Sponsored

The Tri bar LED / Sequential Indicator Sticky thread!

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
Time to order one then and take a dremel to it... I'm sure I can come up with something that's cheaper / easier than sending them to Poland
Good man :thumbsup:

Hopfully you can get it truly plug and play. The thought of cutting into cabling scares me. I'm an electronics engineer, but I'm not touching mustang wiring!
Sponsored

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Hopfully you can get it truly plug and play. The thought of cutting into cabling scares me. I'm an electronics engineer, but I'm not touching mustang wiring!
Is really easy, I didn't cut into any wiring, I cut the wires on light,Mao no wiring was harmed :)

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 GT Custom Pack
As it happens I was looking at the same thing... probably save me 50 quid over a UK one. I'm just wondering if a UK one is different internally because we've got amber indicators and the US ones just flash red so it might be worth me paying the extra to get the model of lights that actually needs modifying...

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)

That would be the plan, if I can make a controller small enough to fit inside the existing lighting housing it can be essentially 100% plug and play.

My idea so far is to most likely add the extra amber leds and control them via either a purely hardware controller ( 555 timer etc ) or via something more complex (configurable!) like a very small micro controller.

Either way the priority will be to make them plug and play...

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As it happens I was looking at the same thing... probably save me 50 quid over a UK one. I'm just wondering if a UK one is different internally because we've got amber indicators and the US ones just flash red so it might be worth me paying the extra to get the model of lights that actually needs modifying...
That rear light from USA is ÂŁ156 inc postage.
Euro rear light is 300ÂŁ

Sponsored

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you seen what diode dynamics have done? They have a harness that you fit between the light connectors. So there is no need for your customer to remove the light at all. You just find the light plug behind the carpet and plug the harness between it. Not sure if this is something that can be done with ours. They have said they are not designing a Eu kit as the wiring is different.
The market is all yours now lol

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Have you seen what diode dynamics have done? They have a harness that you fit between the light connectors. So there is no need for your customer to remove the light at all. You just find the light plug behind the carpet and plug the harness between it. Not sure if this is something that can be done with ours. They have said they are not designing a Eu kit as the wiring is different.
Ain't that harness just to make brake lights sequential?

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ain't that harness just to make brake lights sequential?
I think they say that it also does the turn signals. Are sequential turn signals legal in all states? I'm not sure. Will watch the video again.

Edit; yep your right it's to add the function to brake and hazards

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
That rear light from USA is ÂŁ156 inc postage.
Euro rear light is 300ÂŁ
Yea but I could also get stung for import duty which will put it up to near 200...

Well see but I think I'd rather have an actual EU light to work on for testing then I know for sure it's right...

I've seen what diode dynamics have done yea and an external controller that plugs into the harness would be a good way to go... however if you want it to be amber all the way across the lights will need opening to add in the amber LEDs

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
I think they say that it also does the turn signals. Are sequential turn signals legal in all states? I'm not sure. Will watch the video again.
Their blurb is a bit oddly worded but I think because they already have switchback turn signals it means it just adds the switchback style to the brakes

Sponsored

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea but I could also get stung for import duty which will put it up to near 200...

Well see but I think I'd rather have an actual EU light to work on for testing then I know for sure it's right...

I've seen what diode dynamics have done yea and an external controller that plugs into the harness would be a good way to go... however if you want it to be amber all the way across the lights will need opening to add in the amber LEDs
Ah yes gotcha :D

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Ford UK have very kindly provided me with a full set of wiring diagrams for the interior lighting and rear lighting clusters, for both the US and none US cars :ford:

Now to get to work...
Interior Wiring Page 5 of 10.jpg
Interior Wiring Page 6 of 10.jpg

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=20171]WaxDaddy[/MENTION] think you can make more sense of that than most of us - If so, I assume you're to be working on a sequential 'fix' over the next couple of months - or at least an on paper one, then once car/spare parts arrive testing such an invention?

Be nice to see your timeline around it all (Totally not so we can all throw lights at you and money to give us all sequentials :lol:)

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=20171]WaxDaddy[/MENTION] think you can make more sense of that than most of us - If so, I assume you're to be working on a sequential 'fix' over the next couple of months - or at least an on paper one, then once car/spare parts arrive testing such an invention?

Be nice to see your timeline around it all (Totally not so we can all throw lights at you and money to give us all sequentials :lol:)
I'm currently planning various solutions from an electronics side of things. I pretty much already know how to achieve simple sequential indicators with some simple electrical components... but I'm also looking at a more complex solution that can support multiple modes of operation... but keeping the exact details of that under wraps atm!

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm currently planning various solutions from an electronics side of things. I pretty much already know how to achieve simple sequential indicators with some simple electrical components... but I'm also looking at a more complex solution that can support multiple modes of operation... but keeping the exact details of that under wraps atm!
When you are able to convert the lights you will definitely be getting my money :thumbsup:
Sponsored