Scary day... Full limp mode after calibration tool reflash

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8B.

This morning I had the "great" idea to use my calibration tool to flash the factory settings. Once it was done, the car went into full limp mode. This is a first for me. No rev-matching, no hill assist, unable to put the car into mode, etc. I had to run an errand so I drove it like that until I got to my destination. I parked and turned the car off. When I came back to the car and started it all was back to normal. No codes, no limp mode, just normal.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to fix it? How can I prevent this from happening again?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Your battery was probably below 12.3 volts.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I just checked my battery and it read 12.4V (engine off).

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Always put a charger on the battery when flashing a tune. Despite that, the factory tune doesn't really work with the different MAF and throttle body that the tune comes with. If you flash back to stock, you need to swap all the intake parts as well.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8B.

This morning I had the "great" idea to use my calibration tool to flash the factory settings. Once it was done, the car went into full limp mode. This is a first for me. No rev-matching, no hill assist, unable to put the car into mode, etc. I had to run an errand so I drove it like that until I got to my destination. I parked and turned the car off. When I came back to the car and started it all was back to normal. No codes, no limp mode, just normal.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to fix it? How can I prevent this from happening again?
You installed the stock tune with the Power Kit throttlebody and CAI? If so that's why

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
You installed the stock tune with the Power Kit throttlebody and CAI? If so that's why
Have since reflashed the performance tune. After that it did the same thing. Drove the car a few miles, turned it off, turned it back on, and now it is working fine.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Have since reflashed the performance tune. After that it did the same thing. Drove the car a few miles, turned it off, turned it back on, and now it is working fine.
Good news

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It takes a restart or two for it to recognize the new throttle body after flashing in my experience. Why did you flash back to stock though?

Sponsored
OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
It takes a restart or two for it to recognize the new throttle body after flashing in my experience. Why did you flash back to stock though?
I wanted to see what the difference in performance would be. Ever since I installed the power kit it really doesn't feel that different from when it was fully stock. What I didn't know is that I had to also replace the intake for it to work. Stupid mistake.... Live and learn. Good thing we have great folks on this forum willing to help out. I've learned a lot from this thread alone.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wanted to see what the difference in performance would be. Ever since I installed the power kit it really doesn't feel that different from when it was fully stock. What I didn't know is that I had to also replace the intake for it to work. Stupid mistake.... Live and learn. Good thing we have great folks on this forum willing to help out. I've learned a lot from this thread alone.
I know what you mean. Unfortunately if the fuel isn't good in your area, it won't really be able to do much more than the stock tune as far as timing. I've got the kit too, and often when it's hot out or the engine is hot on 91 octane, it just goes right into knock territory and then has to back off, which can delete a lot of the proposed gains.
Sponsored