Sponsored

The Mustang Tax (GT350)

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
At first I hated the clutch feel. I even bought the Steeda spring and was ready to install it. But then I slowly started to like the stock feel. Now I don't know what to do. Could always switch and switch back if I don't like it. I probably won't switch out to the MGW shifter unless I can test drive it in someone else's car. I'm use to 25 year old Nissan shifters so this stock Ford unit is a dream.
Same here. When I first tried it at the dealership I thought there was something wrong with the clutch. But after driving ~ 500 miles, I have no concern with it. A lot nicer than the one in my '98 GT.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Same here. When I first tried it at the dealership I thought there was something wrong with the clutch. But after driving ~ 500 miles, I have no concern with it. A lot nicer than the one in my '98 GT.
Mine would get this stuck to floor feeling some times, i am not sure if that was unique to me.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
Mine would get this stuck to floor feeling some times, i am not sure if that was unique to me.
That was it. Felt to me like, my leg is moving, but the pedal is stuck.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
That was it. Felt to me like, my leg is moving, but the pedal is stuck.
Ah ok yeah I hated it, I think it was caused by the helper spring. Im happy no spring but you get a bit more vibration on engagement which im fine with.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I love the feel of clutch and shifter, no complaints there. Just had to get my butt in the correct seating position.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bgjersey30

bgjersey30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Shadow Black stripe delete
The way I'm reading the word 'tax' is that it's the cost of mods done more because of popularity and peer pressure than to satisfy any actual individual need for the driving intended. As far as I'm concerned, car mods should personalize a car to what its owner prefers, whether or not that agrees with what's currently popular with the rest of the community.

OP makes an argument for camber plates because they fit his intended use - if you were a regular GT owner and had a dragstrip focus instead and there was a lot of "you need these as mods just for themself" talk about them, you'd see these as being a tax.

Cold air (by itself) and further exhaust mods do not fit his needs, nor should they when the current focus is on modding himself as a driver.

On the shifter, OE shifters are actually pretty good as long as you work with them, guiding rather than forcing the motions between gears. Probably a lot easier to do consistently in easy street driving or on a road course where you aren't focused on lap times than at the dragstrip or if responding to a 'street challenge'.

Norm
My point exactly - thank you!

OP
OP
bgjersey30

bgjersey30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Shadow Black stripe delete

-----

^Nice vid, Mike. :thumbsup:

To recap...
  • MGW shifter.... check. Not a 100% mandatory mod so I actually agree with this. Personally, in my C7 Z06 and FoRS on the track I have missed shifts... in the GT350 and GT4, zero.
  • Clutch spring.... I have the Steeda spring for quite a while now but haven't installed it yet. Still accustomed with the stock setup.
  • Aftermarket exhaust not needed... 110% spot on. Stock exhaust is absolutely fine, also IMO. Stock intake is fine... it's already free flowing and high flow.
  • Camber plates... for optimum track preparation and tire preservation, yes it's a good upgrade.
  • Oil separator... yes for long-term heavy track use.
  • One mod I do recommend..... "driver mod". For example- Ford racing school (via Track Attack privilege for 1st owners) even if you don't plan to track your car it's a must do IMHO since you will learn basics/etiquette as well as safety first & foremost. It's also a pretty good program that's effin free! Or get HPDE instructors to teach you to be safe/smooth/fast.... and listen to them! And then even have various instructors evaluate you later on as you progress through your track-driving skill levels.
  • If your GT350 is a garage ornament... none of this applies. :lol:
agree

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Proves the point everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm pretty conservative and methodical with what I'm gonna do to my car and I don't consider any of my mods a 'tax'.

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
Was just @ Track Attack in Oct. 16' and all the cars there/instructors/mechanics did not opt to have the oil catch cans installed. . I'd think those cars qualify as heavy duty track cars. I haven't ordered them yet, but definitely considering when track season rears around in Spring.

Sponsored

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Great video. The points you make also help a new owner in addition to someone contemplating a GT350 purchase. I especially agree with the aftermarket exhaust and CAI. Nothing wrong with anyone picking them up and it appears that many are pleased with them but for the past few weeks I've thought several times as I'm driving her, "why would I want to change those"?
Aftermarket exhaust is the LAST thing our cars need. WTF?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Within the first 60 days of ownership I did:

Dual Catch Cans
Resonator delete
Clutch Spring
I agree an intake in not needed to me. Nor is a different exhaust. With the resonator delete it is screaming loud in "loud" mode and just adds some rasp in quiet mode when the revs are below 3500 RPM.

I also did..
Hood struts
PPF
Hardwire V1
BlendMount
Purchased Dash Cam and hard wired it
Hardwired CTEK comfort connect to battery
Changed MySync splash screen to R animation
Lloyd's LUX Matt's front, rear and trunk.

I'd say I'm done but I'm probably lying :D
Hey Mike, when you reference the "Splash screen to R animation", what exactly are you referring to? Are you referencing the startup animation that is normally silver in 350s/red in R's? Or were you able to change the "background" like you would on a desktop PC to the R image?!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Aftermarket exhaust is the LAST thing our cars need. WTF?
I agree it does not need it. However the Borla set up is almost 20lbs lighter, include the rear seat delete and lighter wheels you are down to closer 3600lbs. This is still a very heavy car and the lighter the better. This is why I purchased the Borla and also keeping my stock exhaust. Its a want not a need.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hey Mike, when you reference the "Splash screen to R animation", what exactly are you referring to? Are you referencing the startup animation that is normally silver in 350s/red in R's? Or were you able to change the "background" like you would on a desktop PC to the R image?!

IMG_3299.jpg
Sponsored