Sponsored

Test drove 2016 2SS Camaro today compared to Mustang GT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The TQ difference is going to be felt the most between the SS and GT vs. the HP difference. My .02.
What is the torque difference at the wheels?

Remember that torque at the engine doesn't mean much.

If you think torque at the engine matters more than torque at the wheels, start your next race in 4th gear.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
What is the torque difference at the wheels?

Remember that torque at the engine doesn't mean much.

If you think torque at the engine matters more than torque at the wheels, start your next race in 4th gear.
The TQ difference at the wheels, stock for stock is over 40RWTQ difference, if not ~50 A6 to A8.

There is a huge difference in TQ of these 2 cars under 4-5k RPM. You certainly feel that when taking off.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The TQ difference at the wheels, stock for stock is over 40RWTQ difference, if not ~50 A6 to A8.

There is a huge difference in TQ of these 2 cars under 4-5k RPM. You certainly feel that when taking off.
I believe he's talking about net difference, involving the gears. For the Manuals, GTPP will put down the most torque in first if you can hook. Auto Camaro though... See below:

GTPP vs Man Camaro vs 350:

GTPP vs Auto Camaro vs 350:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I guess where I'm used to driving a fast car. I don't really feel a lot of difference. Between the Camaro and Mustang. :shrug:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's close on paper. And it's not like they're in different classes haha. But drive them back to back. You will definitely notice a difference. That being said, we have a pre owned 2015GT premium on our lot. Guy traded for a a new Camaro. Dang it sure is pretty......
It's noticeable when driving on the road because of the low-end torque difference. A highway pull will be close (power).

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have recently participated in a discussion on this exact topic...and I still feel sick to my stomach for praising the Camaro so much.

Camaro SS is a vastly superior performance car. This doesn't mean that people should like it better...but I'll just say that the Camaro SS made the biggest impression on me since the 5.0 Coyote came out sometime in 2010.

The 6th gen Camaro is the new benchmark for performance in this class. Everything else feels obsolete.

As for fit and finish, the complaints about orange peel, panel gaps, etc. on '15 cars were pretty universal. I don't know if that has gotten better for '16-'17 but it's hardly something that Mustang fans can lord over the Chevy folks.
Gees has he drank the koolaid or what. Vastly superior, oh man a half second here, a second there, not superior by long shot. Benchmark only in your dreams. Using a hand me down chassis same old styling with a large shot of horse power. Nothing new or benchmark setting.
The S550 Mustang set the benchmark. Fresh new styling but with some previous design elements to tie it to it's 50 year continuous past. Excellent power great road manners and livable as a daily driver, user and mod friendly. And most of all, a all new chassis. Ford could have rehashed and altered the s197 chassis like they did the Fox to the SN 95 but didn't. Ford new that if the created a all new Mustang that it would cost more at first but the pay off in world wide sales would be worth it.
Ford knocked out of the park wile gm struck out. :ford:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Here in MN...if you see a car or truck that has peeling paint...it's always a GM product...regardless of year.
Last year I bought a Silverado...because I was/and still am leery of the all aluminum Ford truck. Six weeks after taking delivery...palm sized pieces of paint on the cab top flaked off. The paint shop had to sand down the whole top to bare metal to get the new paint to bond correctly. The shop said they were getting at least a new truck a week in to repaint.
The F150 is a far superior truck. As it should be it's the first new one in 10+ years from the major manufactures. That being said. I have seen durability data from a major OEM, needless to say it did very very well against all the other trucks.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Gees has he drank the koolaid or what. Vastly superior, oh man a half second here, a second there, not superior by long shot. Benchmark only in your dreams. Using a hand me down chassis same old styling with a large shot of horse power. Nothing new or benchmark setting.
The S550 Mustang set the benchmark. Fresh new styling but with some previous design elements to tie it to it's 50 year continuous past. Excellent power great road manners and livable as a daily driver, user and mod friendly. And most of all, a all new chassis. Ford could have rehashed and altered the s197 chassis like they did the Fox to the SN 95 but didn't. Ford new that if the created a all new Mustang that it would cost more at first but the pay off in world wide sales would be worth it.
Ford knocked out of the park wile gm struck out. :ford:
Yes. You spent money on a consumer product and you want to feel good about it. Therefore, I obviously "drank the koolaid."

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
Yes. You spent money on a consumer product and you want to feel good about it. Therefore, I obviously "drank the koolaid."
so you disagree with his points cause they are spot on. the camaro is a parts bin car nothing special about the "redesign" is that what you want to call it :lol:

Sponsored

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
I don't think Ford owners can complain about paint quality of another manufacturer. I have never seen a car pick up paint chips as easily as my 16 GT. I have felt for along time that the thickness of the paint must be down and does not stick well on my mustang. I sort of feel like people who live in glass houses should not throw rocks on this issue.
At least your car was all the same shade. When I sold Camaro, not uncommon to get cars in that had 3 different shades on them. When we complained, Chevy rep said it was normal.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The new camaro is leaps and bounds ahead of mustang, and if you argue that go drive one.
Have driven one and was not impressed. My Ecoboost will kick the crap out of any v6 or t4 camaro unlike general motors trend I run 93 octane all the time.

MagGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
The new camaro is leaps and bounds ahead of mustang, and if you argue that go drive one.
please explain how a few tenths in the quarter mile is LEAPS AND BOUNDS

they get really similar track times according to motortrend, their streets of willow times is about a second.

LEAPS AND BOUNDS~!

shit man if you give the mustang the same tires (LIKE MOTORTREND DID BETWEEN THE ECOBOOST AND CAMARO) then the times would probably be identical.

so explain how it is LEAPS AND BOUNDS!

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
please explain how a few tenths in the quarter mile is LEAPS AND BOUNDS

they get really similar track times according to motortrend, their streets of willow times is about a second.

LEAPS AND BOUNDS~!

shit man if you give the mustang the same tires (LIKE MOTORTREND DID BETWEEN THE ECOBOOST AND CAMARO) then the times would probably be identical.

so explain how it is LEAPS AND BOUNDS!
There has yet to be a same day test done on lap times. Also, the Camaro has smaller, Runflat tires compared to the GTPP. So.....drive an SS and GT back to back, and see which one is the better performance car.
Sponsored