Sponsored

S550 battery drain

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
A car fax doesn't always tell everything. If something did happen and for the person to save their insurance they could have done it themselves or with someone they knew that would not report it.
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Presume you have a coupe. Put the rear seat back down and make sure the trunk light is not on.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Always lock the doors, and never leave the key within 12' of the vehicle also.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Presume you have a coupe. Put the rear seat back down and make sure the trunk light is not on.

Also Check this thread; another M6G user found that his console light was staying on with the lid shut. He has pics of how to take apart the rear section of the console which exposes the switch. This may be the same switch (or location of a security switch) for the security package.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/center-console-armrest-light-twisted-seatbelt.173334/

Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
my first instinct would be to remove both battery terminals.
wire brush both posts and inside both terminal clamps.
assemble, and tighten firm but not overdo it.

then all the other stuff mentioned :)

so ofter fail to start is just dirty or loose battery connections.
but other stuff works .. high current through the resistance of a poor connection drops too much voltage for starter.
lighter current loads work fine.

OP
OP
Joe5oh

Joe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP 2018
Hey guys I recently bought a 2018 mustang Gt PP1 10 SPD FBO and absolutely love it. For some odd reason the car keeps dying over night itā€™s happened about 6-7 times within two months and needs to be jumped. I purchased a new battery about a month ago and the problem hasnā€™t stopped. Thereā€™s clearly some electrical issue drawing power when itā€™s off has anyone had this issue?
So guys after getting a new battery doing battery reset a parasitic draw test and everything possible im still having the same issue with the car dying. We did find that the glove compartment light stays on even when the car is off do you think this could possible be the drain and to pull the fuse once and for all to correct this problem and does your light stay on even when the car is off but console lid is open?

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
There is an interesting video on Youtube from Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics where he troubleshot a 2017 Lincoln doing the same thing as yours. It was about a year or so ago. IIRC he separated the fobs from the car, & waited a while before all the modules went to sleep after the car is powered down. It took him a while to figure it out. I think it was the module that controlled the entertainment system kept turning back on and drawing down the battery. I'm not saying this is the bad part on your car, I'm only saying that this could be a similar type issue. If you are near PA, I'd reach out to him. Edit: I found the video here: Its a three part video, and it is really interesting. Another Youtuber I follow, South Main Auto in Avoca, NY does really great electrical diagnosis work. I've been to his shop and he's worked on my car, he's the real deal.

In order to really figure this out you'll need a wiring diagram, scanner, meter, and training on how to do voltage drop tests. You'll need to figure out which circuit is drawing power when it shouldn't be. Electrical gremlins are the worst. Good luck.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
So guys after getting a new battery doing battery reset a parasitic draw test and everything possible im still having the same issue with the car dying. We did find that the glove compartment light stays on even when the car is off do you think this could possible be the drain and to pull the fuse once and for all to correct this problem and does your light stay on even when the car is off but console lid is open?
Dude.

Sentences. Punctuation.

Are you asking about the center console? Or the glovebox?

Also; have you taken the car for a nice 1-2 hour drive since getting the new battery?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Joe5oh

Joe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP 2018
Dude.

Sentences. Punctuation.

Are you asking about the center console? Or the glovebox?

Also; have you taken the car for a nice 1-2 hour drive since getting the new battery?
Lol. I apologize for the grammar my frustration is driving me crazy. Iā€™m referring to the center console remaining on even with the car being off. The battery was replaced about a month ago. Iā€™ve driven it plenty but seems about once a week the car will be COMPLETELY dead in the morning. Iā€™ve done the BMS reset ford and many other suggested. Even then parasitic test and nothing is showing me any signs of what the problem can be.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
No the car has a clean car fax and Iā€™ve even delved into its visits to ford and work that was done and nothing indicates there was an issue up all the way up from 2018 to Jan 2022 Iā€™m unable to see anything after that though. I did the BMS reset and changed the fob. Cars running fine hopefully this eliminates the problem. If it happens again Iā€™ll have to just do a parasitic draw test and take out each fuse one by one which Iā€™ve been trying to avoid due to being so time consuming.
Since it looks like it might come to that, I think a better and much quicker way is something like this:
1) disconnect half the fuses. If problems is resolved, you know it's in the half that was disconnected. If not, it's in the other half.
2) Since you now know in which half the problem is, repeat step 1), and disconnect
half of the fuses that contain the problem.
3) Repeat till you find the, hopefully only one, problematic fuse.

Since it dies overnight, at least it should not take too long to find the problem, but it's no good for the battery to completely discharge like that, least of all repeatedly, so if you still have your old battery, I'd install that during this process. I'd also start by disconnecting all fuses first, just to be sure doing that fixes the problem.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Lol. I apologize for the grammar my frustration is driving me crazy. Iā€™m referring to the center console remaining on even with the car being off. The battery was replaced about a month ago. Iā€™ve driven it plenty but seems about once a week the car will be COMPLETELY dead in the morning. Iā€™ve done the BMS reset ford and many other suggested. Even then parasitic test and nothing is showing me any signs of what the problem can be.
The radio stays on until your open the door or until 10 minutes pass after the car is shut off.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
.....Iā€™ve driven it plenty.....
Please....focus on specifically what I'm asking;

Have you driven continuously for at least 1 hour? Not to the store and home. Not 15 minutes and then home. For at least an hour cruise?

IIRC, the console switch for the light can be replaced. I'd use the search function but I swear I've read others have the same issue.

ETA; do you pay any attention to the voltmeter? Do you know what it usually reads?

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Please....focus on specifically what I'm asking;

Have you driven continuously for at least 1 hour? Not to the store and home. Not 15 minutes and then home. For at least an hour cruise?

IIRC, the console switch for the light can be replaced. I'd use the search function but I swear I've read others have the same issue.

ETA; do you pay any attention to the voltmeter? Do you know what it usually reads?
Good idea on the fuses.obviously car not running
I'd pull all same size fuses first so you don't put them back in wrong spot.id Start with lowest- amps first have you had battery charging circuit load tested at auto zone
It's possible your alternator isn't fully charging your battery and your car is drawing battery power slowly during the day.if you have voltmeter check battery voltage while car is running..should be around 14 volts.i have voltage gauge in My car and it's always at 14v.
Sponsored