Last edited:

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I run 650s in the rear and do not have any problem getting into the bump stops. But I am not sure I have the same internals in my Ridetechs.
At turn 5 Road Atlanta if I went up on the curbs I could feel the passenger rear go ont he bump stop and comming off the curb it would as well. All other areas of the track I could use the curbs and had no problems but at turn 5 the passenger side is fully loaded as you turn up the hill and you are at full throttle in 3rd gear so there is a good deal of compression in that turn or the passenger side.

I run the 600s but I also have a GT350r wing and some under car aero work and will be doing a lot more over the winter. I also need to lower the car another 1" or so to make the aero more efficient so I know the rates will have to come up for that alone.

I am leaning towards a 600-650f and a 700-750r to start with and see how it feels. What spring are you running in the front with your 650 rears?

Dave

Sargent1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H2910
Make/Model: 2016 GT PP M6
Course: Road Atlanta
Best Lap: 1:44.75
Virtual Best Lap: 1:44.23
Brake Pads: OEM PP
Tires: Nitto NT-05 275/19 square
Suspension: OEM PP

Intermediate run group. Used to run Advanced for years in a C5ZO6 but first time in a Mustang on street tires. Really enjoyed the car. Met Dave Saturday afternoon and another gentleman in a Red GT PP. Good times, great people.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Ford Mustang GT/PP
Track/Course: Road Atlanta
Best Lap Time: 1:38.09
Virtual Best Lap Time: 1:37.68
Brake Pads: XP20f XP12r
Tires (Size & Model): Nitto NT-01 275/40-18F 305/35-18R
Suspension: RideTech Coilovers
Other Mods:GT350r wing, 3" Front Splitter, Headers and custom exhaust

Last event of the year, now I have some data so the real work will begin over the winter.

Here are a couple of back to back 1:38.xx's to view, You will notice I do not use the exit curbs at turn 5, I normally do but even with the 600lb rear springs I would hit the bump stop on the passenger side rear shock if I went up there so I decided to stay off the curb to save my shocks. I am still having a horrible time getting use to the shifter on these cars, I added the Blowfish bracket and it made a big improvement but I am thinking the only real fix is the Magnum. Once the stock clutch dies I will have to decide on what is next.

Dave
Awesome runs, love this track. Used to run my bike there, but never been with a car:headbang:

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I really hope [MENTION=22354]tedj101[/MENTION] posts his Daytona experience. Ted is my type of guy. So much experience and just a joy to spend time with. Fast in a stock GT PP with some tire. Awesome stories, Ted is the epitome of our Customer base. A guy that drives the Sh** out it type of guy. He ran some very fast times at Daytona this weekend in a very stock Mustang.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I really hope [MENTION=22354]tedj101[/MENTION] posts his Daytona experience. Ted is my type of guy. So much experience and just a joy to spend time with. Fast in a stock GT PP with some tire. Awesome stories, Ted is the epitome of our Customer base. A guy that drives the Sh** out it type of guy. He ran some very fast times at Daytona this weekend in a very stock Mustang.
He has been texting me all weekend about his weekend at Daytona. We're hopefully getting together for a weekend at NCM.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Daytona 24 Hour Road Course

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Ford Mustang GT base w/ PP
Track/Course: Daytona Speedway - 24 Hour Course- Group 3 (ZO6/GT3-4 Land)
Best Lap Time: 2:19 (Maybe a 2:18) Logged with Race Capture - Beta
Brake Pads: G-LOC R10/R8
Tires (Size & Model): 285/35-19 BFG Comp 2 -19X10 Square
Suspension: stock, camber bolts
Other Mods: Brake Cooling, Rear Differential Cooler, Mishimoto Intake Tube, Ford Performance X-Pipe

Notes: Brakes were awesome all weekend, 30 minute sessions hitting 140-145MPH into the Bus Stop and 150mph at start finish. Started developing cracks in some cheap rotors I had so I threw the Ford ones back on for Sunday. Barely any pad wear. Plenty of pad for my tire.

Tires seemed to have transformed into some super sticky tire late Saturday/Sunday, still excellent life left, very little wear. Played with pressures, ran 35 cold to come off 40-42 hot. I noticed some center wear the first day because I went out at 37 (Because Daytona) and the two pound drop kept them in the 39-40 range for most of the session, just peaking at the end.

First time in the car since April so two days of learning how to drive(shifting mostly). Struggled here and there but 5 ended up being my throw away corner, just too much to process so I left it in 4th through there. Spent most of my time in my Mirrors due to 100-200 more HP closing rates, fully caged and tires Porsches are much faster. Felt good to be much more competitive in the infield portion because apparently computers can only do so much.

Spoke with the head of Audi Club and he told me it will be the first weekend of December next year and they are planning a Banquet. He was meeting with the track today to work out next years event. First Class operation with ACA and HOD. Mark your calenders and start saving for it.
Lap.jpg
15403720_10207980484050588_2907486789201592747_o.jpg

Ghost.5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL1
Man, this looks like a beautiful track (COTA) Rob! I'm suppose to be stationed there 10/17, looking forward to it actually.

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Tim, I'd be glad to comment on my experience at Daytona this weekend.

Daytona has always been a special place for me. I used to race bikes there at a time when I was too old to race bikes. I don't know whether it is the 31 degree banking, the professional way the track is managed or the ultra-competent on-track hospital that makes it so special, but it is unlike any other place that I have run. I retired from bike racing when I was 63 - it's hard on the body.

For a long while I went cold turkey. Then last year, I entered the annual December Audi Club event at Daytona driving a Fiat Abarth. Once again, Daytona worked its magic. I was hooked. It is a long trip back to Delaware from Daytona but I was still lit up like a Christmas tree when I got home. My wife, who is one of the most perceptive and supportive women on earth, understood the importance to me of running on the track and said: "Why don't you get the car you really want?" Of course, I bought a Mustang! TN Coupe, a member here, showed me that the Mustang offers far and away the most bang for the buck and he was right. I ordered the car the way I wanted it. It arrived in February and I started running it in track days. By the end of the season, I had it handling the way I wanted it and I headed off to Daytona for the Annual Audi Club event.

For reasons that are hard to explain, when you walk the track, Daytona seems very narrow and a bit intimidating. That brought butterflies to my stomach as I anticipated mastering Daytona in the Mustang - a much more capable machine for this track than the Abarth. Once I got out on the track and got through turn 3 (this was turn 4 in the motorcycle world) for the first time, the track widened out and the butterflies went away. Once again, the Mustang proved amazingly capable and drove much smaller than its actual size. I was soon using the same braking points that I used in the Abarth everywhere except turn 1 and the Chicane. Given the weight of the Mustang and the difference in speed, that is remarkable.

We had a heck of a lot of cars on track (about 50 in my class) which made clean runs pretty much an illusion, but my speed slowly increased. By the afternoon of the first day, I was running out of brakes going into Turn 1 and the Chicane. I was running R10s with titanium backing plates and they just couldn't handle the heat that was generated in hard braking from 155mph. As a result I had to feather my braking on those spots for the rest of the weekend. (I will go to a harder compound next year - the R10s have been fine for all other tracks that I have run.)

Specific recollections: the two horseshoes are fun in the Mustang. I wouldn't have expected them to be. (They weren't my favorite corners on bikes.) The Mustang is so well balanced when you get it set up that you can steer it with the throttle in those corners. Loads of fun! The kink (car turn 4 and my favorite corner on bikes) turned out to be a real a gas in the Mustang. To my great surprise, you can go through there without braking - you need the whole road to do it, though. Car turn 6 (the first turn onto the banking) is always fun and how you take it determines your ultimate speed on the banking. Surprisingly the Mustang can use several different lines through there effectively. Like turn 6, the chicane is all about exit speed. You need to get onto the banking with as much speed as possible.

My car is a pretty much stock '16 GTPP with a 10" square wheel setup and decent tires (RE71s). No special springs or shocks, just Steeda camber plates to get the front end set up and a Blowfish Racing shifter mount. I don't have a lap timer so I have to take times manually. That is a pain so I only took times one session each on Saturday and Sunday. Traffic makes a big difference and there was a lot, but my times seemed to average 2:18 on Saturday. The best I saw was a 2:15.9 on a clear lap on Sunday. (There were a lot fewer cars on track on Sunday.)

As always, Daytona was great fun. I drove back to Delaware on the Monday after the event. It was my 75th birthday!

<TED>

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats & Happy Birthday.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
As always, Daytona was great fun. I drove back to Delaware on the Monday after the event. It was my 75th birthday!

<TED>
Great story and I wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday! At the age of 45 I am enjoying the Mustang on track as much as I possible can and hope to for many more years. I look forward to seeing all you guys on a track somewhere soon, now I just need the weather to cooperate or move south so I can run year round. :thumbsup:

Dave

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2016 Mustang GT PP + Recaro
Track/Course: Willow Springs Big Willow
Best Lap Time: 1:32.483
Brake Pads: Stock PP
Tires (Size & Model): Pirelli Corsa System 285/35/19 on MMD (replica) 19x10 wheels
Suspension: AFe Coilovers, Maximum Motorsports Camber plates BMR vertical links, BMR Toe rods
Other Mods: MGW Race spec short shifter, MBRP catback

Magnificent Bastard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So many...
Hi - new here, because I'm about to pull the trigger on an S550, but I love track talk.

Not sure if it helps or is appropriate, but I have some times in my 2012 Boss 302 on some of these. Car is stock as a box of rocks except for Carbotech XP12/10 pads and a GT500 Wing with Gurney Flap - car got really floaty above 135 MPH until I added that...

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2012 Mustang Boss 302 w/Torsen and Recaros
Track/Course: Road America - Standard layout
Best Lap Time: 2:41:38 w/AIM Solo
Brake Pads: Carbotech XP 12/10
Tires (Size & Model): Pirelli P-Zero 255/40/19 F and 285/40/19 R
Suspension: Stock
Other Mods: Brake cooling ducts, transmission cooler, GT500 wing

Track/Course: Autobahn South
Best Lap Time: 1:39:59 w/AIM Solo

Track/Course: Blackhawk Farms
Best Lap Time: 1:21:50 w/AIM Solo

Track/Course: Gingerman Long
Best Lap Time: 1:47:76 w/AIM Solo

I have other lap times, but they were in my Porsche, Miata or EVO X, and as such aren't in this post.

Great thread - I love to see what everyone is doing out there, particularly on tracks I know well.
Sponsored