Sponsored

S550 2020-2023 Brake fluid sensor recall

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
My dealer called to see if I wanted to setup an appointment for the recall. They said they offer Mobile Service, so they sent a tech out. Took only 15-20 minutes. They did warn that for the recall to be completed, it would revert any tune on the vehicle to stock, nullifying any aftermarket tune. Car is already stock, so no concerns there, but just an FYI for any interested.
Sponsored

Bullitt$Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3456, 2018 F150 CC Lariat, 18 HD SGS
Well it took 40 minutes and talking to two people at Ford to get an answer as to if this could be done OTA on my car. I was told to check the build number of the software in SYNC. If I had 23188 it was the most current version and in fact it was up to date. So it appears that it is possible to get it OTA on an S550.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
My dealer called to see if I wanted to setup an appointment for the recall. They said they offer Mobile Service, so they sent a tech out. Took only 15-20 minutes. They did warn that for the recall to be completed, it would revert any tune on the vehicle to stock, nullifying any aftermarket tune. Car is already stock, so no concerns there, but just an FYI for any interested.
So, you are saying the dealer has to return the tune in the PCM back to stock tune to perform the update. I have the FP tune in my 2020 ecoboost that ford does not allow for returning to stock tune except for me having to pay the dealer 185 to 290 bucks depending on dealer from them to reflash the stock tune in the PCM.

So, if they are required to do the recall if they have my car in the dealership for any reason and it has to be on stock tune then they should have to return to stock tune with no charge to me. I have been wanting to get rid of the FP tune to use a cobb AP and this may be a way around me have to pay for the stock tune reflash.

I need to call my local dealer and confirm, more than one way to skin a cat.

BD

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Nope, Skipping this BS …check your fluids.
If this does more then just the brakes and messes with tunes and bricks cars etc then it’s probably some green initiative, power reducer…PASS

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
So, you are saying the dealer has to return the tune in the PCM back to stock tune to perform the update. I have the FP tune in my 2020 ecoboost that ford does not allow for returning to stock tune except for me having to pay the dealer 185 to 290 bucks depending on dealer from them to reflash the stock tune in the PCM.

So, if they are required to do the recall if they have my car in the dealership for any reason and it has to be on stock tune then they should have to return to stock tune with no charge to me. I have been wanting to get rid of the FP tune to use a cobb AP and this may be a way around me have to pay for the stock tune reflash.

BD
How come you don't like the FP tune?

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
How come you don't like the FP tune?
I like the FP tune as it runs great but all the programs' function do not work in my tune. When going into the configuration function that should auto populate with my axle ratio and tire size of 3.15 axle and 776 tire rotation circumference ratio it shows a 2.70 axle ratio and 632 tire circumference ratio. I try to input the correct numbers and it will not accept them and just reverts back to the incorrect numbers. So, if I chose to change my rear gear to a 3.31. 3.55, 3,73 or change tire size I am screwed since it will not accept the change. Also, the octane adjust function for if I got a bad tank of fuel to help prevent misfires/engine damage will not work and neither will the misfire diagnosis function. I have been in touch with FP tech for over a year about this problem and just get the same old BS of they are having an engineer looking into it so basically, they are just blowing smoke up my ass hoping I would go away. Well, I did, and they will never get another penny of my money and I will shout to all I can that they are a worthless and unconcerned company once they have your money.

Right now, as far as I am concerned Ford is nothing, but a greed filled worthless car company that will never get my business again.

You do not even have the ability to return to the stock calibration in 18+ ecoboosts from the FP tune except by paying a dealer 150 to 290 bucks to have them reflash the "as built data" back into the PCM.

Ford stands for fixed or repaired daily, found on road dead, flip over and read directions.

Yes, I am very pissed if you cannot tell.

BD

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]

BD
That's what I was told, yes.

Hope it works in your favor.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
So basically nobody is minding the store and can't bother to read 'git log'. Nor run a battery of validation tests with EVERY build of the firmware with necessary simulation or injection of defined failure states.

This is software engineering 101 for crying out loud! It took the Koreans to pinpoint this? Many months after the cars hit US market?

Downright pathetic and irresponsible, Ford! What else don't these numbskulls not bother to test and verify in the safety systems?
We make jokes about this regarding programmable logic controller techs. "I don't always test my code, but when I do it's always during production".

Gregdd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
23 green mach1 manual p0022
The first time I change my brake fluid I am going to drop the level and see for myself if the car knows the brake fluid level is low. Am I missing something ? 40 year old cars with no software have a low brake fluid warning light that works.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The first time I change my brake fluid I am going to drop the level and see for myself if the car knows the brake fluid level is low. Am I missing something ? 40 year old cars with no software have a low brake fluid warning light that works.
It won't. The problem is that the information that the brake fluid level is low never makes it to the cluster to inform you about it. Unplugging the level sensor pre-recall does nothing visually, whereas post recall it now properly triggers the light on the dash.

Note, if you have an analog cluster and a manual car, the "BRAKE" light is shared with the E-Brake. So drop that to test it.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It won't. The problem is that the information that the brake fluid level is low never makes it to the cluster to inform you about it. Unplugging the level sensor pre-recall does nothing visually, whereas post recall it now properly triggers the light on the dash.

Note, if you have an analog cluster and a manual car, the "BRAKE" light is shared with the E-Brake. So drop that to test it.
Testing the correct function of the warning light is part of the recall procedure the dealer techs must perform after they flash the BCM with new calibration. It states to disconnect the low level sensor connector to verify the warning lamp illuminates.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was told, yes.

Hope it works in your favor.
I got a call from a dealer about 30 miles away from me today (not my local selling dealer) asking if they could schedule me for an appointment for their mobile service to come perform the recall. I was asked if my car was tuned and told them yes it had the FP tune in it and asked if it had to be on stock tune to perform the recall and was told yes. I explained that the FP tune for 18-23 ecoboosts does not allow for me to return to stock tune and that has to be done by dealer.

I asked that since it was a recall did that mean they had to return to stock tune for free in order to have the recall completed and was told no they were not required to do that to perform recall. He said that the FP tune should take care of the low brake fluid lamp issue so did not think the recall was required, so I asked if that meant they could document/record that the recall had been performed so it would no longer show in fords system, and I was told no they could not do that without actually performing the recall.

So, I went out and checked to see if my FP tune did correct the no low fluid warning lamp issue or not by starting the car and disconnecting the sensor wire from the MC reservoir and the lamp did not illuminate so the FP tune does not change or correct the no low fluid lamp issue.

I called the service writer back and informed him that the FP tune does not fix or change the lamp issue and he said that he would talk to the service manager to see if they could work out something such as a discount on returning to stock tune and complete the recall for me. I did not hear back from him today so hopefully will get a call Monday to see if they are willing to help me out.

This is one of the 3 dealers within 50 miles of me that quoted me 185 bucks (1 hours labor) to return to stock calibration.

If ford allowed 18-23 ecoboost owners to return to stock tune with the FP program like they do for all other platforms (F-150, Ranger, Maverick, Mustang GTs ETC) I could just flash stock tune back in and have recall completed and the return to FP tune with no costs to me.

BD

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I got a call from a dealer about 30 miles away from me today (not my local selling dealer) asking if they could schedule me for an appointment for their mobile service to come perform the recall. I was asked if my car was tuned and told them yes it had the FP tune in it and asked if it had to be on stock tune to perform the recall and was told yes. I explained that the FP tune for 18-23 ecoboosts does not allow for me to return to stock tune and that has to be done by dealer.

I asked that since it was a recall did that mean they had to return to stock tune for free in order to have the recall completed and was told no they were not required to do that to perform recall. He said that the FP tune should take care of the low brake fluid lamp issue so did not think the recall was required, so I asked if that meant they could document/record that the recall had been performed so it would no longer show in fords system, and I was told no they could not do that without actually performing the recall.

So, I went out and checked to see if my FP tune did correct the no low fluid warning lamp issue or not by starting the car and disconnecting the sensor wire from the MC reservoir and the lamp did not illuminate so the FP tune does not change or correct the no low fluid lamp issue.

I called the service writer back and informed him that the FP tune does not fix or change the lamp issue and he said that he would talk to the service manager to see if they could work out something such as a discount on returning to stock tune and complete the recall for me. I did not hear back from him today so hopefully will get a call Monday to see if they are willing to help me out.

This is one of the 3 dealers within 50 miles of me that quoted me 185 bucks (1 hours labor) to return to stock calibration.

If ford allowed 18-23 ecoboost owners to return to stock tune with the FP program like they do for all other platforms (F-150, Ranger, Maverick, Mustang GTs ETC) I could just flash stock tune back in and have recall completed and the return to FP tune with no costs to me.

BD
From what I've seen only the BCM is being flashed. All the technician has to do is connect to the car using the correct calibration punch in and then perform the update. The FP tune isn't like some of the aftermarket ones where IDS won't connect.

With that said, I know you want the stock tune back anyway so this is probably a good excuse to do it and get the most up to date stock calibration.

Chacho71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1 MT82
Nope, Skipping this BS …check your fluids.
If this does more then just the brakes and messes with tunes and bricks cars etc then it’s probably some green initiative, power reducer…PASS
This is exactly what I was thinking before I had it done. Fortunately I have not noticed a loss in power, it was fun checking to make sure.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
From what I've seen only the BCM is being flashed. All the technician has to do is connect to the car using the correct calibration punch in and then perform the update. The FP tune isn't like some of the aftermarket ones where IDS won't connect.

With that said, I know you want the stock tune back anyway so this is probably a good excuse to do it and get the most up to date stock calibration.

I agree it's the BCM that controls the low brake fluid lamp so not sure why a PCM tune has any effect on flashing the BCM but it was the service writer that asked me if the car was tuned and when I stated it had the FP tune he said it could not be done unless on the stock tune.

It is my understanding that a recall must be performed on any vehicle that enters a dealership regardless of the issue so I may have to call corporate to get them involved. IF FP just allowed 18-23 ecoboost owners to return to stock tune like they do all other platforms that FP sells tunes for there would be no problem getting the recall completed. It's supposed to be done at no charge to the customer period, there is no disclaimer in the recall notice concerning if the car has a tune in the PCM or not.

I will wait till I hear from the service writer before I proceed with a call to corporate.

BD
Sponsored