Sponsored

Tires - Michelin Pilot Super Sports (305/325) GOOD PRICE!!

jb86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Can the Michelin Pilot Sports 305s fit on the R rear wheels? I was able to buy 6 of them for $561 total, the 325s weren't available.
If not I will buy two! Was this an online price or local?
Sponsored

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
This article explains the effects of a wide tire on narrow wheel and vice versa. Makes sense why Ford sized the wheels and bespoke PSS & PSC2 the way they did, to maximize the response, feeling, and performance of the tire:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx
For sure, and I agree with that no doubt. My comments were primarily aimed at what can actually fit as opposed to what is best for steering feel. I just got my 325's mounted two days ago, and could immediately tell a huge difference between the super sports and the cup 2's.

Steering effort is actually considerably lighter than before, which I attribute to the less aggressive compound and smaller surface area contacting the road compared to the nearly slick like surface of the Cup 2's.

Team lining is essentially non existent at highway speeds, which I attribute to the same reasons above. Highway driving is now actually stress free and much more relaxing now that the car doesn't dart and pull all over the place.

In terms of steering feel, I definitely sense that I lost a measure of precision, and with the 325's on the front wheels, I believe I can notice a bit of flex as the tires load up into a corner. That the car turns, loads up the tire, but then the sidewall is flexing some to add to the overall softer feeling compared to the Cup 2's.

I will almost certainly return to a 305/315 setup when it comes time to replace these, provided that the PS4S come in a 315 sizing. If not, a 305/325 sizing will suffice. I really only went 325 square as the deal was far too good to pass up, and I knew that I would have no inherent issues with the figment. Considering it is a street car (no track here), I know I won't be overly bothered by the differences in feel.

Ultimately no matter what other tire I go with none will be able to provide the same level of feel and precision as the Cup 2's. So the tire sizing certainly helps exaggerate that difference slightly on the front, but it was bound to be very different regardless moving from a near slick R compound tire to a very street friendly Super Sport. I think the compound and aggressiveness of the Cup 2's though contributed more to the difference in steering feel than that of the wider tires though.

Now for some pics, and I included one of the Cup 2's to show street wear after a little under 5000miles (7400ish kms). I don't like the extra poke from the rear, but it doesn't rub or hit in any way. May go about trying to to maximize rear camber to tuck that in a little bit, we'll see.

Apparently all my pics are too big... can't upload from a phone lol pics will have to wait!

TheKosherStogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2
After all this reading back and forth man is it difficult to pick a tire for DD. I'm so confused and torn. Wish they just makes PSS/PS4S in our OEM sizing

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Billy Johnson recommends 295/305 on the PS4S for GT350 owners. "295/305 PS$S (with its 11.1"/11.5" tread widths) is a better fitment for steering response and handling than the 305/325 (11.5"/12.2" trad width)"

Sponsored

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Billy Johnson recommends 295/305 on the PS4S for GT350 owners. "295/305 PS$S (with its 11.1"/11.5" tread widths) is a better fitment for steering response and handling than the 305/325 (11.5"/12.2" trad width)"
When I go to get another set, no way will I run 295/30 series tires up front... don't need the car any lower up there than it is already! Will run a 305 up front primarily to keep ride height, the minute differences in steering will be unnoticeable for me on the street.

I do agree with the assessment on width though in regards to maintaining steering feel and precision.

The 325's I just put on have 12.1" up front and back, and honestly while I do notice a difference as outlined above, I think more of it is due to major difference in tire compound/tread design rather than slop in the tire sidewall. Don't look bad at all in person either! If only I could upload pics :(

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
When I go to get another set, no way will I run 295/30 series tires up front... don't need the car any lower up there than it is already! Will run a 305 up front primarily to keep ride height, the minute differences in steering will be unnoticeable for me on the street.

I do agree with the assessment on width though in regards to maintaining steering feel and precision.

The 325's I just put on have 12.1" up front and back, and honestly while I do notice a difference as outlined above, I think more of it is due to major difference in tire compound/tread design rather than slop in the tire sidewall. Don't look bad at all in person either! If only I could upload pics :(
Good point! There is .2, front and a .3 rear less in diameter.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
So the car will sit 0.1" lower in the front and 0.15" lower in the rear. Damn, that should make it bottom out everywhere! :lol:

..you could make the argument (and easily do that math to verify) that the 0.05" less rake in the car could actually give you more splitter clearance despite sitting 0.1" lower in the front.

J_Maher_AMG raised his front ride height 0.2" from a stock R by going with the 325/30 front tire. That will be the most clearance you can get short of going to a 295/35 front.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
So the car will sit 0.1" lower in the front and 0.15" lower in the rear. Damn, that should make it bottom out everywhere! :lol:

..you could make the argument (and easily do that math to verify) that the 0.05" less rake in the car could actually give you more splitter clearance despite sitting 0.1" lower in the front.

J_Maher_AMG raised his front ride height 0.2" from a stock R by going with the 325/30 front tire. That will be the most clearance you can get short of going to a 295/35 front.
????? .20 is a little less than quarter inch and .30 is more than quarter inch

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

You guys can be sarcastic all you like, the bottom of my splitter has already taken a beating, and I've no intention of lowering it 0.00000001" lower than it came to increase steering feel or precision by an insignificant margin when considering the useage of the vehicle.

As I mentioned, I'll be going back to a 305/315 or 305/325 after this set is worn out, it was purchased based on the deal I found. Minor differences in steering feel wasn't worth $600 US considering there are no tracks here.

Anyyyywhoo, this thread was to help some people get a good price on tires that were on clearance.

try714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby gt350
I need a set of 4tires, , any member have a link for tires?