Sponsored

Tire Discounters scratched my rim

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
I’m not sure the pizza/doughnut schmooze effect would be successful with a medical professional since their getting your co-pay either way if you wake up damaged or not.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure the pizza/doughnut schmooze effect would be successful with a medical professional since their getting your co-pay either way if you wake up damaged or not.
200,000/yr people DIE from hospital acquired infection and preventable errors.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Yup, lesson learned. I don't mean to harp on you or kick a man when he's down, but this is the best way to learn. Just for reference, I spend just over $200 mounting my tires which was on the high side but when doing it once every couple years it's not worth it to save a few bux.

200 dollars just to mount tires is absurd. OP got a lazy tech but more often than not you aren't going to have problems at a chain tire shop.

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
200 dollars just to mount tires is absurd. OP got a lazy tech but more often than not you aren't going to have problems at a chain tire shop.
Agreed. Normally I avoid chains like the plague. Got f'ed real hard at AAMCO transmissions on Northern Boulevard in Bayside, NY when I was younger and driving a beater.

I generally have gone to the dealer since then (not that they don't have their quirks). However, 1) since Ford doesn't make tires, 2) since they don't make much on mounting or balancing, and 3) since the internet most people aren't going to pay a dealer premium for a given tire, I've learned that tires are a low priority at dealerships.

I have found that you're actually better off going to a tire place. I go to GoodYear. I also have them do the wheel alignments. That way, if/when there is a problem with the tire, they can't blame "the tire manufacturer" or "the installer" or "your alignment must be off." It's all the same place so they only can look at themselves. Seems to have worked out well so far.

Sponsored

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
When my new Mach 1 was being built I ordered 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires to replace the Sport Cup 2s. I had the swap out done at the Dealership, no scratches, no marks, no jiz leaking out, best of all no charge. I did grease the Sales Managers palm beforehand but I have dealt with them for about 10 years. I have total trust in their work ethic, best part after 2 Shelby's and now the Mach 1 they have never let me down. LESSON: stick with who you know.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Tire wise - I've become a Discount Tire fan. The two shops near me literally treat my vehicles like it's their own. One of the shops has two guys who own Mustangs. First time I showed up - the one guy comes out and says "Would you mind pulling your car into the bay? I know I wouldn't want someone I didn't know driving my Mustang."

They do little things that tend to get my business...cleaning the mounting face of the rotor / drum, cleaning studs if they need it, using torque sticks on the impact and doing final torque to factory torque with a torque wrench.

They also give a military and law enforcement discount and they will match any legit price on any tire / wheel they can order - without a lot of grief.

Just have to find a shop and build a relationship. More cost doesn't always equal quality or good service. There is a highly recommended shop nearby that deals with high end cars. A family friend (not really a car guy) recently bought his dream car......a C7 Corvette. He went to get new tires and took it to this "Highly recommended" place. When he told me how much the estimate was to do the tires - AND it would take 3 days, I told him to go pick it up and take it to Discount Tire. The Vette had an additional 15 miles on it. After sitting there for a day and nothing done to it. The ONLY reason the guy noticed? When the shop came out to get the mileage, he realized it was identical to his street address.

I was with him when he picked it up. He mentioned the odometer reading to me. I said something to their "manager" he got an attitude. Said no one drives the cars unless they are road testing a repair. I asked him to check the odometer reading they recorded when the car was brought in. He did. Then he checked the current reading.

You should have seen his face. "I guess they made a mistake when they wrote it down."

Yeah okay. Then goes on to tell me how the tires from Discount Tire would be "cheap" versions of the tire the Corvette should get. (Same exact brand model they were going to sell him for almost TWICE the price). I laughed at him.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
To think a simple box of donuts could save your life. Hilariously true.
When I bring my Mustang in for any work, I always bring along a box of Dunkin donuts. Keeping the guy who is working directly on my Mustang happy, is always good to do.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Ya that sucks. I always buy my tires at Tirerackcom and have them shipped to one of their local accredited tire shops to have them installed, never had a problem. Don't care for Tire Discounters either.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
We now have a "Discount Tire" here in Beaufort and I had them mount all new tires on my Black Powder coated wheels....the manager said NO PROBLEMO and he was right, they did a perfect job and I'm quite pleased!! :thumbsup: :)

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
If you want it done right, do it yourself. If you can't, suck it up, buttercup.

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
Sorry to here that, hope you get them replaced.
I had the same trouble, took mine off my new GT350 with 400 mi. Wanted to get rid of
the cup 2s. Took them to local Ford dealer to change the tires, I mentioned to the SM what
they was off of and could they do it without damage, he assured me that I could have not
brought them to a better place. Well like you after I washed them they looked like yours does.
But I did think to take pictures, they did replace them. But without the pictures I don't
think they would have, because he said the same thing, our tire machine couldn't do that.

Graemecdn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2018 Lexus RC 350
Sorry for all you guys that had rim damage when getting tires installed or changed. This thread will certainly help me. Pictures for me from now on. Thanks guys!
Sponsored