Sponsored

RUSSIAN builds a V6 (Car right now) (Updated with all new stuff)

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Very nice! I did notice a little more of a rumble with the headers, but it's wonderful to hear what this part will do for the V6, can't wait to see what other bolt-ons become available this year. I think it's better that I'm waiting a year to see how this all turns out.:D

Loved the review and everything else! Can't wait to see what other mods you and everyone else drops in!
Sponsored

OP
OP
RUSSIAN

RUSSIAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 C.O. V6 MANUAL |#399 6G.M.R.|
Thanks! I feel the same way. Can't wait for more parts to come!

Last edited:

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Great video man. Keep them coming if you do more mods.

Sponsored

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Sounds fucking sweet.

Question: No tune required whatsoever, correct?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Russian,
If you don't mind my asking, can you give a price breakdown for the whole thing? $240 labor, $?? parts w/ shipping, other misc $?

Sounds great. I see you live in the east bay. After I get my DIB V6 Convertible, I hope some of us East (and maybe other) SF Bay Area owners can gather for a meet up someplace. I'd drive a a ways to hear your exhaust in person! :thumbsup:

As far as a DIY install, with out a hoist, just jack stands, would you still think the job would still be too much of a PIA? If you had had the ability to keep it on stands for a day or two in a 2 car garage and had 'lotsa' tools would you have done it yourself, do you think? I love doing my own work, but I also appreciate hearing (before I start) that a job is best left to the pros with lift and specialized tools and knowledge. :D

I replaced the timing belt on my 2000 2.5L V6 Sebring convertible fine. But when it came to doing the same for the 2005 Hyundai XG350 V6, I read that you DO NOT want to do THAT job! I was happy to pay a shop then!:D

OP
OP
RUSSIAN

RUSSIAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Russian,
If you don't mind my asking, can you give a price breakdown for the whole thing? $240 labor, $?? parts w/ shipping, other misc $?
Well... the price for headers is 299. I'm not sure if I paid taxes. And labor was 240. So just under $500 all-in.

The job is easy. Unscrew 8 bolts on each side. Take old headers out and put new ones in. It's just half of those bolts are not easy to get to and as far as I know... very hard to do by yourself.

Plus its also about how much you don't want to spend extra money on labor. For me 240 was small enough amount not to do it myself.

And I'd love to get together with other 6G (and other G) owners!

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Russian,
I get a lot of pleasure working on my own cars. I love to save the cost of labor and knowing that the job is done right (no oops, in the rush I forgot to torque one or two of them bolts ;o). But I usually read up on a job first to see if it is WAY more of a PIA than it's worth or special tools/knowledge is necessary... Then I am glad to pay to get it done.

So if this job does not have 'those one or two nuts that take a friggin' hour to get off' and can be done with regular sized hands ;o), I am up for it.

So after you got the first few bolts (or nuts) off the side you delvded into, what was you take on the number of hours you would have guessed to invest in the job?
I recall more than 3-4 hours was more than fit for your situation, which I can understand, not having a place to leave on stands for a day or so.

Anyone else do this manifold for header swap themselves without a hoist?

OMG, I just remembered I know a hot rod guy down the street with a hoist. I bet he might let use his hoist! JERRY! :D

Sponsored

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Russian,
I get a lot of pleasure working on my own cars. I love to save the cost of labor and knowing that the job is done right (no oops, in the rush I forgot to torque one or two of them bolts ;o). But I usually read up on a job first to see if it is WAY more of a PIA than it's worth or special tools/knowledge is necessary... Then I am glad to pay to get it done.

So if this job does not have 'those one or two nuts that take a friggin' hour to get off' and can be done with regular sized hands ;o), I am up for it.

So after you got the first few bolts (or nuts) off the side you delvded into, what was you take on the number of hours you would have guessed to invest in the job?
I recall more than 3-4 hours was more than fit for your situation, which I can understand, not having a place to leave on stands for a day or so.

OMG, I just remembered I know a hot rod guy down the street with a hoist. I bet he might let use his hoist! JERRY! :D
First time Mustang owner here and to (kind of) answer your question i'll say this: The space in our engine bay is quite huge.

You can literally fully grab the manifold with your hand if you want and bolts don't appear (to me) to be THAT hard to reach. That said, it is up to you to decide whether or not you wish to do it :)

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Reading guys say that 300HP is what 10 year old GT's had, and another member remembering his '72 454cid had in that neighborhood made me think...
The hot rod of my early 20's youth was a '69 Malibu Chevelle w/ 350cid and a Muncie 4 speed. I just Googled that car and it seemed it only had 255 HP. The '69 Malibu (for me was my bat outa' hell car coming from my prior high school '62 2 door S-55 Mercury Monterey with 390 cid w/300 HP (but it was a heavy car!).

Maybe I better NOT put headers and exhaust on the Mustang. I remember the sound was so nice when I added the headers to the '69 Malibu, it was hard to keep my foot out of it. The half dollar sized rear two barrels of the Quadrajet kicking in were part of the fun. My insurance premiums will be softly saying... "Stay stoooooock.... Stay Stooooock!" :lol:

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
Russian,

The one thing that will be a lifesaver is a gear type wrench. When I did the BBKs on my '13, I made the mistake of not buying one beforehand. Some of the nuts are easy to get off, others are a pain in the a$$. I haven't looked to see how crowded the engine bay is down low on the S550, but it also made life easier to disconnect the battery, then remove the starter. Drivers side is fairly easy...lots of space. Passenger side got a little tight, especially the front 2-3 nuts. It's not a hard job, just have to take your time and be patient.

OP
OP
RUSSIAN

RUSSIAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
The one thing that will be a lifesaver is a gear type wrench. When I did the BBKs on my '13, I made the mistake of not buying one beforehand. Some of the nuts are easy to get off, others are a pain in the a$$...
I agree with that. Top bolts are easy on both sides. Bottom ones are not. There is no way to get there from the top, and pretty tight if you go from the bottom.

Like I said... I just paid people to do that. But you are welcome to try... Worst case, just put everything back and get it done somewhere.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The one thing that will be a lifesaver is a gear type wrench. When I did the BBKs on my '13, I made the mistake of not buying one beforehand. Some of the nuts are easy to get off, others are a pain in the a$$. I haven't looked to see how crowded the engine bay is down low on the S550, but it also made life easier to disconnect the battery, then remove the starter. Drivers side is fairly easy...lots of space. Passenger side got a little tight, especially the front 2-3 nuts. It's not a hard job, just have to take your time and be patient.
Are Exh. manifolds attached with bolts, or are there studs in the block that use nuts to attach manifold (I'd guess the former)?

"a gear type wrench"
is this a box wrench that has wratchet ability? I have those in metric and standard. Or is it something else? The wratchet box wrenches are of course bulkier than a regular box wrench, so is there room to get it over and onto the head* AND the head of bolt is not too close to wall of manifold (or header) for getting the bulkier wratchet box wrench around?

I'd settle for all but 1-3 bolts being easy. Always seems like there is at least one bolt that only has room for an open end box wrench moving 1/6th turn, move wrench, repeat... ;)
Sponsored