Sponsored

So what's the deal with the 2K-rpm rattle?

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I remember my Hemi had a tick same day I drove it off the lot. Listened to a couple others same thing. Motor knocking is a different story. There’s a difference between a knock and a tick....

As I said before... “turn radio up, drive the car harder”
Sponsored

muzzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2017 F250 KR
I've read about the infamous '2K rattle' many times here before, but never heard it... until today, so probably made it since mile 1. Had to leave the house early, meaning in quiet mode, so I heard the damn rattle. On my car, it's closer to 2,500 rpm than 2K, but I assume the others are the same, and just called the '2K rattle' for simplification purposes. At any rate, that damn rattle is not subtle at all. And it lasts for a good 300 to 400 rpm, so its 'band' is not that narrow. Here are my questions:

1. Does anybody know what the hell causes it?
2. Does it happen cold, hot, or both? If both, problem is if you're on the freeway or highway, you'd be cruising right in that rpm range, so hard to avoid without downshifting to 5th, at which point car woulf consume more gas, have less range, and make more noise (and have more wear too). If only when cold, it'd be easier to avoid. Still heard it about 10 minutes into my trip. Oil possibly not up to full operating temperature, but close. I think it was less loud, but couldn't concentrate on that due to traffic requiring my attention.
3. Do you guys think it could be detrimental to the engine in the long run, to try to avoid that rpm band, or doesn't really matter?

The good news is the majority of owners have it, for what I can tell now. The bad news is why Ford hasn't fixed it after so many years? It can't be good. Maybe not detrimental, like the 1st gear clunk on motorcycles with a wet clutch, but sounds embarrassing. I'm going to leave the exhaust in sport most of the time, so I don't have to hear it. Ha ha. I don't feel any vibration on the engine or gas pedal, etc. That's good news, I guess. All comments welcome. Thank you.
JC

Hood support rod.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Hood support rod.
I am not sure you are too far off with this. It is really loose and rattles. I secured mine with some sticky backed heavy foam pads, and I do not have the 2K rattle. I have struts and did consider removing it. But for now it is still installed.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I posted this on a different thread....

Of the three 5.0’s I own ranging in age from 2016 to 2020, All make varying degree of noise especially when cold.
My 80,000 mile 5.0 that doesn’t burn a 1 quart of oil in 8000 miles. It’s always had the 2K rattle when cold if you modulate the pedal.
I think a lot of people are getting worked up over nothing more than normal noises these engines make.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It's not the hood rod. If that was the case everyone who has hood struts and removed the hood rod wouldn't have the 2K rattle. Plus the 2K rattle is pretty much only a 2018+ Coyote noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My 2011 Manual and my 2019 Auto both have that same sound. I'm not worried about it a bit.
Good to know; thanks. And me neither now, referring to the 2K rattle. It's just a little annoying... and would still like to know exactly what is causing it (and no hood rods here). But I can't say the same (not being worried a bit) about the infamous 'tick'; hope my car doesn't ever make it :D.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've posted before.
'17 GT both tick and rattle.
Cera-Tec = both gone and haven't come back.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, my car was built on August 09, 2020, and also has the 2K-rpm rattle... just like every other GT/Bullitt. It could still be the chain or tensioner, but Ford supposedly fixed something after April 30th. I personally suspect the HP fuel pump, since it's driven by the engine. But could also be the cam phasers. Just wish Ford would tell us what it is, but that's probably not going to happen at this stage.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Well, my car was built on August 09, 2020, and also has the 2K-rpm rattle... just like every other GT/Bullitt. It could still be the chain or tensioner, but Ford supposedly fixed something after April 30th. I personally suspect the HP fuel pump, since it's driven by the engine. But could also be the cam phasers. Just wish Ford would tell us what it is, but that's probably not going to happen at this stage.
Nope, Ford will never tell. They didn't even say that the BBQ/typewriter tick is caused by after 8 years. They came out with a TSB and just describe it and say it's "normal". I'm surprised Ford hasn't came out with a TSB about the 2~2.2K RPM rattle doing the same thing - saying it's "normal".

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Someone should be able to diagnose and figure out what those noises are.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Someone should be able to diagnose and figure out what those noises are.
As long as it makes it through the warranty timeline, it wont ever need to be "fixed".

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Not saying it even needs to be fixed, although by now I would think some mechanic or engine builder would have figured out what is causing it.
Sponsored