Sponsored

Test drove 2016 2SS Camaro today compared to Mustang GT

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
No, it's a characteristic of the Mustang IRS/driveline. The MT82 on the S197 cars didn't do the thud, and the GT350 with the Tremec makes the same noise when dropped into first.
Ahh got it, thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
No, it's a characteristic of the Mustang IRS/driveline. The MT82 on the S197 cars didn't do the thud, and the GT350 with the Tremec makes the same noise when dropped into first.
Ahh got it, thanks for the clarification.
Are you guys downshifting into first? I've heard no loud thuds from the transmission in my R :shrug:

At the same time, sometimes these odd noises aren't all that uncommon or always signal things to worry about. You guys should hear how a GTR sounds when just tootling around town, sounds like the transmission is going to fall out of it lol but GTR specific tech said that it is to be expected and is normal for those cars, they basically have racing spec transmissions

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Are you guys downshifting into first? I've heard no loud thuds from the transmission in my R :shrug:

At the same time, sometimes these odd noises aren't all that uncommon or always signal things to worry about. You guys should hear how a GTR sounds when just tootling around town, sounds like the transmission is going to fall out of it lol but GTR specific tech said that it is to be expected and is normal for those cars, they basically have racing spec transmissions
You probably just don't drive the car enough to notice. It's not a loud thud, either. It's fairly quiet. It should be easier to hear in an R with less sound insulation than a GT or GT350. The sound typically happens when you engage reverse, back up a bit and then engage first (there's a clunk), let out the clutch and go. Downshifting from second to first when moving forward doesn't give you a clunk.

I agree it's nothing to be concerned about. It's just a characteristic of the car.
Sponsored