Sponsored

Starter clearance with Longtubes

Ramblinman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT PP 401A
New to the forum so perhaps this is already in a previous thread, and if so please point me in that direction, but are there any downsides to installing headers on the 15/16 GTs?

Just ordered my 16 GT PP a few weeks ago and I know what catback and header setup I want, but don't know if I want to go through with the headers.

In my previous experience with my blown Mach 1, my Kooks LT's got in the way of my starter, which when it heat soaked due to all the power, cost me a pretty penny to have removed all just to replace a damn starter. :frusty:

I learned my lesson and put a heat shield around the starter, and probably should have replaced it with a mini-starter, but I'm wondering if there is a similar scenario with clearance issues pertaining to the starter on new GT's and putting in LT's. Should I just plan to heat wrap my heads, or go with a mini-starter? Are the '14 starters the same/universal with the '15s?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Sponsored

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Short answer, no issues with starter clearance. I swapped out the exhaust manifold for some SW headers a month or two ago, and I don't see any future problems there.

RBS550 is doing his now, check his thread here:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25688

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Starter clearance

New to the forum so perhaps this is already in a previous thread, and if so please point me in that direction, but are there any downsides to installing headers on the 15/16 GTs?

Just ordered my 16 GT PP a few weeks ago and I know what catback and header setup I want, but don't know if I want to go through with the headers.

In my previous experience with my blown Mach 1, my Kooks LT's got in the way of my starter, which when it heat soaked due to all the power, cost me a pretty penny to have removed all just to replace a damn starter. :frusty:

I learned my lesson and put a heat shield around the starter, and probably should have replaced it with a mini-starter, but I'm wondering if there is a similar scenario with clearance issues pertaining to the starter on new GT's and putting in LT's. Should I just plan to heat wrap my heads, or go with a mini-starter? Are the '14 starters the same/universal with the '15s?

Plenty of room, mine are Stainless Works from Team Beefcake.
Passenger 1.jpg
Passenger 2.jpg
Passenger 3.jpg
Passenger 4.jpg

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP

What system did you decide on? I know the ARH, SW/ SP and Kooks havent had any fitment issues. Starter is a non issue as well and I've found the install on these cars to be a bit easier.

Give us a shout if you have any other questions;)

OP
OP

Ramblinman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT PP 401A
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Jayman, I will be almost 100% going with the Kooks 1 3/4 and the Borla S-Type, which is what I have on my Mach 1. I've thought about the Atak, but I think with the LT's it will be too loud. Not for me, but for my passengers/neighbors.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Jayman, I will be almost 100% going with the Kooks 1 3/4 and the Borla S-Type, which is what I have on my Mach 1. I've thought about the Atak, but I think with the LT's it will be too loud. Not for me, but for my passengers/neighbors.
Let us know when you're ready or if you have any questions. We'd definitely love to take care of ya!
Sponsored