Tire question here because FI.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I need opinions on which rear tires and in what size, to go with. The power level I am currently at, my rear tires are an issue. I believe I currently am north of 700whp and with traction control off, it is a serious challenge keeping it straight. I just got a set of Forgestar D5 beadlocks in a 17x10 inch size. I am going to tune this car on ethanol and be north of 850. I know I am asking a lot and I know there are compromises to be made, but I need to have traction in dry weather but I drive the car in the rain too. I drive it 20k+ a year and realize I may need to buy new tires once or twice a year, and I am okay with that. I don't want Street R's because they are horrible in the rain. Should I get Toyo 888R's, Nitto NT05R's or Mickey Thompson SS's? I'm leaning towards the 888's because they seem to have the deepest tread, and be the best compromise, but I am certainly open to people's opinions based on their experiences.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So why the need for bead locks on a radial tire ?
Bias ply for sure need bead locks, and only if your really making big boy power.
7164184bf63088c42087214ebd6d41a5.jpg

But since you say you drive in the rain too, all the good really sticky
radials suck in the rain.

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So why the need for bead locks on a radial tire ?
Bias ply for sure need bead locks, and only if your really making big boy power.
7164184bf63088c42087214ebd6d41a5.jpg

But since you say you drive in the rain too, all the good really sticky
radials suck in the rain.
I got the bead locks on a good deal. Wasn't necessarily looking for them, came across a nice set at a nice price. They won't hurt anything to use them.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I’ve had good luck with the NItto 555RII drag radials. Caught in the rain a few times and they did fine. Second gear still struggles, but third gear is mostly usable. Cold roads they are like ice skates, they really need some heat.

The Mickey ET Street SS are good too. I ran them on my old car (way less power), but they did not last long at all.

I’ll probably buy the Nitto’s again when this set wears out.

Sponsored

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Nitto 555Rs are fine in the rain, but when they wear out, and they wear out quick. They're dangerous to drive in weather. Like you said, going to have to compromise something. I say buy a beater car and make that your daily. Lol
Never owned the Toyos but people seem to like them and I've read they last a bit longer depending on how many burnouts you want to do.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don’t have experience with the Nitto R2’s but seems a lot of folks like them. I’ve seen a boosted S197 hydroplane on brand new R888R’s in light to medium rain, so I’d be careful if you go that route.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
555r2.
Nitto 555Rs are fine in the rain, but when they wear out, and they wear out quick. They're dangerous to drive in weather. Like you said, going to have to compromise something. I say buy a beater car and make that your daily. Lol
Never owned the Toyos but people seem to like them and I've read they last a bit longer depending on how many burnouts you want to do.
To be clear, you are referring the the 555R which is no longer made? Or the 555R2 which is a completely different tire

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
555r2.

To be clear, you are referring the the 555R which is no longer made? Or the 555R2 which is a completely different tire
I am referring to the R2, sorry. The R is basically the same tire, with a softer sidewall. Both wear just as fast. Same tread pattern. I've owned both here in Florida. With a few burnouts after about 11 months they're toast.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am referring to the R2, sorry. The R is basically the same tire, with a softer sidewall. Both wear just as fast. Same tread pattern. I've owned both here in Florida. With a few burnouts after about 11 months they're toast.
I think you may have gotten duped if you got 2 tires with the same tread pattern and one of them was sold as an r2

Sponsored

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I think you may have gotten duped if you got 2 tires with the same tread pattern and one of them was sold as an r2
Lol wut? That's not what I said. I said I have owned both. They're similar. Basically the same tread pattern. I didn't say I bought one and was sold the other. Not sure how you got that out of what I said. Here I'll try to make it easier to understand what I meant. In 2014 I owned a pair of R's on my cobra. Lasted around 15k miles in about a year before they became dangerous to drive around in during a thunderstorm. I recently just replaced a pair of R2s, that also lasted about the same time/mileage which also were not fun to drive in the rain. Hope this helps.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Probably because that's exactly what you said

"The R is basically the same tire, with a softer sidewall. Both wear just as fast. Same tread pattern."

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Probably because that's exactly what you said

"The R is basically the same tire, with a softer sidewall. Both wear just as fast. Same tread pattern."
Am I wrong? One is more or less for drag racing the other is more or less for the track. That's my experience with them and what I know of them. Either way it answers the OPs question about them in the rain. Not sure why you're so mad. Share your expertise if it can help OP decide. Looking forward to it.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Am I wrong? One is more or less for drag racing the other is more or less for the track. That's my experience with them and what I know of them. Either way it answers the OPs question about them in the rain. Not sure why you're so mad. Share your expertise if it can help OP decide. Looking forward to it.
I don't understand what you're saying, the r2 is an updated r, they are both drag radials for the same purpose

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I think we are confusing 555r (old drag radial), 555rII (current drag radial), and 555 g2 (current summer tire with tread pattern to match rII).
Sponsored