Sponsored

So what's the deal with the 2K-rpm rattle?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've read about the infamous '2K rattle' many times here before, but never heard it... until today, so probably made it since mile 1. Had to leave the house early, meaning in quiet mode, so I heard the damn rattle. On my car, it's closer to 2,500 rpm than 2K, but I assume the others are the same, and just called the '2K rattle' for simplification purposes. At any rate, that damn rattle is not subtle at all. And it lasts for a good 300 to 400 rpm, so its 'band' is not that narrow. Here are my questions:

1. Does anybody know what the hell causes it?
2. Does it happen cold, hot, or both? If both, problem is if you're on the freeway or highway, you'd be cruising right in that rpm range, so hard to avoid without downshifting to 5th, at which point car woulf consume more gas, have less range, and make more noise (and have more wear too). If only when cold, it'd be easier to avoid. Still heard it about 10 minutes into my trip. Oil possibly not up to full operating temperature, but close. I think it was less loud, but couldn't concentrate on that due to traffic requiring my attention.
3. Do you guys think it could be detrimental to the engine in the long run, to try to avoid that rpm band, or doesn't really matter?

The good news is the majority of owners have it, for what I can tell now. The bad news is why Ford hasn't fixed it after so many years? It can't be good. Maybe not detrimental, like the 1st gear clunk on motorcycles with a wet clutch, but sounds embarrassing. I'm going to leave the exhaust in sport most of the time, so I don't have to hear it. Ha ha. I don't feel any vibration on the engine or gas pedal, etc. That's good news, I guess. All comments welcome. Thank you.
JC
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have but I do have The injectors tick on cold starts

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I heard it a few times while starting the car and driving it right away. If that bothers you dont ever buy a Honda V6 as they are notorious with having the VCT rattle even when warm.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You know, just read a different thread and a 2017 owner said his car had both the tick and 2K rattle, so we can eliminate the plasma liner.

Thank you to all for responding. I'm relieved it doesn't seem to have any effect on engine longevity, which is good news. As I mentioned before, I didn't even hear it before, since I always have the exhaust in sport mode. But in quiet mode, which I'll have to use when my wife rides with me, it's quite noticeable without the stereo. Guess will have to have the stereo on all the time then. Ha ha.

So there's no need to avoid that rpm range at all? I think it's louder when cold, but will try to monitor it when I take the car on a trip over the weekend with my wife, since I'll have to drive it in quiet mode most of the time. Does the engine make the noise in N? I'd like to hear it with my head in the engine compartment to hear where it's coming from. I could use my automotive stethoscope too.

Guess it's the nature of the beast then, as most (if not all) cars make it. But it's the first one I hear like that. The good news is it's not felt too, which would annoy me more, like the MT-82 transmission 'clunk' when you shift from N to 1st. Strange nobody knows exactly what it is and it has been present for years and years. Oh well. Good to hear it's definitely not detrimental to the engine :D. Thanks gang.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I believe the 2k rattle on the Gen 3 Coyote is the sound of the high pressure fuel pump ramping up. The pump has a mechanical arm that runs off one of the passenger side camshafts, so I believe that creates a sort of resonance that sounds like a 'fluttering' sound in the 2-3k rpm range. Every 2018+ GT that I've heard in person has this sound. It's less prominent on the autos because it stays in that rpm range much less often.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
These sounds just remind me of other car characteristics people wonder why it happens. I had a Nissan Altima years ago and they had very noisy power steering pumps. It was incredibly annoying to the point I got rid of the car. That and the cheap Jatco CVT. Nissan didn't have a fix except on newer models to put a cover over it. Ford just simply says their sounds normal......not whats actually causing it.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I own many V6 Honda Accords and the rattle I heard in the Mustang sounded just like the VCT rattle. Which when it first happened Honda didnt know what it was so they started replacing parts like the torque converter, manifolds, transmission and lastly the timing set. After all that and many months they came back and said it's the VCT. To be honest while it was annoying car never failed.

I forgot to add that all this happens after the car had 3k on it and it all ended when the car had 6k (7 months later).

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
my last vehicle was a kia optima, it had the same 2k rattle as the mustang does..

i'm starting to think it really might be DI related.. *shrugs*

edit: same sound, same rpm range

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
my last vehicle was a kia optima, it had the same 2k rattle as the mustang does..

i'm starting to think it really might be DI related.. *shrugs*

edit: same sound, same rpm range
It is most likely. DI and fuel pump. My tech verified that the ticks were coming from the injectors and pump. He said it was nothing to worry about. Roush claimed the same thing ( have upgraded injectors from roush so its in their wheelhouse).

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Mine is loud I can hear it with the windows down and music playing . I haven't asked my dealer about it yet but will at some point. I hear it cold or warm I think it is about the same in either case. Car runs like a champ so I've been making the effort to send it!
Sponsored