Sponsored

The $6,500 or $7,500 question.

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
One of the most important questions to any person who is considering a GT350 is which option package to choose, the Track Package, Technology Package or neither.

Absent egregious dealer markups, a bare bone GT350 probably represents one of today's best performance values at $50K. It may be rather spartan for daily use, but even a base car is a terrific track car which is deficient only relative to any further benefit the Track Package's more aggressive and sophisticated suspension and robust powertrain components yield. There's no question about which I'd rather own to flog around a track on a regular basis, but I also never would hesitate to track a base GT350 on any given weekend.

Despite the greater distinction between intended purposes, the differences between the Track and Technology Packages and, more precisely, which Package to choose when ordering can be far more difficult to delineate. The choice of which box to tick for those who intend only to drive their GT350 at the track is simple. But I suggest that represents an overwhelmingly small slice of all buyers, even those who intend to buy GT350 as a direct replacement for BOSS 302 which, despite being virtually devoid of any advanced creature comfort, most drove regularly on public roads too.

Personally, I believe those who may be replacing a GT or GT500 have a far simpler decision to make in favor of the Technology Package because of the inherent amount of everyday use both of these models generally see, notwithstanding those who've modified and improved a GT and GT500 to be more track-capable. Especially for GT500 owners, for all the many terrific things S197 GT500 evolved into being, particularly good on a track with the massive Condor and Trinity mills heaving so much mass on the nose.

With GT350 having been created so specifically with the track in mind, especially those looking for a direct replacement for a more-powerful GT500, a great many are likely to do so with the intent of logging more time than ever on road courses where their cars are at their best. For these two groups whose GT350 ownership will straddle both worlds to the extent that neither will be insignificant, the choice seems to boil down to one key question.

Does GT350 with Technology Package make a more capable track car than a GT350 with Track Package for everyday use?

Cloth Recaros versus Heated and Cooled Buckets is one obvious difference, as is the existence of a bona fide infotainment system. Yet both cars have magnetic dampers which greatly improve handling, but with very different calibrations and stiffer springs and bars for the Track Package cars, but no one seems able to quantify these difference in terms of either specification or their practical performance. The two cars have subtle aerodynamic differences (why?) but otherwise rely on the same powertrain, brakes, wheels and tires.

Although the Technology Package is outnumbering the Track Package 2:1 so far, this is a question I haven't yet resolved for myself. For those who intend their GT350 to straddle both worlds, I'd appreciate knowing your minds.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
And just like that, M6G turned into a Tom Clancy novel.

You took a long time to ask a simple question..a question you answered for yourself a few times over. It's based on what the owner intends to use the car for.

"

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I got the tech pack, also the additional one-pager from ford says future trany and diff coolers are coming, which you can get for a base or tech pack car. They never mentioned engine oil cooler but I assume that will be a direct-fit from the track pack car.

the seats in the tech pack are really comfortable I must say. feels very supportive.

in my opinion if you want to get the best of both worlds, just get the tech pack and add all 3 coolers later.

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
I got the tech pack, also the additional one-pager from ford says future trany and diff coolers are coming, which you can get for a base or tech pack car. They never mentioned engine oil cooler but I assume that will be a direct-fit from the track pack car.

the seats in the tech pack are really comfortable I must say. feels very supportive.

in my opinion if you want to get the best of both worlds, just get the tech pack and add all 3 coolers later.
What do you think those coolers will cost?

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm sorry, What was the question again?

Sponsored

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Your looking at close to $1,000 for the coolers, If you want to keep your warranty and have a factory authorized tech do it, I would say close to $2,000

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Does GT350 with Technology Package make a more capable track car than a GT350 with Track Package for everyday use?
If all you are doing is tracking that makes your decision way different than if you will be spending most of your time in the GT350 on the street. I'm not going to spend over $50k on a car and then not use it everyday. $50k is already a stretch for what I want to spend on a car.

For me, I'm a big guy - not fat but I'm 6'4" and broad for my height. I have never fit into any recent Ford Recaros comfortably. I figure if I need a seat for the track I can buy something much better than the Recaros, but I don't want to try to buy a different everyday seat.

I am not into needing the latest electronic gadgets, but after reading posts on here I believe that a tech pack car will have better resale than a track pack.

Yet both cars have magnetic dampers which greatly improve handling, but with very different calibrations and stiffer springs and bars for the Track Package cars, but no one seems able to quantify these difference in terms of either specification or their practical performance. The two cars have subtle aerodynamic differences (why?) but otherwise rely on the same powertrain, brakes, wheels and tires.
My understanding is the track and tech pack cars have identical suspension. Yes the aero is different, which will make a difference on the track. I would consider swapping different aero components on my car. I will wait to get the car, read other peoples' feedback and then decide what I want to do.

To me the main thing I'm interested in is the engine. I want magneride to make the car easier to live with daily - and because from what I've read it is amazing. However, even with all I've heard about magneride I still would have bought the base model if I were a small guy and knew I would fit into the Recaros.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Coming from a boss I went with the base @ $ 49995 yes I got lucky........ I'm retired and this is just a toy and probably won't track her. My boss rides just right for me with the damper settings @ 4. I don't need to spend $7500 and lose the recaros or $6500 for the adjustable dampers. If I tracked the car yes the $6500 option would have been considered.
One thing I had to have were the recaros even @ 6'5" they feel great. I like them in the boss and a lot of people on here said they are better on the 350. Done deal.....she is being built this Wednesday. 11/11

GTA Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350
My opinion:

1. If the car is going to be a daily driver, or as a secondary vehicle for the household that will see normal driving action once a week or more except in snowy winters, choose the Tech Pack. You want a great sports car but yet you don't want to give up the comfort in motoring.

2. If the car is to be used as a track car, or something to be preserved as a collectible down the road, that will be in the garage most of the time and only see the road or a track once in a while, Track Pack will be the choice. You want a hard core, true to its mission, focused sports car that will keep its value but you can't get your hands on an R.

These are two very different priorities. I belong to the second category.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Coming from a boss I went with the base @ $ 49995 yes I got lucky........ I'm retired and this is just a toy and probably won't track her. My boss rides just right for me with the damper settings @ 4. I don't need to spend $7500 and lose the recaros or $6500 for the adjustable dampers. If I tracked the car yes the $6500 option would have been considered.
One thing I had to have were the recaros even @ 6'5" they feel great. I like them in the boss and a lot of people on here said they are better on the 350. Done deal.....she is being built this Wednesday. 11/11
Congrats on your car man. Please let us know how it rides. I also can't justify spending on either packages since the only thing I really want is the MagneRide

Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
My understanding is that the pump for the Trans cooler is built in, so it is not readily added.

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
just wait a year or two and see if they change the optioning on these cars. if you care about the performance at all, which i am guessing we all do, then go track pack.

- via Tapatalk App

needspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Challenger Hellcat - Tored
Tech package all the way. I will autox and HPDE, but generally I am going to DD it, so its the right compromise for me.

It would have been nice if Ford let us pick individual options, but alas, they did not.....It's all good......Steve

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I plan to drive my GT350 on both the track and the street. Ideally I would have bought the R with the electronics package, but wasn't able to find one at a reasonable price and I wanted rear seats. I quickly gave up on the R and went with a Track Pack instead.

I really wanted the Recaros, the Magneride, and the cooling. I preferred the nicer head unit on the tech package, but didn't care much about the heated and cooled seats. I was annoyed that Ford didn't offer the nicer radio as a separate option, but in the end I'm fine with the track pack and will probably prefer having actual buttons.

-T

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I plan to drive my GT350 on both the track and the street. Ideally I would have bought the R with the electronics package, but wasn't able to find one at a reasonable price and I wanted rear seats. I quickly gave up on the R and went with a Track Pack instead.

I really wanted the Recaros, the Magneride, and the cooling. I preferred the nicer head unit on the tech package, but didn't care much about the heated and cooled seats. I was annoyed that Ford didn't offer the nicer radio as a separate option, but in the end I'm fine with the track pack and will probably prefer having actual buttons.

-T
^Exactly the same reasons as yours for me. I wanted the R but I refuse to pay an ADM over 10K for one. In the end, the Track Pkg should be sufficient for on & off the track... my planned mods are forged wheels that are lighter than the stock wheels and I will mount either Cup2's or R comps or even Continental scrubs for the track.
Sponsored