Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
I suspect that this will never pass. If they're limiting your speed, how could they ever write speeding tickets? It may put a revenue stream at risk.

But, this is the direction that all of the new tech is heading. Disconnect that modem!

:)
Your not wrong, but 10mph over (what the bill proposed as max) is still a ticket worthy violation.

At least the Peoples Republic of California residents still have till 2027, should this pass, to drive w/the ability to pass another vehicle.

Imagine all the places that current GPS has wrong on actual speed limits, & the times your on a road, or street, that isn't recognized yet by lack of updates. Quite a few service roads are mistaken for a major thoroughfares as well.

The revenue lost in tickets is going into someone's pockets, or they wouldn't be proposing this. Insurance companies are likely lining the pocket of this State Senator.

They are clearly behind the 2026 Impaired Driver mandates that are in the Inflation Reduction Act pages we already posted in another thread.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Between my home and the small town where I go shopping about six miles away, there is a set of tunnels. The tunnels happen to pass thru a portion of the Cumberland Gap National Park, so are a federal project.
Being federal there are some differences from other tunnels. For example, the park rangers can and do enforce traffic laws, so a speeding ticket sends you to a federal court.
The difference on my mind is related to this proposed upper speed limit idea to be under control of the cars computer. The tunnel complex has several large message signs we have to drive under. Along with messages there is a section showing the speed limit. Within the park boundary the speed limit can be changed at will by the tunnel operators. The speed is 45 MPH for the roads leading into and from the tunnels. They can lower their section to any speed they wish, often down to 25 MPH.
I try to picture a mix of new speed limited vehicles and older driver-controlled vehicles at the moment the limit goes from 45 to 25.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If I understand correctly, manufacturers will have to provide such systems, but nobody says that the drivers must actually use them, nor that they cannot be turned off. It's just like the other safety systems (e.g. traction control, line assist, collision avoidance, etc.) which are mandatory already (at least in Europe they are), yet we can still turn them off.
Even if this one can't be turned off (though this is extremely unlikely), we will still find a way to kill it. Nothing is unkillable.

Last edited:

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Hello; Between my home and the small town where I go shopping about six miles away, there is a set of tunnels. The tunnels happen to pass thru a portion of the Cumberland Gap National Park, so are a federal project.
Being federal there are some differences from other tunnels. For example, the park rangers can and do enforce traffic laws, so a speeding ticket sends you to a federal court.
The difference on my mind is related to this proposed upper speed limit idea to be under control of the cars computer. The tunnel complex has several large message signs we have to drive under. Along with messages there is a section showing the speed limit. Within the park boundary the speed limit can be changed at will by the tunnel operators. The speed is 45 MPH for the roads leading into and from the tunnels. They can lower their section to any speed they wish, often down to 25 MPH.
I try to picture a mix of new speed limited vehicles and older driver-controlled vehicles at the moment the limit goes from 45 to 25.
Interesting scenario. BTW, I've got kin from your general area - Rose Hill/ Ewing, Lee Co. VA. Beautiful place with lots of history!

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Interesting scenario. BTW, I've got kin from your general area - Rose Hill/ Ewing, Lee Co. VA. Beautiful place with lots of history!
Hello; I know those places. I am maybe 12 miles from Ewing VA. I can be in Lee County VA in minutes. I live near Harrogate TN. Can see part of LMU campus from my yard.

Pretty country for sure.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
If I understand correctly, manufacturers will have to provide such systems, but nobody says that the drivers must actually use them, nor that they cannot be turned off. It's just like the other safety systems (e.g. traction control, line assist, collision avoidance, etc.) which are mandatory already (at least in Europe they are), yet we can still turn them off.
Even if this one can't be turned off (though this is extremely unlikely), we will still find a way to kill it. Nothing is unkillable.
I think it’s more of a “camels nose under the tent”…as in once it’s installed for a couple years, what’s to stop them from mandating it’s use 😉

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
what’s to stop them from mandating it’s use
Theoretically nothing would stop them from mandating anything. After all, if they have the power to put us all under house arrest when there's a new virus around, or to force us to wear muzzles, then they can do anything.
But the chances of that happening are quite slim. And most people wouldn't comply anyway. I'm pretty sure it will be just like the other 'safety' features that are currently mandated on new cars.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
After all, if they have the power to put us all under house arrest when there's a new virus around, or to force us to wear muzzles, then they can do anything.
Some of us did not comply and "they" did nothing since "they" do not have that power.

Now if the State Congress passes a law, then they do, but no one man in this country has that authority. It surprised me how many did not know this.

It was great in some respects, IE traffic was at levels last seen in the 1980's. I had a blast driving my mustang.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Some of us did not comply and "they" did nothing since "they" do not have that power.

Now if the State Congress passes a law, then they do, but no one man in this country has that authority. It surprised me how many did not know this.

It was great in some respects, IE traffic was at levels last seen in the 1980's. I had a blast driving my mustang.
lol… I may or may not have set a couple of records from LA to San Diego during that time 😂

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Perhaps we should start a petition drive to limit the amount of cocaine and prostitutes that the Assembly and Senate members can have?

OP
OP
JetGray_Mach1

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
so is your SoCal in LA, or sandy eggo? I work in the SFV, but lived in SD for awhile 😬

and yes, Mr.Scott needs to take a long walk off a short pier 😂
Sandy eggo lol. I am in Orange County, basically right in the middle between SD and LA.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Right on the money, CJ. I have bought several copies of the book and given them away. No Kindle for me.

Add to the list “Brave New World” and “Animal Farm”. And for any that doubt, read Paul L Williams “Operation Gladio” is a good start there.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Some decades ago there was a book by Kurt Vonnegut. Do not recall the title. I do not think it was Slaughterhouse Five, which, if I recall correctly, was about his experience as a POW during a firebombing of WWII.
The premise of the story was making every one equal. If you had 20-20 vision you had to wear conforming glasses to make your vision the same as some average. If you were fit and of normal weight you had to wear weights and/or restrictive clothing to make you of average mobility. So on and so on. I think the appliances were called handicaps in the story.

I think a point may be that some have wanted these sorts of controls over others for decades if not centuries. That somehow currently we actually are approaching these levels of control is perhaps more the story than there are let us control others freaks among us. The desire to run other folk's lives is not new.
That some levels of these controls have been put in place is evident. Among them is the demise of incandescent light bulbs. Not that switching to more efficient lights is a bad idea, I have done so. I now use mostly LED lights. The issue is edicts from on high to take away the choice.

An only marginally related point is the BIT COIN mining operations. If the idea behind doing away with incandescent is to reduce the "waste" of electricity, then these BIT COIN operations ought to cease.
What I have read is they use around one percent of all the electricity generated each year. Such an operation showed up in my rural TN Claiborne county a few years ago. Made the news for the complaints from neighbors about the noise.
Sponsored