Show Me Your Drying Towels!

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
I'm really bad when it comes to the drying process. It takes me so much work to get those water spots off because the towels I use absorb so much water. Tonight I used 5 towels and it was the best I could do because I ran out of dry ones. :frusty: I made sure to let the biggest portions of water run off (opening the hood, trunk, and doors), and using 1 towel to wipe off the big drops, and the other 4 to actually dry the car.

So, instead of buying 10 more towels, I'm hoping you guys can enlighten me on what you use!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Get big drying towels.
Two should work.
Don't be afraid to ring the water out.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I'm really bad when it comes to the drying process. It takes me so much work to get those water spots off because the towels I use absorb so much water. Tonight I used 5 towels and it was the best I could do because I ran out of dry ones. :frusty: I made sure to let the biggest portions of water run off (opening the hood, trunk, and doors), and using 1 towel to wipe off the big drops, and the other 4 to actually dry the car.

So, instead of buying 10 more towels, I'm hoping you guys can enlighten me on what you use!
First off, don't use regular towels, you're more likely to put swirl marks and who knows what else on your car. Plenty of places sell large, absorbent microfiber drying towels that you can use.

Secondly, unless you're doing some sort of paint correction after the drying process (the only reason to fully towel dry it for a completely clean finish), you're better off using either a detailing spray or something like Adam's H20 Guard & Gloss as part of your drying process. I've found it best to use sheeting action with the hose to get some excess water off, microfiber the bad spots, then hit it up with detailing spray as I dry. Most detailing sprays (some are sold specifically as "drying aids" that repel water) will aid in the process and keep your from getting water spots all over the place and it will save you a step.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Foxtrot

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
First off, don't use regular towels, you're more likely to put swirl marks and who knows what else on your car. Plenty of places sell large, absorbent microfiber drying towels that you can use.

Secondly, unless you're doing some sort of paint correction after the drying process (the only reason to fully towel dry it for a completely clean finish), you're better off using either a detailing spray or something like Adam's H20 Guard & Gloss as part of your drying process. I've found it best to use sheeting action with the hose to get some excess water off, microfiber the bad spots, then hit it up with detailing spray as I dry. Most detailing sprays (some are sold specifically as "drying aids" that repel water) will aid in the process and keep your from getting water spots all over the place and it will save you a step.
oh gosh yeah, I'm only using microfiber ones. :D

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Here is my towel, and it works pretty darn good. The heated air makes quite a bit of difference, and the velocity of the air allows you to work quickly enough to avoid most water spotting. Once done, I do touch up with Mothers wash and wax detailer.

proorange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I use the same thing and it works great.

Here is my towel, and it works pretty darn good. The heated air makes quite a bit of difference, and the velocity of the air allows you to work quickly enough to avoid most water spotting. Once done, I do touch up with Mothers wash and wax detailer.

Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium

jeffrt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium - Magnetic
I still have a Mr. Clean Auto Dry that I use, and a big stash of filters for it. No towel needed, and no spotting. I'll be sad when I finally run out of filters in a few years.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe