Sponsored

Timing Sprocket Issues on 15?????

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
From what I gather, both this and opg's, it's more about higher rpm than power. Just happens the big power guys are also spinning up higher. Terry could confirm or debunk, but that's what I understood when investigating.

So, what I understand, a vortech making 650 at 7800 has a greater chance of busting than a roush at 650 at 7100.
Sponsored

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
OPGs are easier to understand, as they have to mesh. Any deflection or flex in the crankshaft and oil pump housing and those gears are going to smash together. They are also pumping a fluid that cannot be compressed.

Timing gear though, quite a bit different in my thoughts. Meshing with a chain gives it room for slop and deflection without binding.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OPGs are easier to understand, as they have to mesh. Any deflection or flex in the crankshaft and oil pump housing and those gears are going to smash together. They are also pumping a fluid that cannot be compressed.

Timing gear though, quite a bit different in my thoughts. Meshing with a chain gives it room for slop and deflection without binding.

Correct but, figure it's torque backwards. Torque is a result of the weight of rotating mass. So rotating mass takes torque to spin it. The faster it has to spin, the more torque it takes to do it. So all the energy to spin all the weight of the cams and chains and the friction of all the parts rubbing together with the oil layer result in energy that has to be transferred through that sprocket. Now picture how much surface area that energy must be transferred through. A very very small contact patch. That's a lot of force on those little teeth and as RPMs go up, the energy goes up a lot.

Same reason for swapping to double roller chains on the old cam in block motors. You effectively double the contact area and half they force on the teeth.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I'm not sure why you quoted me and started with "but" since you're not responsive to nor misaligned with my quoted post.

Youre just talking about valvetrain acceleration which is what I had already pointed out as a factor in my first post on the topic... But you haven't expanded into how HP factors in greatly.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure why you quoted me and started with "but" since you're not responsive to nor misaligned with my quoted post.

Youre just talking about valvetrain acceleration which is what I had already pointed out as a factor in my first post on the topic... But you haven't expanded into how HP factors in greatly.

Check my post before that one. I explained that it's not hp as much as rpm, but the big hp guys typically spin them higher.

Read all posts, sport.

And yes I said but. I should have been clearer. Your opg's idea is correct but your valve chain sprocket may not be.

I want to say again, like my post a ways back, I'm no engineer not full time car dude. Just a mechanically inclined dude who did some research and asked the people are supposedly the experts

I've done 3 roush cars now 11-14 (mechanical part, didn't tune them). All did 585+ at the wheels and stayed below 7200 rpm and none had a problem. 36k miles on my own with it. One sold his and the buyer put opg's in it, then blew it up anyway. Not sure of problem. One, I put back stock. Mine is still going as a music teachers daily driver. She drives all over the state in it. I never did opg's and new owner didn't (I discussed with him) and he has same findings. Keep rpms reasonable and there's less chance of a problem at the expense of not garnering every single horsepower.

Sponsored

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Limited Edition 5.0L V-8
Check my post before that one. I explained that it's not hp as much as rpm, but the big hp guys typically spin them higher.

Read all posts, sport.

And yes I said but. I should have been clearer. Your opg's idea is correct but your valve chain sprocket may not be.

I want to say again, like my post a ways back, I'm no engineer not full time car dude. Just a mechanically inclined dude who did some research and asked the people are supposedly the experts.
Well said Joey, very accurate and p.c. [emoji2]

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well said Joey, very accurate and p.c. [emoji2]

Lol thanks.

Fwiw, the one that spit a piston out, I think he brought it to a local "tooner" who I wouldn't trust with my girlfriends new Hyundai. Pretty sure he turned off the knock sensors but not positive.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Read all posts, sport.
No need to get fresh, champ. I just wasnt understanding why the post was directed towards me as if it was some sort of schooling when it was simply expanding on what I had already pointed out. That's all.

Experience and wisdom in an "expert" rarely represents an understanding. That's why I question the cause before jumping on the remedy.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to get fresh, champ. I just wasnt understanding why the post was directed towards me as if it was some sort of schooling when it was simply expanding on what I had already pointed out. That's all.

Experience and wisdom in an "expert" rarely represents an understanding. That's why I question the cause before jumping on the remedy.

Haha. I like your response!

I have no doubt that they may be one of the first weak links here but I don't think they are a widespread problems. We would be seeing many here and svtoerformance. People would be screaming bloody murder and jumping up and down in every message board possible when their warranty was denied due to mods. We've seen widespread problems on 03 cobra (tic, vibe and clunk), and less widespread but still well known problems (#8 issues on tuned, oftentimes improperly, 11's by the time they where out this long).

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get stronger ones. Just saying it's less probable to see failure at lower power levels and especially lower rpm levels. At least that's what I've learned anyway. Cheap insurance if you can wrench it yourself.

It wasn't schooling. Just clearing up the point you had a question about. Which I had touched on.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I am trying to talk myself into feeling comfortable about not doing it for a little while yet :)

Sponsored

TwinTurboMustang.net

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm taking my chances.....without it. I have faith the motor will be fine.

D3adch1ld

Blabber Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premum w/ Performance Pack
I'm taking my chances.....without it. I have faith the motor will be fine.
How's the car holding up so far Noah. Havent seen more of the videos.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
Really? Why on earth wouldnt you replace it while your doing opg? Its no biggy. Its just time and energy.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
300 bucks for a crank sprocket ,holy crap...
Not sure why ford did not just use a forged model or just a larger
piece to begin with .

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
300 bucks for a crank sprocket ,holy crap...
Not sure why ford did not just use a forged model or just a larger
piece to begin with .
Because it'll never fail at stock power levels?
Sponsored