Sponsored

So you want to hit the road course...

Skenneyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost 6MT, PP, recaros
Bone stock 2015 EcoStang. Performance pack and Recaro seats and not much else. There's a road course nearby that has $50 track days. Buddy with an SN95 says he got probably 35 laps in, 50+ miles on the track.
The next one is in October, and I want to see how she compares. She's no drag racing queen but with the massive brakes and sticky tires and stiff suspension and recaros she's definitely more at home on a road course. Wonder if she'll put a hurting on his slightly modified sn95...he may pull in the straights but I know I have way more brakes and mechanical grip.

Anyways. What am I gonna be looking for to prevent damage to the car? I know intercooler can't keep up but it's a decently high speed track so maybe that won't kill me. No oil cooler but it'll be a cooler fall day so hopefully that isn't a huge worry.

Anything I need to know?
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I would recommend the oil cooler even on a cooler day. Pads, and brake fluid are a good idea too.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Bone stock 2015 EcoStang. Performance pack and Recaro seats and not much else. There's a road course nearby that has $50 track days. Buddy with an SN95 says he got probably 35 laps in, 50+ miles on the track.
The next one is in October, and I want to see how she compares. She's no drag racing queen but with the massive brakes and sticky tires and stiff suspension and recaros she's definitely more at home on a road course. Wonder if she'll put a hurting on his slightly modified sn95...he may pull in the straights but I know I have way more brakes and mechanical grip.

Anyways. What am I gonna be looking for to prevent damage to the car? I know intercooler can't keep up but it's a decently high speed track so maybe that won't kill me. No oil cooler but it'll be a cooler fall day so hopefully that isn't a huge worry.

Anything I need to know?
$50!!! Wow, I would love to see a track day at that price around here. Being you have a PP model, it should be up to the task of some fairly aggressive driving. The brakes (assuming they aren't too warn) should handle a track day and the cooling system should be up to the task (being a cooler month). The only area I see potential issues would be the intercooler, which could potentially heat-soak during the course of the day.

I'd say monitor all your temperatures and have fun! After the first event you can find the weaknesses and upgrade as needed. Make sure your tires are in good shape as well!

Have fun!
-John

I would recommend the oil cooler even on a cooler day. Pads, and brake fluid are a good idea too.
Not a bad idea! An oil cooler is a nice supporting upgrade that will provide some peace-of-mind for longer duration lapping.

Go through my threads.

I go into great detail on what you'll need.
+1

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I take mine to a road course once a month. We have $25 track days put on by the Mustang club and generally get a large collection of everything.

I ran mine with just the Mishi intercooler and intake and it did very well. The brakes (stock base) showed a bit of fade late in the day but otherwise were adequate for the day.

I added an oil cooler before my next go around in October. I will also have the 6 pot brembos and new dampers/springs/sway for this meet.

Last track day I tore down a 2010 GT and essentially destroyed the rest of the cars in my heat-on stock suspension and 275's squared. Now that I'm going to be running the E30 tune and with the other supporting mods I expect to hang in the big kid group.

I should fair well if I can do as well or better in the low-mid speed sections where the EB weight and IRS chassis shine.

Set and watch your tire pressures, and drivers aside, you should be able to walk that SN-95 like a dog.

I make it a habit to pop and prop the hood after every time I got on the course, even after the parade lap. If you have a breeze and the ability, point the car into the breeze after sessions and let the heat get out of the engine bay.

Sponsored

3AlarmStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White EcoBoost Auto
I take mine to a road course once a month. We have $25 track days put on by the Mustang club and generally get a large collection of everything.

I ran mine with just the Mishi intercooler and intake and it did very well. The brakes (stock base) showed a bit of fade late in the day but otherwise were adequate for the day.

I added an oil cooler before my next go around in October. I will also have the 6 pot brembos and new dampers/springs/sway for this meet.

Last track day I tore down a 2010 GT and essentially destroyed the rest of the cars in my heat-on stock suspension and 275's squared. Now that I'm going to be running the E30 tune and with the other supporting mods I expect to hang in the big kid group.

I should fair well if I can do as well or better in the low-mid speed sections where the EB weight and IRS chassis shine.

Set and watch your tire pressures, and drivers aside, you should be able to walk that SN-95 like a dog.

I make it a habit to pop and prop the hood after every time I got on the course, even after the parade lap. If you have a breeze and the ability, point the car into the breeze after sessions and let the heat get out of the engine bay.
How is it tracking an auto that isn't on a 1/8 or 1/4 track? Do you run in Sport Mode? Or just let Drive do the work? I was on the fence about doing our tack day we had this past weekend but, I didn't sign up because I have an automatic.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Paddles.

I drove one lap in S to just learn the car and see how it went. After that it was all using the paddles to downshift to where I wanted under braking and have the rpms where they needed to be on the way out. In the esses I was able to hold the gear with the best RPM range rather than letting the car hunt or be at the top or bottom of the range.

With the tune I had no problem with quick or hard shifts under full throttle or braking.

I also had just as much fun with less worries. Some people were offended, some said it was useless, other saw how it did and were like "wow!".

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT

Great information here! Sounds like you are certainly enjoying the EBM and working up to some nice upgrades. Thanks for the feedback on the intercooler and intake.

-John

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm going to my first HPDE event on Sunday. What gauges do you recommend setting for my APv3? Oil temp, boost...?

Also downloaded harry's lap timer for my phone so I can show how crappy I drive! :D

Miller Motorsports Park - West track.