Tired of not getting traction......

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
I've got a 2020 base gt with 301a package and 10 speed trans.
I have 19x10 forgestars on the rear with Michelin pilot super sports in 285/40r19.
Factory springs and shocks NOT gonna lower it. Been there done that and hated it.
Cb005 from BMR because it tried to kill me shifting at 60 or so and getting violently sideways.
So it doesn't do THAT anymore, but I'm tired of punching it from a red light and just spinning half the time.
I want traction and I want it NOW GODDAMNIT. šŸ˜
So, I'm looking at 20x11 forgestars for the rear only.
Yeah, I know. Don't care. 19f 20r won't be noticable to most.
My question is, nitto 555r2's OR Goodyear F1 supercar 3 for the rear in 305 35r20?
Anyone with experience with either, or both, please chime in.
Oh, I'll keep the rears I have now for winter if necessary. However in central Texas we rarely see below freezing.
And I have a beater for when it rains, so unless I get caught, that's not a huge factor.
I mainly want GOOD STRAIGHT LINE traction on the street. Car isn't tracked at all.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would think you want smaller rims like an 18 or stay with 19s rather than going to 20s to get a little more sidewall and reduce the shock on the tire when you try to launch.

Yes an 11 inch wide rim should help over a 10.

I can't comment on those tires, but I would think you want something with much less than 200 tread wear rating. Cup 2 Rs or Supercar 3Rs rather than the Supercar 3s.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Get some cheap 19x11's and some 305/35/19 drag radials

OP
OP
Coyote 2121

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Well the problem with 19 inch 305 35s is the wheel gap issue. Not lowering another mustang under any circumstances.
Not to mention the fronts being taller than the rears. 275/40 19 up front. Would not be a good look.
I also read that the foot print is larger with a 20 over a 19, taller tire and all that.
Plus it'll reduce the torque factor a little. Which should help.
I had a nitto 555r2 delivered today and it's a full 12 inches wide. The Michelin on there now is 11.25.
And the side wall is almost the same as the 285/40 19 on there now.
So that should help with the shock over a 35 series 19 tire.
But I'm thinking the Goodyear might last a little longer.
Car is bone stock engine wise.
Don't need more HP, need more traction first.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Just put on some nitto nt555r2s. They do good. I have a fbo cammed mustang and I could easily blow off my 305-width super sports. Now I hook. They also seem to do okay in light rain (haven't had heavy rain yet). To be fair I have a stock converter and high gear ratio so I can't launch hard, your car even if stock will probably be able to out 60' my car. So take that as it is.

So yes nitto nt555r2 would be a good option. More sidewall will mean more traction so I would get a 17/18" rim for the rear and put on a big sidewall tire. You want your tire to be 305w+.

The MT Street series should perform better than the nitto nt555r2 but they will probably wear a bit faster, be less stable at high speeds, are more expensive, and I have heard they are terrible in the rain.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
No tire will hook unless its good and HOT. You're never going to achieve that driving on streets.

I second the move.to 18 or 17 dia and as much sidewall as.you can muster.
Not really...
If your tires can't hook after driving for a bit on a hot day then you need a different compound. Even if they will hook after you do a nice big burnout, you don't want to do that just to be able to launch at the light.

The solution is to get a drag radial that's meant to hook, not last a long time.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Well the problem with 19 inch 305 35s is the wheel gap issue. Not lowering another mustang under any circumstances.
Not to mention the fronts being taller than the rears. 275/40 19 up front. Would not be a good look.
I also read that the foot print is larger with a 20 over a 19, taller tire and all that.
Plus it'll reduce the torque factor a little. Which should help.
I had a nitto 555r2 delivered today and it's a full 12 inches wide. The Michelin on there now is 11.25.
And the side wall is almost the same as the 285/40 19 on there now.
So that should help with the shock over a 35 series 19 tire.
But I'm thinking the Goodyear might last a little longer.
Car is bone stock engine wise.
Don't need more HP, need more traction first.
Yep the nt555r2s run wider than the super sports even for the same width rating. Noticeable difference when I switched mine.

Also what are the reasons you don't want to lower the car? What were the last springs you did?

I got the bmr drag springs and they lowered the car the perfect amount, allow some extra weight transfer to the rear, and aren't uncomfortable (at least for me). I have ridden in friends cars with different lower-lowering springs and the ride was really bad.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Coyote 2121

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Last Mustang was a 2005 gt with only 28k when I bought it used. Guy had ebich pro kit springs.
Rode like ass.
I finally added some Bilstein shocks and struts and that helped. But the struts seems to raise the front a bit.
Got Bilsteins for the rear of this one, but haven't put them on yet.
I just don't want to ruin the ride. Plus I live out in the country and there's road kill everywhere.
Possums, coons, porky pines. Shit, I'd be replacing the front splitter all the time.
Plus the taller tires fill the wheel gap well enough.
So you've used the nitto 555r2's?
How'd they do on the street?
I've read they do better on the street than the track?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Last Mustang was a 2005 gt with only 28k when I bought it used. Guy had ebich pro kit springs.
Rode like ass.
I finally added some Bilstein shocks and struts and that helped. But the struts seems to raise the front a bit.
Got Bilsteins for the rear of this one, but haven't put them on yet.
I just don't want to ruin the ride. Plus I live out in the country and there's road kill everywhere.
Possums, coons, porky pines. Shit, I'd be replacing the front splitter all the time.
Plus the taller tires fill the wheel gap well enough.
So you've used the nitto 555r2's?
How'd they do on the street?
I've read they do better on the street than the track?
Well if you don't have magnaride and ever change your mind look into the bmr drag springs, also heard good things about the steeda drag springs.

And yes I have the nt555r2s right now. They hook good and handle good. Seems to handle high speed fine too (170+). As I mentioned your car might launch a little harder than mine so I can't definitely say that they won't spin but I think you will hook good.

OP
OP
Coyote 2121

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Well if you don't have magnaride and ever change your mind look into the bmr drag springs, also heard good things about the steeda drag springs.

And yes I have the nt555r2s right now. They hook good and handle good. Seems to handle high speed fine too (170+). As I mentioned your car might launch a little harder than mine so I can't definitely say that they won't spin but I think you will hook good.
Good enough. Thanks man.
I'll keep this one and get one more and call it a day.
They look like they'll hook. Cheaper than the Goodyear's by 160 bucks per tire too.
So I've heard the weight transfer helps a lot.
How low are the drag springs?
And they're only for the rear?
Or are there fronts to help out also?
Do they just allow the rear end to squat when you launch?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
So I've heard the weight transfer helps a lot.
How low are the drag springs?
And they're only for the rear?
Or are there fronts to help out also?
Do they just allow the rear end to squat when you launch?
Not sure how much the weight transfer helps but thatā€™s the idea.

And I can send you photos tomorrow with my current setup. They lower the rear more than the fronts which gives it a nice look imo. Itā€™s not a drastic amount and its a ā€œmildā€ lowering spring in terms of drop. It makes the tires fill up the wheel well and gives it a really nice look.

Still tall enough for the car to go over speed bumps. My roads are pretty nice but Iā€™ve never had issues with it being too low or rough or scraping.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
wait how are you stock power and having grip issues? I'm on E85 and 265/35/19's continental extremecontact dws06+ and no traction problems (and no suspension mods other than FRPP lowering springs)
Sponsored