Sponsored

Tire Discounters scratched my rim

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just got back from dealing with Tire Discounters.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by the way they clamped your wheel to the machine. Using the inside of the barrel instead of clamping on the lip, they don't know what they are doing.

Matthewneedforgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1
I had this happen a few years ago, now I talk to the manager before hand and do pictures with them before the work and explain I am protecting both of us. Never had one say no.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would take a guess that those scratches on the face are from when the wheel has been clamped on the machine, the old tyre is off and the new tyre is stood on top of the wheel whilst being dragged / rotated as the lube is applied to the tyre bead - I have watched (U.K.) tyre fitters do it ... :frown:

WD :like:

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
yo. im calling the national guard.

what the f did they do to your rim man?

JESUS

*edited for bad word

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
dealing with Tire Discounters
Stopped reading at discounters. Unfortunately you cheapened out on this work and you got what you paid for. These places are for people mounting tires on basic wheels who don't care what happens as long as it's the cheapest price around.

Next time, take it to a proper wheel or tire shop that take pride in their work.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
$76 to mount and balance. I went there because it’s close to the house. It was more lazy than cheap.
Yup, lesson learned. I don't mean to harp on you or kick a man when he's down, but this is the best way to learn. Just for reference, I spend just over $200 mounting my tires which was on the high side but when doing it once every couple years it's not worth it to save a few bux.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Using the inside of the barrel instead of clamping on the lip, they don't know what they are doing.
or it's their machine. Using the 'teeth' to grab a steel rim is no biggie. painted aluminum it's a bad idea.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
When I need tires for the Mustang, I'm going to the dealer, take the service writer around the car, show no scratches on the wheels, and tell him if they scratch a wheel, they can go right to the parts department and order a new wheel.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
When I need tires for the Mustang, I'm going to the dealer, take the service writer around the car, show no scratches on the wheels, and tell him if they scratch a wheel, they can go right to the parts department and order a new wheel.
And most places will tell you to take a hike at that point. Not necessarily because they will scratch your wheels, but because they probably don't want the hassle of such a customer especially for such a menial task. I don't think mounting tires is the service department's cash cow, so for a few dollars in profit it's not worth it.

And if you do find a dealer that will do the work for you, hang on to them for dear life cuz they are a trustworthy and honest place.

Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
And most places will tell you to take a hike at that point. Not necessarily because they will scratch your wheels, but because they probably don't want the hassle of such a customer especially for such a menial task. I don't think mounting tires is the service department's cash cow, so for a few dollars in profit it's not worth it.

And if you do find a dealer that will do the work for you, hang on to them for dear life cuz they are a trustworthy and honest place.
Yup, it's all about finding a good dealer and, they are out there. The one that accepts that you want the work done competently, like you said, is a keeper.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I generally say nothing and take pics/video in a conspicuous way when I drop off.

Lesson learned.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Stopped reading at discounters.
I had 'well known pro tires shops' damage rims. So now I take all my tires to this ma & pa shop with a 20 year old tire machine that doesn't leave a mark. Drop off in the morning, pick up 6 hours later. 20 bucks per tire & a couple cups of coffee for them, done.