Selectable Steering Comfort to Normal everytime I start my car

OP
OP

toxzl2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
I agree, but where do we start? There are so many different variables...

1) Model year
2) V-6 vs. EB vs. GT
3) 400A & Active Exhaust vs. 401A & Active Exhaust (2018)
4) AT vs. 6sp
5) PP1, PP2, Magnaride
6) Other tech option combos (Blis, Adaptive CC, etc)

I have an '18 GT....400A, Active Exhaust, and 6speed. My AE and drive mode default to normal.
EB 2018, 201A, PP, Blis, Adaptive CC, 10A, Memory Seats
Sponsored

OP
OP

toxzl2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
I was at my dealer yesterday and spoke with the service manager with whom I have known for years about this. He did some quick research and told me that the only time the steering mode should default to normal is when the battery cable is removed or the battery goes dead. I explained that some 2018 owners are complaining that it goes back to normal at every restart. He promised to contact Ford Engineering to see what might be causing that and if there is a re-calibration needed. Hopefully, he will get back to me soon.

I don't think it will retain a drive mode that cancels or lessens stability control (track or drag, for example) upon start-up but it should retain the steering mode since that is not safety related.
Thank you brother! Exactly... steering mode should retain your last setting, my old EB 2015 did...

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
18 gt pp 401, safe and smart....no magride no active exhaust

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My 18 GT premium MT82, 401A, PP1, magneride, active exhaust, safe and smart, shaker pro resets to normal every start up. No big deal since I actually have it set to quiet start and I switch to mymode once I get on the highways.

OrangeFury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
I get a kick out of people who start their vehicle and immediately drive off. I like doing my one minute “preflight check” which includes steering wheel position, lights & drive mode (depending on weather), steering mode, HVAC, audio, gauge check & seat position and seat heat/cool setting. So no, I don’t mind resetting any defaults since every drive is a bit different from the last.
That's a very good point, will have to 100% agree with you on this one as I tend to do the very same thing :thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP

toxzl2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
Ok, I found something interesting...

If I use remote start with my key fob, it will retain the last settings... if I use my car start engine button it won't...

It says I have 2 admin keys

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
interesting i need to pay attention to that...

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
That is interesting and adds to the mystery. I have no doubt that it is supposed to retain the settings unless the settings are track or dragstrip. My dealer was supposed to touch base with someone in Ford Engineering about this. I will follow up with him today.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
i hope he does :) let us know!

JinNTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium Fastback
2018 GT Prem, 401a, Active Exhaust, Safe and Smart, A10, Enhanced Security, BLIS, Shaker Pro

Everything reverts back to normal on startup, I just kick it over to My Mode (comfort steering, track exhaust) and all my settings change to how I want it.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Ok, here is what my service manager was told by his contact at Ford Engineering:

If you have MyMode set, steering will default to normal at each start-up. If you do NOT have MyMode set up, it will retain the steering setting that you last used. That is the way it is designed.

That is exactly the way my car works. It also retains the sport exhaust mode that I have set. I have 401A.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Dammit! I spoke too soon. I unchecked MyMode and the first time I tried it, it retained the steering setting. The 2nd time I tried it, it went back to normal.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
lol yeah - I scheduled a maint appointment to drop it off for this issue and the trans issue I have been seeing, and a couple other things that may or may not actually be an issue....I troubleshoot too many manufacturing architectural design flaws in IT code all day, not troubleshooting fords coding issues also, this is my toy I don't want to deal with that lol.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
What do you think of this?

My name is Melissa, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I am following up regarding our chat from earlier today.

Thank you for allowing me to look into your inquiry further. You asked about the steering settings, and how it is defaulting back to normal whenever you restart your vehicle. I reached out to a Subject Matter Expert for advice. I have confirmed that this is a concern that your local dealership can fix by updating the cluster. If the dealer checks for service messages, they will see one for IPC update, and that should resolve this concern.

OP
OP

toxzl2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
ETIS tells me there are already software updates on 4 modules in my 3rd Jan built '18...

Image Processing Module A (IPMA)

Telematics Control Unit (TCU) Module

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Do we have to take our cars to the dealer? :headbonk:
Sponsored