officer believed you more than them. Without anyone being ticketed the only one who won't have to pay for their own car is the blue one.
Sponsored

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Unfortunate to be introducing myself this way, but I've got a situation. So single lane on highway because construction, a truck rear ends a small compact car. I'm able to swerve and avoid smashing into the back of the truck, but there was not a big of enough space between the truck and the divider on the highway (only one lane again) so the trucks driver side bumper runs down the passenger side of my car. No citations were written, but the other two involved first said there was a fourth car in the very front who caused the pile up and then fled the scene. Then the cop tells me the truck driver says I slammed into the back of him speeding and caused him to hit the car in front of him. Crew cap F-150 and I think a civic are the other vehicles. I never saw a 4th vehicle. Will attach pics of everything. Curious what everyone thinks. I don't know what to do really, first accident. Vehicle drove home perfectly fine, straight as she ever drove and comfortable. Passenger window does not roll down (I believe) door opens and shuts like perfect. So the cars home in my driveway and the claims been started, but I'm so bummed I might lose my (new to me) 5.0. Thanks everybody.

Pics below are immediately following the accident where we all pulled into a gas station with the police. The blue car was rear ended by the truck which I then dodged. Again that crew cab F-150 driver said I was speeding and smashed into him from behind causing him to hit the blue car. My passenger side mirror was the first point of impact with the trucks bumper as I tried to dodge their collision. I think the photos show that I did not cause him to hit the car. There were no citations and I've uploaded all these pics and explained my case to my Progressive claims adjuster already. They haven't called me, but i sent messages. Thankyou all i know it's long and repetitive, but I am sick to my stomach over this.
IMG_20200727_220016258.jpg
IMG_20200727_220021170.jpg
IMG_20200727_220630432.jpg
IMG_20200727_220549977.jpg
IMG_20200727_220656953.jpg
IMG_20200727_220051253.jpg
IMG_20200727_220108539.jpg
IMG_20200727_220030219.jpg
IMG_20200727_220100611.jpg
IMG_20200727_220040866.jpg
As a defense attorney going on my 14th year, my best advice to you is to stop dwelling on who’s fault it is and let the insurance company and attorneys work that out. You can argue your point until your face turns blue as to who’s fault it is but there is a whole system in place and your statement or version of the accident is a very singular piece of it. My point to you is that if you are insured, get the car repaired and put this behind you. Even if there lawsuits in the future (hopefully not), your only obligation is to tell the truth and let the rest play out. In the end, you will be fine. The whole reason we have insurance is so that we don’t have to carry both the monetary and legal burden of an accident. Glad you were not hurt and I hope no one was either. Best of luck.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, glad you’re ok - crumpled up people can’t be replaced, but a crumpled car or sheet metal can...

So from your pics, the car most likely won’t be totaled. In order for a car to be totaled, the damages have to be or exceed 74% of the actual cash value of the vehicle. This is not a Blue Book value, but a value that is available in a specialty Insurance only book often called the Black or Red Book. These books are only available to the Insurance, Banking and Body Shoo industry.

The cost to repair the damages will most likely be in the $7k-$10k range depending on the shop (will they be using new Ford OEM sheet metal or sourcing certain used Ford parts) and what/how your Insurance Adjuster prices the repair (parts, labor, paint, possible hidden damages, etc).

So to make you feel just a tad better....
This is what happened to my prior 2011 Genesis Coupe in 2015 after a deer slammed into it. Coming down a road around midnight traveling at 55mph, it’s all woods, all of the sudden, a huge "crash" into the passenger side of the car... Startled the f'n shit outta me, I pull over (it's pitch black on the road and area), can't see anything, light up my iPhone's flashlight mode and the entire passenger side 1/4 panel right behind the passenger door was caved in, door sheet metal was all rippled and front fender was dented.

Damn thing came straight out of the woods full force, hit and must have rolled down the side of the car.

If I remember correctly, the damage was in excess of $7k. Entire 1/4 panel and door skin had to be replaced with genuine new sheet metal. Rear interior panel on that same side had to be replaced because the force of the hit cracked the panel. Front fender dent was popped out. Entire side of the car was prepped/resprayed and blended where needed. The body shop did an awesome job, could never tell it was mangled or repainted.

Funny thing is, the damage never showed on any 'carfax-like" reports.

Here’s the pics when it was at the body shop getting torn down. You can see how hard it hit the 1/4, kinda see the door ripples, and how they replaced it.
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG

The repair to your GT will be very similar, if not near identical as far as tear down and replacement.

Good luck. Source out a good shop in your area with good reviews. Inspect the car thoroughly once it’s fixed and don’t sign or accept anything unless you’re 100% happy with the end results.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I concur it's not totaled. That integrated rear quarter skin is expensive to replace but all in all just chalk it up as a lesson to pay more attention to your surroundings. I'm not judging you for it, we've all been there at one point or another, but it's always your responsibility to react to what's going on in front of you in a timely manner. Also, invest in a dash cam when you get the car back.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
My only advice to you is mirroring Cobra Jet. When you pick the car up, take a buddy with a good eye and go over everything on the car for as long as it takes to make sure it looks right. Do not sign/accept any papers before you are completely satisfied.

They will say the work is warrantied if any problems arise, but you have a much better chance of making them fix any issues right before you sign and accept the car back.

It also will help to look at the car in different lighting. If they have it parked inside when you come to inspect, look it over real good inside and then ask them to move it outside. Facing the sun so you can really get a good look at the paint will help a lot.

Sponsored

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
That is far from a write off. I am guessing around $5000
I think it will be a little more than $5000. It was $2600 to replace and paint that door.
IMG_20190531_095448419_HDR.jpg

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
Well, glad you’re ok - crumpled up people can’t be replaced, but a crumpled car or sheet metal can...

So from your pics, the car most likely won’t be totaled. In order for a car to be totaled, the damages have to be or exceed 74% of the actual cash value of the vehicle. This is not a Blue Book value, but a value that is available in a specialty Insurance only book often called the Black or Red Book. These books are only available to the Insurance, Banking and Body Shoo industry.

The cost to repair the damages will most likely be in the $7k-$10k range depending on the shop (will they be using new Ford OEM sheet metal or sourcing certain used Ford parts) and what/how your Insurance Adjuster prices the repair (parts, labor, paint, possible hidden damages, etc).

So to make you feel just a tad better....
This is what happened to my prior 2011 Genesis Coupe in 2015 after a deer slammed into it. Coming down a road around midnight traveling at 55mph, it’s all woods, all of the sudden, a huge "crash" into the passenger side of the car... Startled the f'n shit outta me, I pull over (it's pitch black on the road and area), can't see anything, light up my iPhone's flashlight mode and the entire passenger side 1/4 panel right behind the passenger door was caved in, door sheet metal was all rippled and front fender was dented.

Damn thing came straight out of the woods full force, hit and must have rolled down the side of the car.

If I remember correctly, the damage was in excess of $7k. Entire 1/4 panel and door skin had to be replaced with genuine new sheet metal. Rear interior panel on that same side had to be replaced because the force of the hit cracked the panel. Front fender dent was popped out. Entire side of the car was prepped/resprayed and blended where needed. The body shop did an awesome job, could never tell it was mangled or repainted.

Funny thing is, the damage never showed on any 'carfax-like" reports.

Here’s the pics when it was at the body shop getting torn down. You can see how hard it hit the 1/4, kinda see the door ripples, and how they replaced it.
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG

The repair to your GT will be very similar, if not near identical as far as tear down and replacement.

Good luck. Source out a good shop in your area with good reviews. Inspect the car thoroughly once it’s fixed and don’t sign or accept anything unless you’re 100% happy with the end results.
I know it sucks getting hit but I love being able to see what's under the skin.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's no where near totaled, just a little cosmetic damage.

It will be fine OP, just hunt around for the absolute best shop in your area. Ask around, make sure you're taking it to the best place you can find.

w0rmwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
As an adjuster with Progressive myself... I can tell you it’s unlikely it will be totaled. Some great advice already in here so far.

Ford parts are what you want. Usually we don’t skimp on those (last time I repaired d a Mustang, we used OEM parts off the bat and the customer didn’t need have to fight us about it), but one thing I’d suggest is going through your own insurance and choosing their best network shop - in addition to calling the network shop to make sure they’ve got the Ford certified parts you want. Nothing is worse than a) going through another insurance company and not having control or guarantees over your repairs... or going to a non network shop, where your insurance only functions as a bank, and can’t apply pressure to the shop if there are part mishaps and delays.

There’s always a chance our Progressive network shops can drop the ball on something too, but we’re 100% on the hook to address any issues for you. Also always ask your adjuster to email you a copy of the estimate for your records. Just my advice. Good luck!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Man sorry to hear this. Best thing I’ve ever done is put a front and rear dash cam.
This.

Mine went in after I was #2 in a 4 car sandwich. The first 3 of us were stopped in traffic on the highway when the 4th arrived at full speed. Spent a day listening to the 4th car's insurance company insinuating that I had caused it by hitting car #1, causing #3 to hit me, and #4 to hit #3. Finally stopped when my insurance company found out that driver #4 had been cited for driving to endanger.

That one worked out in my favor, but I decided I wasn't going to take the chance of losing the next argument.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Chris28405

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack 1
As a defense attorney going on my 14th year, my best advice to you is to stop dwelling on who’s fault it is and let the insurance company and attorneys work that out. You can argue your point until your face turns blue as to who’s fault it is but there is a whole system in place and your statement or version of the accident is a very singular piece of it. My point to you is that if you are insured, get the car repaired and put this behind you. Even if there lawsuits in the future (hopefully not), your only obligation is to tell the truth and let the rest play out. In the end, you will be fine. The whole reason we have insurance is so that we don’t have to carry both the monetary and legal burden of an accident. Glad you were not hurt and I hope no one was either. Best of luck.
Yessir, you are right. Need to accept responsibility at all times for my own actions. Thankyou for the time and response.

OP
OP

Chris28405

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
My only advice to you is mirroring Cobra Jet. When you pick the car up, take a buddy with a good eye and go over everything on the car for as long as it takes to make sure it looks right. Do not sign/accept any papers before you are completely satisfied.

They will say the work is warrantied if any problems arise, but you have a much better chance of making them fix any issues right before you sign and accept the car back.

It also will help to look at the car in different lighting. If they have it parked inside when you come to inspect, look it over real good inside and then ask them to move it outside. Facing the sun so you can really get a good look at the paint will help a lot.
Thankyou for the advice. I will definitely do that.

OP
OP

Chris28405

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Update. My insurance is Progressive, adjuster contacted me took my statement and asked me to do a photo estimate through the progressive app. Uploaded it with all the pics and info I could. Just received the estimate and I need to look over it some more, but skimming straight to the bottom and the net total comes to $3,400.00. I'm not sure if that's after my deductible or not and I expect it goes up even a couple thousand dollars more. Seems like a $6k -$7k job to me. Thankyou everyone for all of the information you shared. I was just worried I would lose my car. If anyone is interested in updates and pictures I will keep posting. Appreciate you all

CycloneRy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
They'll fix it. I had lighter but similar damage to my car fixed by the dealer bodyshop in February. Rear quarter (pulled, not re-skinned at my request) and new door, repaint from bumper to bumper was $4500. Magnetic paint I believe is a tri-coat process so maybe you'll be in the same ballpark.
Sponsored