bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Which one is the better all around car? For the 1% of drivers that want the best performing stock title. The Camaro is the winner. For the rest of the world. People want a car they can easily live with! Not a car your taking your life in your hands every time you change lanes. If I wanted the best performing stock title. I would have second mortgaged the house and bought a Viper ACR.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
so you disagree with his points cause they are spot on. the camaro is a parts bin car nothing special about the "redesign" is that what you want to call it :lol:
I realize that any brand-specific forum is like a cult. The way you framed the Camaro and the way you've framed the Mustang in your post make sense ONLY here.

The S550 is all new... it's is a pretty high tech chassis, a colossal effort was put into the styling (with great success) but Ford underestimated what they might face in terms of performance...likely because the new car gained a bunch of weight...

...honestly, I was hanging on the widely held rumors of a lighter Mustang...when it came to light that the S550 gained 200lbs (+/-), I knew something was up.

That must make GM's use of parts bin garbage that much more impressive, right?

IThe S550 is absolutely a wonderful car. I would be surprised if any S550 owners regretted their purchase...but to some of us, we like muscle cars...performance is a huge part of the appeal and for the S550 GT, the performance numbers just look disappointing when you can see what the cross-town competition is doing in the same class with "parts bin" components.

Have driven one and was not impressed. My Ecoboost will kick the crap out of any v6 or t4 camaro unlike general motors trend I run 93 octane all the time.
That's great...it's 100% believable that you like your car better than the competition...but your claim of "kicking the crap out of..." is completely out of line with the opinion of people who test professionally. I suppose it's a conspiracy? :shrug:

Which one is the better all around car? For the 1% of drivers that want the best performing stock title. The Camaro is the winner. For the rest of the world. People want a car they can easily live with! Not a car your taking your life in your hands every time you change lanes. If I wanted the best performing stock title. I would have second mortgaged the house and bought a Viper ACR.
If performance doesn't matter, you could save lots of money by sticking with a Fusion. The visibility is better too.

Yes, yes, yes. Thank god that the visibility in the Camaro sucks...or else people would have to move he argument down to the size of the trunk opening.

Bold/colored text really drives your point across. :headbonk:

Anyway, please let me restate: I freaking love the Mustang. Each iteration since the Fox Body has brought something new, each has been great to drive. I have bought two new Mustangs in a row, each has been spectacular. I want another one...I'm just waiting for competition to light a fire under the blue oval.

If I wanted a Camaro, I would have one by now.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The new camaro is leaps and bounds ahead of mustang, and if you argue that go drive one.
Don't feed the troll folks.:dnftt:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I realize that any brand-specific forum is like a cult. The way you framed the Camaro and the way you've framed the Mustang in your post make sense ONLY here.

Anyway, please let me restate: I freaking love the Mustang. Each iteration since the Fox Body has brought something new, each has been great to drive. I have bought two new Mustangs in a row, each has been spectacular. I want another one...I'm just waiting for competition to light a fire under the blue oval.

If I wanted a Camaro, I would have one by now.
Your posts and point of view generally seem like they would fit better on a Camaro forum.

Why would Ford feel a fire lighting when they are outselling the competition 2:1? I really like my Mustang and I don't feel motivated to look for another car right now.

If you want the Mustang to be slightly improved so it will beat a stock Camaro, you can do that easily by modifying one. Or practice your launches because it's a driver's race right now. Or wait - I'm sure there will be a power bump soon.

My advice is to not hold your breath on Ford trying too hard to leapfrog over the Camaro's performance, though. It's obvious that performance isn't the #1 selling point for these cars - at least not when the two cars are already nearly identical in performance. They are so close in performance right now that most people can find many other reasons to buy the better car (Mustang).

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your posts and point of view generally seem like they would fit better on a Camaro forum.
Hack, Read the thread title.

Why would Ford feel a fire lighting when they are outselling the competition 2:1? I really like my Mustang and I don't feel motivated to look for another car right now.

If you want the Mustang to be slightly improved so it will beat a stock Camaro, you can do that easily by modifying one. Or practice your launches because it's a driver's race right now. Or wait - I'm sure there will be a power bump soon.

My advice is to not hold your breath on Ford trying too hard to leapfrog over the Camaro's performance, though. It's obvious that performance isn't the #1 selling point for these cars - at least not when the two cars are already nearly identical in performance. They are so close in performance right now that most people can find many other reasons to buy the better car (Mustang).
The only hope that the Camaro's superior performance and driving experience are because of customers (like me) who are hesitating on replacing their long-paid for previous gen cars.

Some of us saw what our money "should be "buying and the Ford fell short in a few (important to some of us) measures. I don't want to have to modify my brand new Mustang to even come close to a stock Camaro SS. That's embarrassing...and it totally negates the widely tossed around price advantage for the Mustang.

If you don't care about performance than there is no debate. The S550 is wonderful to look at both exterior and interior...to some of us, the Mustang GT is a performance car. The S197 GT (with the Coyote) was absolutely unmatched in performance:dollar. The S550 gained weight and not enough power to keep that status.

Now the Camaro costs a bit more but drives and goes much better. A base $37k 1SS will mop the floor with a $38k GT/PP.

Yes, the Mustang is doing a lot better than the Camaro at the market place...but sales for all muscle cars have dropped off a bit. They have an obligation to meet shareholder expectations and I think that will push Ford to make the Mustang better in one of the primary ways that these cars have been great- performance.

FWIW, I came to this forum to learn about the (possible) Mach 1 and the impending 2018 refresh...but most of all, because I don't want a Camaro. I want a Mustang that drives at least as well as one.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I was strictly talking performance. That's it. The mustang has more storage, easier to see out of, not as hate it or love it styling, and it's cheaper.

But performance, the Camaro wins in every metric.
I get to play with our Mustang literally every day. It's a good car and I can see why people love them. It's just missing something, and I can't put my finger on it.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
FWIW, I came to this forum to learn about the (possible) Mach 1 and the impending 2018 refresh...but most of all, because I don't want a Camaro. I want a Mustang that drives at least as well as one.
I think this is something that you are going to have to get over. Ford will come out with a better performing mustang...will hold the title for a year or two and then the Camaro will best it. This cycle will likely continue until government standards phase out large engine vehicles.

Right now, the two are close enough to make it a drivers race under most circumstances. What gear you are in, how you launch, what setting you or on etc. will all come into play. 1/4 mile times for both cars are so far all over the board. Something I have found over the years is there are far more terrible drivers than good ones. That enabled my stock foxbody to lay the smack down on many unsuspecting LS1's.

Fear the driver mod.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I was strictly talking performance. That's it. The mustang has more storage, easier to see out of, not as hate it or love it styling, and it's cheaper.

I get to play with our Mustang literally every day. It's a good car and I can see why people love them. It's just missing something, and I can't put my finger on it.
The buying public gets it. I don't think the Chevy faithful ever will. If you want more performance ford offers that. Slap on a power pack and the track suspension and go hunt Camaros all day long. And keep your warranty! All for about the cost of a 1SS. If your not worried about a warranty. Slap on a wipple and go hunt everything. That's the beauty of this car. you can have anything you want. A cheap daily driver with good looks-EB/V6. All the way up to a track monster GT350r. And it's still offered in a desirable, yet user friendly package. Like I said in my first post. Camaro has a lot going for it. But the things it does bad. It does real bad. GM fans and GM need to realize. The SS winning magazine comparisons doesn't sell cars. We can have a million of these threads. It's always the same talking points. Well the Camaro is faster stock. I think everyone on this forum has conseeded that by now. Maybe the Chevy guys might want to figure out why the fastest stock cars are sitting on dealer lots by the thousands. And nobody wants them.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Now the Camaro costs a bit more but drives and goes much better. A base $37k 1SS will mop the floor with a $38k GT/PP.
You seem Chevy biased to me. There's no doubt I'm Ford biased, but I would say the Camaro costs MUCH MORE and performs just a bit better.

Even the prices you quote are way off showing Ford costing way more than it does. Why you even pretend to be a Ford guy is beyond me.

Depends on who is driving the car. 4% power difference is well within differences in driver ability. And the Mustang has more torque at the tire during launch. If you have good tires and do a good launch in a Mustang GT, you will smoke the SS every time.

The difference in price is enough by itself. Even $2k is a lot in my opinion. Unless the more expensive car is WAY better I'm not buying. And most people agree with me.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I wanted to like the Camaro. But, when you sit in a Camaro, there is poor visibility and for me that takes away from all the effort and better performing #'s the car puts up.
Sitting in that car, I felt like 3 year old sitting in a bathtub peering out over the door sill. At that point, who cares how well the car performs. That just plain sucks. Fix that, and they'll have a winner on their hands.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You seem Chevy biased to me. There's no doubt I'm Ford biased, but I would say the Camaro costs MUCH MORE and performs just a bit better.

Even the prices you quote are way off showing Ford costing way more than it does. Why you even pretend to be a Ford guy is beyond me.
I'm not a brand loyalist but I as a car shopper, I am "best in class" biased. A slower muscle car has to be A LOT cheaper or A LOT better in some regard to get my muscle car dollars.

Regardless of sales numbers, the Camaro SS is best in class currently.

If I wanted a charming, fun, 30k-ish muscle car, regardless of performance, the Challenger R/T would have to be considered too. I love the Challenger as well but it's a little too flabby (and slow) so it didn't make my list.
Why did you guys not buy a Challenger? It certainly couldn't have been a price or performance argument! :D

As for the price that I quoted in my last post, I forgot that I had added cloth Recaro seats as the only other option on my Mustang (as I wanted it) which brought it to about $38k. I just went back to double check on the price of the GT/PP that I got so wrong...GT 6spd/base with just the performance pack is $36,540...and this is still within spitting distance of a 1SS.

I don't know what you consider "a bit better" but as someone who didn't have dog in this fight (other than rolling up to the dealership in my own Mustang), the Camaro SS drove WAY better than the S550 by my estimation. I don't know what else to tell you.

Depends on who is driving the car. 4% power difference is well within differences in driver ability. And the Mustang has more torque at the tire during launch. If you have good tires and do a good launch in a Mustang GT, you will smoke the SS every time.

The difference in price is enough by itself. Even $2k is a lot in my opinion. Unless the more expensive car is WAY better I'm not buying. And most people agree with me.
Please educate yourself on engine specs and how they reflect the driving experience. Yep...the LT-1 puts out a bit more hp than the 5.0L but it puts out a lot more torque and ha a "grown-ass man" worth (standard unit of measure) less weight to haul around. Dude, it matters.

I don't want to convince anyone that they bought the wrong car or that the current Mustang is somehow "bad." I'm thrilled that you guys are happy with your purchases...but perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this forum?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
If your worried about being best in class go get yourself a base GT and do the mods I mentioned above. Boom! your problem is solved. Are you worried about performance? Or what magazines say? If your worried about performance. I promise you a 500hp Mustang sitting on track pack suspension will kill the Class leading muscle car you speak of. And won't cost you a dollar more than a 1 SS. Oh and if you don't like bold colored text? Feel free to put me in your ignore list. If you can't figure it out. Pm me and I'll help you!;)

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Chevy had to borrow a motor (LT1) from the CORVETTE platform to even get close to competing with a 5.0L hahaha.

Paulie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I can't speak on the camero, I don't care for the looks. But I can say for a car that sticker price was over 40k, the panel alignment was terrible on my car.
I had to adjust the drivers door, both front fenders, gap to hood, bumper to hood, bumper to fender,
Grind and slot the trunk latch mount to drop the rear of the trunk level to rear quarter panel.
I also re adjusted the rear black lower trim piece so you couldn't see light between the quarter panel and trim piece.
I know how to do this stuff no problem, but in no way should it have ever been delivered that crappy.
I picked it up on a rainy night after work, I don't trust a dealer with this type of work. Body shop only.
I drove my 06 4wd 4 door diesel to work today and the interior has less squeaks/creeks/vibes. More work to be done.
I really love the ride so it will stay for now.
Sponsored