Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
My thoughts on what is not "needed" for the GT350
[ame]
-----

^Nice vid, Mike. :thumbsup:

To recap...
  • MGW shifter.... check. Not a 100% mandatory mod so I actually agree with this. Personally, in my C7 Z06 and FoRS on the track I have missed shifts... in the GT350 and GT4, zero.
  • Clutch spring.... I have the Steeda spring for quite a while now but haven't installed it yet. Still accustomed with the stock setup.
  • Aftermarket exhaust not needed... 110% spot on. Stock exhaust is absolutely fine, also IMO. Stock intake is fine... it's already free flowing and high flow.
  • Camber plates... for optimum track preparation and tire preservation, yes it's a good upgrade.
  • Oil separator... yes for long-term heavy track use.
  • One mod I do recommend..... "driver mod". For example- Ford racing school (via Track Attack privilege for 1st owners) even if you don't plan to track your car it's a must do IMHO since you will learn basics/etiquette as well as safety first & foremost. It's also a pretty good program that's effin free! Or get HPDE instructors to teach you to be safe/smooth/fast.... and listen to them! And then even have various instructors evaluate you later on as you progress through your track-driving skill levels.
  • If your GT350 is a garage ornament... none of this applies. :lol:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was glad to get an oil separator for the passenger side. 500 miles, a track day, and an autocross event and filled up 2 oz.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I agree with most. I just removed the clutch spring so it cost me nothing..

BUT I also understand the desire for people to tinker with their car.

I would like some induction noise though

tom185

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Great video. The points you make also help a new owner in addition to someone contemplating a GT350 purchase. I especially agree with the aftermarket exhaust and CAI. Nothing wrong with anyone picking them up and it appears that many are pleased with them but for the past few weeks I've thought several times as I'm driving her, "why would I want to change those"?

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Speaking of mods... may help all GT350's with more cooling flow to the trans but more especially for the Base & Tech(2015-2016) owners.

I also posted this earlier in the sticky...

Shelby American just released this.... http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/SHELBY-30.htm

Applications: 2015-2017 Shelby GT350 ($199.99)
Developed by Shelby's R&D team and track tested, the GT350 transmission air cooler is designed to not only bring cold air up directly on the vehicle's transmission but to also isolate the transmission from the heat of the catalytic converters to improve cooling and maintain performance.
Shelby-American_GT350-trans-scoop.jpg

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Within the first 60 days of ownership I did:

Dual Catch Cans
Resonator delete
Clutch Spring
I agree an intake in not needed to me. Nor is a different exhaust. With the resonator delete it is screaming loud in "loud" mode and just adds some rasp in quiet mode when the revs are below 3500 RPM.

I also did..
Hood struts
PPF
Hardwire V1
BlendMount
Purchased Dash Cam and hard wired it
Hardwired CTEK comfort connect to battery
Changed MySync splash screen to R animation
Lloyd's LUX Matt's front, rear and trunk.

I'd say I'm done but I'm probably lying :D

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
I like the video - lots of truth in there. Nice to haves - but do you really really need em?
I dont have mine yet - Saturday is pickup - but thats one of the reasons I went with the GT350. The main reason is the FPC of course, but the other reason is that there is nothing I would *HAVE* to modify.. a GT would of been tunes, one of the Ford Performance packages, maybe Roush, maybe Saleen, but why if theres a GT350 right around the corner from the price tag youre looking at anways, much easier.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
#1 - The MGW GT350 shifter

You are missing the point of the shifter in this car. It is about increased precision and not because of "missed shifts." In addition, the factory design has an inherent flaw with the reverse lockout with failed o-rings. There have been a number of members here alone that have had to go back to the dealer because of it (and the issue remains in).

You can continue to use the stock shifter and be happy with it. You will continue to miss out on the benefits. Had you installed an MGW and used it for some time, you would immediately notice the difference were you to then drive a GT350 with a stock shifter.

#2 - Clutch spring

The factory spring is a poor match in terms of assist to the rest of the car. Witness the large numbers of individuals having the same complaint, across the S550 board. They aren't saying it simply to keep up with the Jones' but rather because it immediately sticks out from the first shift made and beyond. You try to legitimize the argument against spending $10 or $15 and suggest buying gas is a better alternative. I suggest you are missing the boat here.

#3 Tune

The factory tune is a compromise, as always. FRP will (hopefully) release the TracKey. Sitting that one out on the sidelines, you'll be missing the benefits of a tweaked PCM. There are gains to be made from certain changes in the factory strategy that will benefit owners from a performance perspective without sacrificing long term durability.

#4 Borla exhaust.

Borla makes the GT350 exhaust tips. Shiloh, Faurecia, and Watson supply the rest.

#5 Camber plates

Surprising that you made the argument for them. They offer similar utility as a shifter or clutch spring. Increased precision via a change in hardware. I honestly thought you were going to suggest camber/crash bolts as you could put even more gas into the car with the savings over purchasing camber plates as they offer an increased adjustment range (as much as I would never use them). That said, C/C plates are a great idea on an S550 but your use of them runs counter to your logic elsewhere in your video.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The way I'm reading the word 'tax' is that it's the cost of mods done more because of popularity and peer pressure than to satisfy any actual individual need for the driving intended. As far as I'm concerned, car mods should personalize a car to what its owner prefers, whether or not that agrees with what's currently popular with the rest of the community.

OP makes an argument for camber plates because they fit his intended use - if you were a regular GT owner and had a dragstrip focus instead and there was a lot of "you need these as mods just for themself" talk about them, you'd see these as being a tax.

Cold air (by itself) and further exhaust mods do not fit his needs, nor should they when the current focus is on modding himself as a driver.

On the shifter, OE shifters are actually pretty good as long as you work with them, guiding rather than forcing the motions between gears. Probably a lot easier to do consistently in easy street driving or on a road course where you aren't focused on lap times than at the dragstrip or if responding to a 'street challenge'.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
At first I hated the clutch feel. I even bought the Steeda spring and was ready to install it. But then I slowly started to like the stock feel. Now I don't know what to do. Could always switch and switch back if I don't like it. I probably won't switch out to the MGW shifter unless I can test drive it in someone else's car. I'm use to 25 year old Nissan shifters so this stock Ford unit is a dream.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
My thoughts on what is not "needed" for the GT350

+1 for the catch cans and the camber plates. Catch cans are recommended by FP and to achieve the FP recommended track alignment you NEED THE CAMBER PLATES! Everything else I agree with completely. They are wants and not needs. What is really needed is DRIVER MOD.

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for this.

Great review of the most common mods now that there has been a full driving season to evaluate the cars with and without the mods.

May be worth adding the "brake duct completion kit" to the conversation as the thread grows...

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
At first I hated the clutch feel. I even bought the Steeda spring and was ready to install it. But then I slowly started to like the stock feel. Now I don't know what to do. Could always switch and switch back if I don't like it. I probably won't switch out to the MGW shifter unless I can test drive it in someone else's car. I'm use to 25 year old Nissan shifters so this stock Ford unit is a dream.
As an easy experiment, try just removing the clutch spring and see what you have. The feel is certainly more linear and there is a good chance you may not have any pedal free play at the top, lot a lot of people have commented on. That's what I did back in January and after 11 months and 10K miles, I think the clutch feel in my 350 is as close to perfect as you can get.
Sponsored