Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
This was my situation. 2k RPM rattle even when warmed up. No tick though. Took it in, dealer found metal throughout the motor and a lot of internal damage. Replaced the engine and the second one had the 2k RPM rattle and the tick.
What does the ratlle sound like. If I'm driving and holding at 2k, I hear what could be described as a rattle, but I'm pretty sure it's the transmission.
Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
This was my situation. 2k RPM rattle even when warmed up. No tick though. Took it in, dealer found metal throughout the motor and a lot of internal damage. Replaced the engine and the second one had the 2k RPM rattle and the tick.
I’ve got all the requisite ticks, rattles, and booms.

But, until there’s a real fix, I’m driving it.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What does the ratlle sound like. If I'm driving and holding at 2k, I hear what could be described as a rattle, but I'm pretty sure it's the transmission.
Auto or manual?

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It sounds like the videos below. It's not the transmission, it's the engine.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nder-damage-pics-ford-buyback-process.102509/

I’ve got all the requisite ticks, rattles, and booms.

But, until there’s a real fix, I’m driving it.
That's one option. I figured:

1. I didn't want to wait for a fix which may never come.
2. I didn't want to risk getting stuck with a car with a potential power-train design flaw beyond the lemon law time-frame and even worse beyond the warranty period.
3. It's best to utilize the lemon law option now while I still can and dump the car back into Ford's lap with a minimal financial loss.

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
Yeah mine is a10. Sounds nothing like that.

Sponsored

twiggr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2015 Mustang GT
I had "the tick" in my '15 GT. After the dealer said he couldn't hear it, and warranty was running out I traded it. Last of my seven Mustangs.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
It sounds like the videos below. It's not the transmission, it's the engine.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nder-damage-pics-ford-buyback-process.102509/

That's one option. I figured:

1. I didn't want to wait for a fix which may never come.
2. I didn't want to risk getting stuck with a car with a potential power-train design flaw beyond the lemon law time-frame and even worse beyond the warranty period.
3. It's best to utilize the lemon law option now while I still can and dump the car back into Ford's lap with a minimal financial loss.
Yeah, I'm trying to factor everything in to make a determination of what to do, ultimately.

I'm going by the dealer this week to make them aware that I have both of these issues that appear, sadly, to be more common by the day.

My hope (hope is not a strategy) is that Ford will figure it out and be able to offer an actual fix, not the series of lame bandaids we've read about here and most of which have not fixed anything. I just saw a YouTube video last night where the guy had a brand new crate engine installed in his '18 and it's worse than the original one. I'm not going to have the car repeatedly torn apart until and unless there is an actual fix. So far, even with the noises, it's not using a drop of oil, (he said, crossing his fingers).

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
I wonder if the oil is shearing and for whatever reason "fixing" (Masking?) the BBQ Tick? I would have thought it was the opposite way. Are you using stock 5w-20? If not, and are running something heavier such as 5w-50, I have to wonder if you filled it with 5w-20 new and that might stop the noise immediately since it would be closer to a sheared 50wt oil.
i just changed the oil again to 5w20 MC and no tick.. My first oil change is when the tick was random. Now I have not heard the tick in months...im telling u its weird how this engine works. My next oil change will be Amsoil 5w30 in the spring.

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
I am intrigued with the 18+ coyote engine rattle that it appears to lead to the cylinder bore scoring. I am not new to mustangs since I've had owned 5 of different years. The latest, went back to a 93 GT, but I had a 11 mustang gt that developed the engine tick at around 9k miles. It drove me nuts and although I know some people have had the engine tick and nothing ever got worse, I still couldn't stand it and traded the car in. The tick was not the only problem but that's another topic. Now I own a 16 F150 5.0 too and haven't had any noises or absolutely no problems with it and it's about to turn 30k miles.
So where does the engine problem lies? Is it Quality Assurance? Does Ford knows about this issues and it finds it acceptable? Does the budget won't allow a massive recall or retooling of the plasma liners machine?
I truly want or wanted an 18+ mustang gt with the A10, but considering all the issues, I cannot bring myself to buy into a possible annoyance or headache. I've dealt with the Ford dealers and I cannot stand them. I would love if the conversation continues and stay civil and possibly Ford finds an answer which they may already have and gets public with it.
I have a truly bad feeling the '20 GT500 is going to be more of the same. I've already heard some rumors, and so far they have appeared to be true.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my verdict is in. New short block ordered, up to 3 weeks. Scoring in cylinders, pics on the way. He said that Ford is definitely aware that there is an issue with some engines. When I told him that at this point it just seems like a "hope this one doesn't rattle" fix, he agreed and said Ford needs to get their engineering on a real fix.

Sponsored

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
I went to a well known performance shop that specializes in late model fords and was told that they have a customer who owns an '18 model and it's on the 3rd engine replacement!! The third engine already started making funny noises too with less than 100 miles!
I won't mention the name of the shop, but I don't think they have anything to gain when they mentioned to me. I just casually brought the conversation after being told they had recently tuned a couple of 18s. They even told me certain things about the GT500 prior to the unveil that very few people knew and they were on point. I think I know why no power figures have been divulged.
I would really love to have an '18+ 5.0 matted to the A10, but everywhere I look reminds me why I need to wait instead of buying into an annoyance.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm betting the new GT500 will also have plasma coated cylinders ... Hummm. :bandit:

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my verdict is in. New short block ordered, up to 3 weeks. Scoring in cylinders, pics on the way. He said that Ford is definitely aware that there is an issue with some engines. When I told him that at this point it just seems like a "hope this one doesn't rattle" fix, he agreed and said Ford needs to get their engineering on a real fix.
Pic added:
16005.jpeg

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Still nothing explains:

a) the tick is sort of an on/off thing.

yesterday on old oil you didn"'t have it and next day on new oil you have it.

it's not developing from nonexistence to very quiet tick and then it gets louder and louder. Instead it is instantly on and it's sound and level is almost permanent.

(a) alone can easily be explained by the fact that engine assembly requires particular greases, lubricants, etc. that are contained in oroginal oil (or xl-17?) that are flushed out with oil change.

but then there's

b) its intermittent. Besides coyote bbq tick all abnormal engine sounds at youtube at all other engines be that bearing or piston slap are rhythmic sounds.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Still nothing explains:

a) the tick is sort of an on/off thing.

yesterday on old oil you didn"'t have it and next day on new oil you have it.

it's not developing from nonexistence to very quiet tick and then it gets louder and louder. Instead it is instantly on and it's sound and level is almost permanent.

(a) alone can easily be explained by the fact that engine assembly requires particular greases, lubricants, etc. that are contained in oroginal oil (or xl-17?) that are flushed out with oil change.

but then there's

b) its intermittent. Besides coyote bbq tick all abnormal engine sounds at youtube at all other engines be that bearing or piston slap are rhythmic sounds.
Who are you talking to?
Sponsored