wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
It may get me back into a Mustang! :)

In 1992, I sold my 1984 Camaro Z28 H.O. L69 for a 1987 Mustang GT 5-speed. Next car was a 1995 Mustang GT 5-speed, and then in Dec 2004 I ordered an '05 GT 5-speed. Kept the '05 for 10 years as a daily driver, and took it to HPDE track days once a year every year. Never an issue the whole time I owned it, and it was the best car I ever owned.

When I decided to replace it, I test drove a 2015 Mustang GT with the Performance Pack and was underwhelmed. The exhaust was too quiet, and the car didn't seem all that much different than my '05. I was ready for a change and went with the BMW.

About a year later, I realized I wanted to go back to an American V8. :eek:

The Camaro SS 1LE caught my attention and that was the only car I was considering. It's so badass. I just couldn't pull the trigger though, because the 1LE option was limited to the base 1SS model, so you couldn't get Navigation, parking sensors, Bose stereo, blind sport monitoring, and the only interior color was black.

Then Chevy announced the 2018 1LE option could be ordered with the 2SS. The issues I had with the 1SS 1LE were gone, so now I had to decide if I could live with that visibility.

But the 2018 Mustang is refreshed with the new clutch and 460 horsepower, active exhaust, and 12 inch gauge cluster. And now the PP2! Magnetic shocks. Stiffened suspension. Those wheels and tires! Lowered. And the visual cues to separate it from the base Mustang. I am excited.

I would like to keep doing a track day each year, but I'm no pro, so I'm not convinced I would drive it hard enough to go into limp mode. It's a factor in my decision, though, so I will need to see some proof one way or the other.

Anyway, I'm definitely torn between the 2SS 1LE and Mustang GT PP2. So excited to have options! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
It may get me back into a Mustang! :)

In 1992, I sold my 1984 Camaro Z28 H.O. L69 for a 1987 Mustang GT 5-speed. Next car was a 1995 Mustang GT 5-speed, and then in Dec 2004 I ordered an '05 GT 5-speed. Kept the '05 for 10 years as a daily driver, and took it to HPDE track days once a year every year. Never an issue the whole time I owned it, and it was the best car I ever owned.

When I decided to replace it, I test drove a 2015 Mustang GT with the Performance Pack and was underwhelmed. The exhaust was too quiet, and the car didn't seem all that much different than my '05. I was ready for a change and went with the BMW.

About a year later, I realized I wanted to go back to an American V8. :eek:

The Camaro SS 1LE caught my attention and that was the only car I was considering. It's so badass. I just couldn't pull the trigger though, because the 1LE option was limited to the base 1SS model, so you couldn't get Navigation, parking sensors, Bose stereo, blind sport monitoring, and the only interior color was black.

Then Chevy announced the 2018 1LE option could be ordered with the 2SS. The issues I had with the 1SS 1LE were gone, so now I had to decide if I could live with that visibility.

But the 2018 Mustang is refreshed with the new clutch and 460 horsepower, active exhaust, and 12 inch gauge cluster. And now the PP2! Magnetic shocks. Stiffened suspension. Those wheels and tires! Lowered. And the visual cues to separate it from the base Mustang. I am excited.

I would like to keep doing a track day each year, but I'm no pro, so I'm not convinced I would drive it hard enough to go into limp mode. It's a factor in my decision, though, so I will need to see some proof one way or the other.

Anyway, I'm definitely torn between the 2SS 1LE and Mustang GT PP2. So excited to have options! :thumbsup:
So, you can't live without navigation (that's what cell phones are for, plus you get on star navigation even on a 1SS 1LE), blind spot monitoring (use the mirrors and be aware of your surroundings), Bose (who cares? the exhaust note is music to me), park sensors (meh, again, be aware of your car's corners). You get more on the 1SS 1LE than you do on a "base" 1SS. You get alcantara on the flat bottom steering wheel, shift knob, Recaros, and rear seats in addition to leather surrounding the alcantara which you don't get on a regular 1SS. Power seats are also fully adjustable on both the driver and passenger sides. You also get HUD, 4 drive modes, independent settings for the exhaust, steering, eLSD, and magnetic ride suspension. I thought Chevy had the worst interior quality wise of the big three, but man was I wong. It's a gorgeous interior and the materials have a high quality feel including the stitched dash insert.

As you know, in addition to the above, you get eLSD, 3.73s, additional coolers (trans, dif, oil...), forged 20s, unique spoiler and splitter, active exhaust, braces, unique spring rates and lowered height, functional hood vents, 6 piston brembos front, 4 piston rear, etc, etc, etc...

I know it is different for every person, but for me the visibility isn't that big of a deal. Took me all of 10 minutes to get used to it.

It is a phenomenal car at a phenomenal price. I just bought a brand new 1SS 1LE for $41,500 out the door. At first I wanted the Mustang, but once the PP2 was released, it was no match for the 1LE package. My wife on the other hand just ordered a PP1 GT which is why I'm still on this forum. I'm not a brand guy, I like all performance cars.

They got the stance and wheel offsets correct also. :clap2:
Sunny day camaro9_b.jpg
Sunny day camaro_b.jpg
Sunny day camaro5_b.jpg
brakes.jpg

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Hell of a Camaro sales pitch. How do you know the PP2 wont match a 1Le??? Somebody do some head to head test the general public doesn't know about. I used to own a SS. You never get used to that horrible visibility. You just say f&*k it and change lanes or back up and pray you don't hit something.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Awful lot of Camaro owners popping up lately.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hell of a Camaro sales pitch. How do you know the PP2 wont match a 1Le??? Somebody do some head to head test the general public doesn't know about. I used to own a SS. You never get used to that horrible visibility. You just say f&*k it and change lanes or back up and pray you don't hit something.
Don't know how the performance will shake out, but I do know that the PP2 doesn't come with extra coolers, HUD, eLSD, or unique appearance items except for the tiny spoler and front splitter. Wheel arch gaps are still huge.

Come on, the visibility isn't that bad. That's what the throttle and mirrors are for. :headbang: My first car was a 1965 Chevelle that had a rear view mirror and one driver side mirror. That's it. No blind spot monitors, no rear camera, no parking sensors, and large C-pillar. I owned that car for 26 years. I guess I can drive anything especially with, WOW, two side mirrors, a rear view mirror, and a camera! I also used to drive a Crossfire SRT6. Way worse visibility than the Camaro. Ever driven a Lotus or a Lambo? I guess those guys also just change lanes while praying to the all mighty. :crazy:

Sponsored

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awful lot of Camaro owners popping up lately.
Well, I own a Camaro, a Dodge, a Toyota, and a Mustang (on order). Yes, I'm on those forums as well. :cheers:

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Don't know how the performance will shake out, but I do know that the PP2 doesn't come with extra coolers, HUD, eLSD, or unique appearance items except for the tiny spoler and front splitter. Wheel arch gaps are still huge.
I'd take a T2R over an eLSD every single day of the week. And so would anyone wishing for optimum performance on a road course. So you might leave that one out of the list of things the PP2 doesn't have. Because it has something way better.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So, you can't live without navigation (that's what cell phones are for, plus you get on star navigation even on a 1SS 1LE), blind spot monitoring (use the mirrors and be aware of your surroundings), Bose (who cares? the exhaust note is music to me), park sensors (meh, again, be aware of your car's corners). You get more on the 1SS 1LE than you do on a "base" 1SS. You get alcantara on the flat bottom steering wheel, shift knob, Recaros, and rear seats in addition to leather surrounding the alcantara which you don't get on a regular 1SS. Power seats are also fully adjustable on both the driver and passenger sides. You also get HUD, 4 drive modes, independent settings for the exhaust, steering, eLSD, and magnetic ride suspension. I thought Chevy had the worst interior quality wise of the big three, but man was I wong. It's a gorgeous interior and the materials have a high quality feel including the stitched dash insert.

As you know, in addition to the above, you get eLSD, 3.73s, additional coolers (trans, dif, oil...), forged 20s, unique spoiler and splitter, active exhaust, braces, unique spring rates and lowered height, functional hood vents, 6 piston brembos front, 4 piston rear, etc, etc, etc...

I know it is different for every person, but for me the visibility isn't that big of a deal. Took me all of 10 minutes to get used to it.

It is a phenomenal car at a phenomenal price. I just bought a brand new 1SS 1LE for $41,500 out the door. At first I wanted the Mustang, but once the PP2 was released, it was no match for the 1LE package. My wife on the other hand just ordered a PP1 GT which is why I'm still on this forum. I'm not a brand guy, I like all performance cars.

They got the stance and wheel offsets correct also. :clap2:
I have to admit - that's an impressive price for fitting all of those options in there. I can't really get over the looks outside. From some angles it looks pretty awesome (I like the front corners)... but the sides and back looks like a lot of body without much to break it up. I did like the ZL1 1LE I saw in Detroit in August - but I think realizing what it was and what it could do gave me beer goggles ;)

joec63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB

Come on, the visibility isn't that bad. That's what the throttle and mirrors are for. :headbang: My first car was a 1965 Chevelle that had a rear view mirror and one driver side mirror. That's it. No blind spot monitors, no rear camera, no parking sensors, and large C-pillar. I owned that car for 26 years. I guess I can drive anything especially with, WOW, two side mirrors, a rear view mirror, and a camera! I also used to drive a Crossfire SRT6. Way worse visibility than the Camaro. Ever driven a Lotus or a Lambo? I guess those guys also just change lanes while praying to the all mighty. :crazy:
Mustang-Performance-Pack-Level-2(16).jpg

Congrats on the car but just comparing the photos of yours and the PP2 Mustang I don't see that much difference in wheel gaps. I get it, we all have our reasons for justifying a purchase. Personally I just chalk it up to personal preference and call it a day. Anyway, enjoy the car!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Ok your right. The Camaro guy has spoken. The visibility is great! It never gets mentioned in any reviews?:headbonk: This guy says it's amazing. So that's....that, He's got mirrors. This isn't camaro6 my friend. Camaros don't Sell as well as mustangs for a bunch of reasons. The visibility is just one of them. Like I said I was a SS owner. So I'll play the same I'm just a car guy" game right along with you. And as a car guy. The first thing I'd do to a 1Le . Is peal that goofy black sticker off the hood.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Mustang-Performance-Pack-Level-2(16).jpg

Congrats on the car but just comparing the photos of yours and the PP2 Mustang I don't see that much difference in wheel gaps. I get it, we all have our reasons for justifying a purchase. Personally I just chalk it up to personal preference and call it a day. Anyway, enjoy the car!
Have to see it in person to see what the wheel gaps look like. The biggest drawback in my book is the splitter on a splitter.

Why??

OP
OP
wjones14

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT

Like someone else said, you make a great sales pitch for the 1LE. :)

Sure I can live without Nav, Blind Spot monitoring, Bose stereo, parking sensors, a little color in the interior, but why should I have to?

The interior is a big deal for me. Here's a picture of the interior I'm coming from. I got a bit spoiled with the BMW, and neither the Camaro or the Mustang is going to match that quality.

I will say that I wish the Mustang had the HUD. And I wish it had a PDR.

But I wish the Camaro had better visibility. I know Camaro owners say it's not that bad once you get used to it, but honestly, is there a car that has worse visibility?

Like I said the jury is still out for me. If Motor Trend and other reviewers report that it goes into limp mode after a few laps on a road course, that could be a deal breaker.
5T2A5616.jpg

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
That's one of 2 reasons I didn't get the Camaro.

Visibility was horrid and would have given a migraine if I drove longer than 1/2 hour.

And those back seats are totally unusable.

Glad I have the Mustang now though

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Stop posting your boring 1Le pics. :lol:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Dude I get u love ur 1le, don't blame u, awesome car. But come on for the last several days nearly every thread u spam it with photos of ur car. We now know what it looks like and time to stop posting photos. Just make a sig and we can still see it that way. U think people would want me to constantly post photos of my HC on every thread I respond to? I think not. We r all car guys here but enough of the photo spam.

Side note I'm stoked about the PP2 also. Kind of the s550 version of a boss just likely less rare. Curious as others r regarding the coolers. Hoping that it's not a deal breaker. I'm sure for avid racers it is but I am more of a once every month or two kind of racer. Not looking to push it to 10/10 but maybe 8/10. Can't wait for the magazine rests. Wonder why they r taking so long.?
Sponsored